Windows 10: How can I discover what is turning initial NumLock back ON in registry?

Discus and support How can I discover what is turning initial NumLock back ON in registry? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want NumLock OFF. When I do this: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Dec 15, 2018.

1. How can I discover what is turning initial NumLock back ON in registry?

I want NumLock OFF.

When I do this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard]
    "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="0"

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2521100928-1257388768-1882217752-1001\Control Panel\Keyboard]
    "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="0"

the registry is set as expected. (A restart is required to actually turn NumLock OFF.)

When I restart Windows, something changes them back to this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard]
    "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2"

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2521100928-1257388768-1882217752-1001\Control Panel\Keyboard]
    "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2"

How can I nab the culprit that is changing these registry keys?

Warm Regards,

Mark.

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Dec 15, 2018
  2. David Haz Win User

Windows 10 keeps turning Numlock off *Mid-Session*

Hello,

If the NumLock key is turning on automatically, there might be corrupt registries within the system, or that software conflicts are occurring inside the system. For us to isolate the issue about the
    NumLock turning on automatically, kindly respond to the questions below:

• Did the issue occur recently? If yes, what changes were made before it occurred?
    • Are you using a laptop or a desktop?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Aside from modifying the registry, what other troubleshooting steps have you done so far? This is for us to know and to avoid any duplication of efforts on your end.

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Dec 15, 2018
  3. juckt0 Win User
    Windows 10 keeps turning Numlock off *Mid-Session*

Hello,

I discovered multiple threads about Numlock being turned off (or on) when a computer is restarted, or logged out, or password-locked, or etc.

That is NOT what I have.

I will in the middle of a session, try to type in a number, and discover Numlock has turned itself OFF since last time I typed in a number.

I have already tried editing the registry to set "Initital Keyboard Indicators" to 2.

juckt0, Dec 15, 2018
  4. How can I discover what is turning initial NumLock back ON in registry?

Numlock on at startup

Ditto for me on Win 10 Pro.

I edited the registry to the suggested values to no effect.

Then tried the trick of shutting down at the login screen after manually turning on the Numlock.

Remarkably, this actually worked, but only for the next startup.

On subsequent starups the Numlock was off.

Tom123_834, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

How can I discover what is turning initial NumLock back ON in registry?

1. How can I discover what is turning initial NumLock back ON in registry? - Similar Threads - discover turning initial

2. wininit.exe initiated the power off of a Virtual Server - How do I turn it back on?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wininit.exe initiated the power off of a Virtual Server - How do I turn it back on?: The process wininit.exe has initiated the power off of computer HQ-XXXXX-XX on behalf of user Admin for the following reason: No title for this reason could be foundReason Code: 0x800000ffNo one can seem to give me the answer that I need to get this Virtual Server turned back...
  3. wininit.exe initiated the power off of a Virtual Server - How do I turn it back on?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wininit.exe initiated the power off of a Virtual Server - How do I turn it back on?: The process wininit.exe has initiated the power off of computer HQ-XXXXX-XX on behalf of user Admin for the following reason: No title for this reason could be foundReason Code: 0x800000ffNo one can seem to give me the answer that I need to get this Virtual Server turned back...
  4. how do i turn numlock off

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i turn numlock off: ive pressed fn+12 but its not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-numlock-off/2a26c8e7-d78c-4be3-9bad-6c70ca59a47b
  5. how do i turn numlock off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i turn numlock off: ive pressed fn+12 but its not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-numlock-off/2a26c8e7-d78c-4be3-9bad-6c70ca59a47b
  6. how do i turn numlock off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How can I turn the search box back on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I turn the search box back on?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Valkriaine [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hogvzg/how_can_i_turn_the_search_box_back_on/
  8. Turn on Numlock from terminal.

Turn on Numlock from terminal.: I have a numpad layer on my keyboard but no numlock key. How can I turn on numlock? Literally the only topic I can find is setting the InitialKeyboardIndicators key to 2 to 'Turn on NUMLOCK at startup.' I don't even have that InitialKeyboardIndicators key. I just want to...
  9. How to set NumLock to be on permanently or be harder to turn off?

How to set NumLock to be on permanently or be harder to turn off?: I'm well aware of methods to set NumLock to be on at startup, but what I want it for it to remain on, even if I hit it. So I want to either disable it, or remap it to another function. (A second Backspace would be helpful, but not needed.) Ideally, I'd like to be able to...
  10. Anyone discover how to bring back "Ask me what to do" (power button)?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Anyone discover how to bring back "Ask me what to do" (power button)?: I have a Lenovo Ideapad whose power button is wayyyy too accessible, so I would LOVE (as in: pay for an app, even!) to find a way to restore the old "Ask me what to do" when the power button is pressed. 38678