Windows 10: How can I easily rename devices located in Network without ill effect?

Discus and support How can I easily rename devices located in Network without ill effect? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all - I have a question... See the screenshot below. Note the device in grey. Is it possible to *easily* rename some of the W10 devices listed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Compumind, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Compumind Win User

How can I easily rename devices located in Network without ill effect?

Hi all -

I have a question...

See the screenshot below. Note the device in grey.

Is it possible to *easily* rename some of the W10 devices listed without registry hacks or ill effect?

How can I easily rename devices located in Network without ill effect? [​IMG]

TIA.

*Biggrin

:)

Compumind, Jul 4, 2020
  2. wh0pper28 Win User

Network Locations/Media Devices

Hello everyone,

I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC which originally displayed under 'This PC' as a Network Location, however now it is not displayed there at all and the only place it is shown is under 'Network' where is it listed as a Media Device, I have played around with a bunch of settings from the shared folders themselves to the media streaming service to no avail. Could someone please enlighten me with an explanation as to why this is happening as well as how I can resolve it.

Thanks in advance!

wh0pper28, Jul 4, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    add a network location windows 10

Hi Erich,

Adding a network place in Windows allows you to access FTP, Windows file shares, and some HTTP servers directly in My Network Places, without having to use an FTP client.
    To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you tried adding a network location?
    • Are you trying to add a network location or map a network drive?

Meanwhile, if you're adding a network location, we suggest that you follow these steps below about adding a network location:

• Open This PC in File Explorer, click on the Computer tab, click on the
      Add a network location button in the ribbon.
    • Click on Next in the Add Network Location wizard.
    • Click on Choose a custom network location, and click on
      Next
    • Type the address of the website, FTP site, or network location you want to add, and click on
      Next.
    • If you are allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, click on
      Next
    • Type a name you want for this network location in This PC, and click on
      Next
    • If you are not allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, then uncheck the
      Log on anonymously box, enter the user name for the network location, and click on
      Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • If you could not log on anonymously to this network location, you will see a
      Log On As
      dialog prompting you to enter the user name and password for this network location. Check the
      Save password box if you do not want to be required to type the user name and password every time you access this network location. Click on
      Log On when finished.
    • The network location will now open.

If you're mapping a network, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to map a network drive.

Let us know if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jul 4, 2020
  4. How can I easily rename devices located in Network without ill effect?

How can I change a location in Maps on Windows 10?

Hello Peter,

I suggest you to follow the steps below to know how to remove the location that you already saved and verify the result.

• Go to Start Menu.

• Select Settings
      and click on Privacy.

• Select Location and clear the Location History.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

How can I easily rename devices located in Network without ill effect?

1. How can I easily rename devices located in Network without ill effect? - Similar Threads - easily rename devices

2. How can I 'easily' print a Microsoft document from OneDrive WITHOUT opening a PDF or...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I 'easily' print a Microsoft document from OneDrive WITHOUT opening a PDF or...: How can I 'easily' print a Microsoft document from OneDrive WITHOUT opening a PDF or downloading and opening in Word? What happened to quick and easy Ctrl + P? So what is the use of and ROI of me or my organization paying for O365 if Word O365 requires so many steps to...
  3. How can I rename a shortcut?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I rename a shortcut?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jacky-Mo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j7ccgd/how_can_i_rename_a_shortcut/
  4. Can rename Network Connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can rename Network Connection: In the "Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network Connections" I want to rename a connection from "Ethernet" to "LAN A" which is the name on the PC cabinet. But I get the error: "Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists....
  5. Can i rename a User without losing anything?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i rename a User without losing anything?: Finally build my gaming rig, was careless and signed in windows with my email on installation, now my user is named after the 5 first letters of my email and i noticed it too late. Is there a way to rename it? Obviously i dont want to format/delete user since i got 5+tb of...
  6. How can I rename the user folder without breaking anything?

How can I rename the user folder without breaking anything?: So when i bought my computer it was a refurbished dell inspiron and they made the username user. I did the thing where you search the username and then click rename but the location for the user folder and anything that goes into it is still user. I tried doing the thing...
  7. How to find Wireless Devices Physical Locations on a Network?

How to find Wireless Devices Physical Locations on a Network?: I'm looking for a windows program/app (not linux) or method to find the physical locations of wireless devices on an AP I have setup on my network. I have a suspicion there are people sharing devices with others that are not paying their monthly fee. I need definitive proof...
  8. How Can I Switch Between Themes Easily?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How Can I Switch Between Themes Easily?: How can I switch between win themes easily? Is it possible to assign a keyboard shortcut? 107161
  9. How to rename network interfaces

How to rename network interfaces: Hi, I've got a new DSL router and configured it with the same settings as previous. I already tried and successfuly renamed Network Adapters as they were before, it is now Ethernet and Wi-Fi but it is still not enough. netsh interface show interface command still saying...
  10. Network Locations/Media Devices

Network Locations/Media Devices: Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC which originally displayed under 'This PC' as a Network Location, however now it is not displayed there at all and the only...