Windows 10: How can I downgrade my windows license key?

Discus and support How can I downgrade my windows license key? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I regrettably used a 3rd party website to upgrade my windows 10 home that I got when I bought my computer a while ago from bestbuy since I wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SeanBinnie, Nov 22, 2019.

1. How can I downgrade my windows license key?

So I regrettably used a 3rd party website to upgrade my windows 10 home that I got when I bought my computer a while ago from bestbuy since I wanted to try doing some remote access stuff when I wasn't there. A few hours later I noticed that they activate windows watermark appeared again so I assume they realized it was a stolen key and removed it. Since that key doesn't work anymore, I tried to see if I could go back to my old licence key which I had saved a picture of on my phone from a command I found that I used in command prompt, but it doesn't recognize it.

Is there a way to revert back to the old licence? It was originally for windows 8 so is that a problem? Do I have to shell out more money to get another key?

Thanks

:)

SeanBinnie, Nov 22, 2019

2. Product Key not valid for downgrade

The problem is Microsoft never handled it.

Downgrade rights is handled by Lenovo, etc.

This is the information I saved before Microsoft pulled it:

Here is the information about Downgrade rights. It is an old Microsoft link which they removed but the information still apples>

Device Partner Center

Downgrade rights for Windows software
    The following OEM versions of Windows software are eligible for downgrade rights.

[table][tr][td]Windows 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Windows 7 Professional
    [/td][td]Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Business
    [/td][td]Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to:
    • Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition
    Note Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.[/td][/tr][/table]

Note downgrade rights are only available as long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version,
    as outlined in the
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows software
    To downgrade eligible Windows software, end users must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
    • Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
    • Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

That's why I advise you to contact Lenovo.

Bill Smithers, Nov 22, 2019
  3. bl4kh4k Win User
    Downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise with key

I know there are ways to downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Window 10 Professional with suggestions like this here: Is there a way to downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro?

However, I'm wondering if its just easier to enter a license key! Are there any ramifications to just entering a new license key into Windows 10 and then rebooting to activate Pro and leave Enterprise?

Also I'm aware of Enterprise being installed for a reason due to being installed by IT from a company in question however... doesn't apply here.

bl4kh4k, Nov 22, 2019
  4. ic_988 Win User

How can I downgrade my windows license key?

How to Windows 10 Pro OEM downgrade to Windows 7 Pro

Understanding downgrade rights
    Updated 11/30/2016

Important: the information on this page is intended for system builders and the downgrade rights that apply to their customers. If you are a customer of a direct OEM, please contact your OEM for more information about downgrade rights. If
    you are a direct OEM, please contact your Microsoft Account Manager.

Downgrade and down-edition rights are an end-user right that Microsoft offers to customers for certain OEM products which meet the technical requirements for a Windows software downgrade. Downgrade rights are documented in the Microsoft Software License
    Terms that customers accept upon first running Windows and Windows Server software. Thanks to downgrade rights, end users who have acquired a later version of the software (such as Windows 10 Pro or Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard) can use an earlier version
    of the software until they are ready to migrate to a later version technology.

If a product includes downgrade rights, the license terms for that product will indicate which earlier versions of the software may be used.

Downgrade rights will vary depending on if the software was acquired via volume licensing, OEMs, or full packaged product (FPP).

Downgrade rights for Windows software
    The following OEM versions of Windows software are eligible for downgrade rights.

Windows 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to:

• Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Windows 7

Professional

Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:

• Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Business

Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to:

• Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition
    Note Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.

Note downgrade rights are only available as long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version, as outlined in the
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet.

Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows software

To downgrade eligible Windows software, end users must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
    • Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
    • Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.
    The downgrade process

Follow these steps to downgrade to an earlier version of Windows software:

• Use genuine Windows media and a corresponding product key for the version of Windows that is eligible for downgrade. The media/key should come from a previously licensed product from the OEM or retail channel.
    • End users who are licensed separately through Microsoft Volume Licensing (VL) may provide their VL media and key to a system builder to facilitate the downgrade on their own systems.
    • Insert the downgrade-eligible version of Windows media and follow the installation instructions.
    • Enter the product key.
    • If the software was previously activated, it cannot be activated online. In this case, the appropriate local Activation Support phone number will be displayed. Call the number and explain the circumstances. When it is determined that the end user has an
      eligible Windows license, the customer service representative will provide a single-use activation code to activate the software. Please note that Microsoft does not provide a full product key in this scenario.
    • Activate the software.
    For scenarios involving large volume downgrades, end users are encouraged to consider VL which provides the benefits of reimaging rights and volume activation, which can make the process of downgrading much easier.

Authorizing a third party to exercise downgrade rights for an end user

Because downgrade rights apply to end users, they are not designed for third-party facilitation, which has many complications. Also, such facilitation is not suitable for carrying out on a large scale.

ic_988, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

How can I downgrade my windows license key?

1. How can I downgrade my windows license key? - Similar Threads - downgrade license key

2. how can i know my installed windows license key ??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how can i know my installed windows license key ??: I bought a new PC with pre-installed windows 10 pro activated already. Now i want to install a fresh windows 10 pro on different drive. So how can i know my installed windows license key ??...
  3. how can i know my installed windows license key ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i know my installed windows license key ??: I bought a new PC with pre-installed windows 10 pro activated already. Now i want to install a fresh windows 10 pro on different drive. So how can i know my installed windows license key ??...
  4. I have a Windows Server 2022 License can I downgrade my key to 2019?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a Windows Server 2022 License can I downgrade my key to 2019?: I have a windows 2022 server license but I have windows 2019 installed on my server can I downgrade my key? so I don't have to upgrade my server? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-windows-server-2022-license-can-i/dde1b918-87e0-417c-a8d0-19074df38083
  5. I have a Windows Server 2022 License can I downgrade my key to 2019?

I have a Windows Server 2022 License can I downgrade my key to 2019?: I have a windows 2022 server license but I have windows 2019 installed on my server can I downgrade my key? so I don't have to upgrade my server? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-windows-server-2022-license-can-i/dde1b918-87e0-417c-a8d0-19074df38083
  6. Upgraded via fake License key and how to downgrade ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded via fake License key and how to downgrade ?: I have asus a17 which comes with preinstalled windows 10 home . i upgraded my windows to pro via a fraud key and its linked to my account . how i can downgrade to home only ?...
  7. Upgraded via fake License key and how to downgrade ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded via fake License key and how to downgrade ?: I have asus a17 which comes with preinstalled windows 10 home . i upgraded my windows to pro via a fraud key and its linked to my account . how i can downgrade to home only ?...
  8. Upgraded via fake License key and how to downgrade ?

9. How I can get my licensed WINDOWS - product key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How I can get my licensed WINDOWS - product key?: I have licensed windows life time free in my laptop. This I got as Free feature along while buying new laptop. I have not educated to collect product key of windows. Recently I need to change battery & service due to other issue they have uninstalled my licensed windows &...
  10. How I can get my licensed WINDOWS - product key?

How I can get my licensed WINDOWS - product key?: I have licensed windows life time free in my laptop. This I got as Free feature along while buying new laptop. I have not educated to collect product key of windows. Recently I need to change battery & service due to other issue they have uninstalled my licensed windows &...