Windows 10: How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share?

Discus and support How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I'm trying to export a Hyper-V VM from one system to the network share located on another system. Both systems are Windows 10 Pro 20H2. When I attempt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by hsehestedt, Nov 16, 2020.

1. How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share?

I'm trying to export a Hyper-V VM from one system to the network share located on another system. Both systems are Windows 10 Pro 20H2. When I attempt to do this from the Hyper-V manager I get the following error:

An error occurred while attempting to export the virtual machine.
    Failed to copy file during export.
    Failed to copy file from '<source path of VHD file>' to '<network share>': General access denied error (0x80070005)

This problem is precisely described by the following Microsoft article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...005-export-vms

The article notes that the problem happens because the export is being performed by the system account on the host computer. The article details giving permissions to the computer account of the host system to the share on the destination computer. The problem is that on Windows 10 in a Workgroup environment I don't see any option to give permissions to a computer account.

Anyone know how to do this? I can't seem to figure this out.

:)

hsehestedt, Nov 16, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting a Hyper-V vm keeps everything, GUID always remains the same, original. It's the importing that determines if old GUID and for instance activation will be kept or not.

If imported registering vm in-place or restoring vm, GUID is kept (green highlight in screenshot below). If importing copying vm a new GUID will be created (red highlight). See tutorial Method One Step 6 for explanation for these three import methods: Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Import in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share? [​IMG]

dXBwylFs-Wg

3. Cliff S Win User
    Exporting VM with hyper-v

Damn! I forgot that you told me about that.
    I should have remembered, but such things, I remember only as I do them.
    Would rep you, but I got to spread the love first*Wink

Cliff S, Nov 16, 2020
  4. How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share?

Windows 10 Hyper-V: Export VM to Network Share (either NAS or Windows Share)

Is there any known method by which a Windows 10 Pro (Non-Server) user can use Hyper-V's "Export VM" functionalities to export a virtual machine to a network share?

In my case, "a network share" means either another Windows computer on the network, or my Samba-3.0-compatible consumer NAS. I would like to directly export from Hyper-V a virtual machine to one of these network locations, for disk space reasons.

However, I have learned (hopefully correctly) that permissions are very tricky for Hyper-V, because the actions Hyper-V performs during export are from the "SYSTEM" account, rather than a user account. I guess as a result, the receiving location (the NAS or the other computer) must have certain kinds of permissions set up, but after days of trying I have not found a successful procedure.

Some examples of troubles I have encountered, I have seen the following errors:

• "Failed to copy file from ...", General access denied error (0x80070005) [occurs when I try to export to a windows share, even when permissions for receiving path are set to "Everyone has Full Control"]
    • "Exporting virtual machine...failed", The specified server cannot perform the requested operation (0x8007003A) [occurs when I try to export to the NAS. Occurs whether or not unauthenticated guests have read/write/execute access to the receiving path]

Some questions:

• Is Hyper-V-exporting VMs to network (Samba) shares supported in Windows 10 Pro?
    • Is it supported in Windows Server?
    • For consumer NAS SMB3.0 devices also? Or just Windows shares?
    • Any known method to get this to work?

OrangeSherbet, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share?

1. How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share? - Similar Threads - export Hyper network

2. How can I create a portable Hyper-V VM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a portable Hyper-V VM?: I have a Hyper-V virtual machine VM that I only use a couple of times per year. However, sometimes I need to access it on a different computer. Is there a way to create a VM on a USB drive so I can use it anywhere as long as a Hyper-V is installed?...
  3. How can I create a portable Hyper-V VM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create a portable Hyper-V VM?: I have a Hyper-V virtual machine VM that I only use a couple of times per year. However, sometimes I need to access it on a different computer. Is there a way to create a VM on a USB drive so I can use it anywhere as long as a Hyper-V is installed?...
  4. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  5. The best way to share drive with hyper-v vm

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The best way to share drive with hyper-v vm: What is the best way to share a whole C drive with a hyper-v vm running Ubuntu Server? By the best I mean the fastest r/w speeds. submitted by /u/b1ack_b0ne [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lkc54b/the_best_way_to_share_drive_with_hyperv_vm/
  6. Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016: I am having trouble moving a VM from windows 10 to Server 2016. I have updated Win 10 to 20H2 and applied all available windows updates. I created a VM on Win 10, exported it, and then copied to a server 2016 computer with Hyper-V installed but it does not present as...
  7. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  8. HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine: Hi there I'm trying to clone a W10 VM on to another machine. This new one has INTEL hardware - I've been doing most of my testing with an AMD box - probably a lot of troubles I've had might be to do with the AMD hardware. So I've got HYPER-V all set up - but I can't get...
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?

How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?: I have just installed Hyper-V and Windows 10 on both Host & VM, and set up a wifi virtual switch so the VM can connect to the internet. Fine. But the Network icon in the Folders only shows its own desktop and "tsclient" but not the host PC. How do I get the VM to see the...