Windows 10: How can I edit the Administrator File

Discus and support How can I edit the Administrator File in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just recently reformatted my hdd and started installing programs on the newly formatted disk. When I installed Windows 10, I accidentally input... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ed Wood, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Ed Wood Win User

How can I edit the Administrator File

I just recently reformatted my hdd and started installing programs on the newly formatted disk.

When I installed Windows 10, I accidentally input the wrong email address, and added an unwanted security login pin.

Since this is my home computer and my wife and I are the only users of the computer, I want to edit the Administrator file to change the email address on the account, and remove the security pin so that the computer will automatically open to the desktop.

I cannot find a way to edit the administrator file.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

:)

Ed Wood, Jan 21, 2018

2. How can I edit the dictionary suggestions?

Yes.

Rolf Knapper Alpakka Barbakken, Jan 21, 2018
  3. Entegy Win User
    How can I edit the dictionary suggestions?

Are you using the Norwegian keyboard?

Entegy, Jan 21, 2018
  4. Geosammy Win User

Geosammy, Jan 21, 2018
  5. storageman, Jan 21, 2018
  6. Ed Wood Win User
    Thanks for the help. I can now login automatically! I still have the problem of needing to change the email address associated with this account. I will do further research on this and let you know if I am successful in making the change.

Regards,

Ed Wood, Jan 24, 2018
  7. Word Man Win User
    @Ed Wood - after logging into your account at account.microsoft.com, select "Your Info" near left of menu bar at top. Then click on "Manage your sign-in email or phone number". You may then have to do an identity verification through email or cell phone. Then, under "Account Alias", you can ADD an email and then you can change the primary. Finish by removing the old email then if you like.

Word Man, Jan 24, 2018
  8. Ed Wood Win User

I tried as you suggested. I can change my password, but I cannot change the email address listed for the administrator of the account. I have found a procedure for making the change that involves logging into Windows 10, creating a new temporary administrator account, log out of current administrator account, log in the temporary administrator account, delete the old administrator account, restart the computer, and login with the temporary administrator account as the new administrator account.

It sounds a little complicated and I have not tried it yet. I don't know what effect it would have on my installed programs.

Regards,

Ed Wood, Jan 25, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Dear Ed Wood: @Kari says that when you associate the built-in admin account with a Microsoft ID you're stuck that way forever. He blogged about this recently at Win10.guru: This is wrong, Microsoft: Built-in Admin as MSA Win10.Guru. He may have some suggestions about what you should do, but I'm guessing the ultimate answer might be one you won't like very much. If you can "muddle through" in your current state that may be your best option short of a clean (re)install.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 25, 2018
  10. Word Man Win User
    Would you be so kind as to elaborate? Did you get an error message or what?

I just did it myself and had no problem. I added an account alias (a gmail.com address rather than a hotmail.com address) and changed it to primary and then could remove the Hotmail.com address.

Word Man, Jan 27, 2018
  11. mrgeek Win User
    " I have found a procedure for making the change that involves logging into Windows 10, creating a new temporary administrator account, log out of current administrator account, log in the temporary administrator account, delete the old administrator account, restart the computer, and login with the temporary administrator account as the new administrator account."

I've used this various times on several computers, mostly to change User name. "creating a new temporary administrator account' involves create Local Account (will need diff name from current User) THEN make it an admin account. Follow rest of procedure but before you delete current account, copy/move all This PC folders to the corresponding new User name folders (installed programs and apps not affected but Docs, Music, Pics, etc are. Backup externally just make sure nothing is lost).
    After you delete the old admin account (double-check first that personal files transferred satisfactorily), you can, in Settings/Users, elect to convert the Local account to a MS account (sign-in with MS account instead) and enter your desired email address and proceed from there. Only change will be C:\User name which will have the correct MS email that you want to use. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I edit the Administrator File - Similar Threads - edit Administrator File

2. How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers: I want to put a file on 4 computers in the network. How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers? And how can the file not be lost if two computers are turned off?Thank you for your help....
  3. How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers: I want to put a file on 4 computers in the network. How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers? And how can the file not be lost if two computers are turned off?...
  4. How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers: I want to put a file on 4 computers in the network. How can I only edit the file on one computer if it is not edited on other computers? And how can the file not be lost if two computers are turned off?...
  5. How can I remove "file, edit..." from the topbar of the applications ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I remove "file, edit..." from the topbar of the applications ?: Here is an example : Under the application name, I have all the menu available, it happens is most of my apps. Is there a way to hide that ?...
  6. How can I remove "file, edit..." from the topbar of the applications ?

How can I remove "file, edit..." from the topbar of the applications ?: Here is an example : Under the application name, I have all the menu available, it happens is most of my apps. Is there a way to hide that ?...
  7. How can I sign in as Administrator?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I sign in as Administrator?: I am the administrator for my desktop and am trying to delete some programs I downloaded. I keep getting a message that I have to first sign in as Administrator to remove them. So how do I sign in as Administrator when I already am. Very frustrating. Thanks for you help....
  8. how can i open an Access file (mdb) as an administrator?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i open an Access file (mdb) as an administrator?: how can i open an Access file (mdb) as an administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-open-an-access-file-mdb-as-an/bd77bf69-2c0b-461d-8052-1e79eb4c7b5d"
  9. how can I log on as Administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how can I log on as Administrator: how can I log on as Administrator https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-log-on-as-administrator/9984e6b6-06bf-4330-928a-f7003e8e3c30"
  10. How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?

How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?: I am able to edit Properties of a .jpeg file while in File Explorer. I right click on a .jpeg file and am able to type information into some of the fields in the Details tab. When I try to do the same thing to a .mts video file, I can't get a cursor in any of the fields...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to edit file in administrator