Windows 10: How can I extend the main volume of my disk?

Discus and support How can I extend the main volume of my disk? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was dual-booting Ubuntu with Windows 10, but decided I no longer want Ubuntu on my SSD. I've deleted the contents of the partition, but I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by meepo, Nov 5, 2017.

1. meepo Win User

How can I extend the main volume of my disk?

I was dual-booting Ubuntu with Windows 10, but decided I no longer want Ubuntu on my SSD. I've deleted the contents of the partition, but I can't figure out how to extend the main partition to consume the extra unallocated space that was left behind after deleting the contents of the Ubuntu partition. Here are the steps I've taken:

1. Open Disk management

How can I extend the main volume of my disk? [​IMG]

2. Right-click the volume I wish to extend

As you can see, the extend option is unavailable. I thought maybe I just need to delete the 77gb partition to restore the space to the main partition, but it gives me what seems like a pretty serious alert when I try to delete the 77gb partition:

3. Attempting to delete the 77gb partition to restore the 77gb to the main partition

Does this mean that I will no longer have access to the 77gb if I delete the partition? Is this some irreversible change, or am I misunderstanding the warning?

:)

meepo, Nov 5, 2017

2. How to extend OS drive volume in Windows 10.?

Can anyone help? I want to extend the volume space in OS installed drive, but the Extend volume option in not appearing. For other drives it's working perfectly. How to extend my C: Drive volume?

Smruti Ranjan, Nov 5, 2017
  3. i want to merge my one drive L to main drive C :

i want to merge my one drive L to main drive C : for space .. Can you guide me as i never to see extend volume in disk management

patelumang, Nov 5, 2017
  4. meepo Win User

When I try to delete the 77gb partition I get this error:

Any idea why?

meepo, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Your clicking on free space click on c then it should expand you can delete nothing

Samuria, Nov 5, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Your disk is an MBR disk and you can create 4 partitions max. when you created a new 77 gb partition, it became a logical drive in green color.
    Open admin command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list par ===> take a note of the partition # of the 77GB partition
    select par # ====> replace partition # of the 77GB partition
    delete par
    exit

Go back to disk management, right click on C->Extend Volume.

topgundcp, Nov 5, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    It isnt a parition its free space look at the detail it shows 4 paritions as explained you cant delete nothing there is no parition to delete simply click on c and expand it clearley shows up in light green as free space

Samuria, Nov 5, 2017
  8. meepo Win User

Can you confirm for me which partition it is? I'm pretty sure it's partition 0 but I just want to be 100% on something like this. Here's the image:

meepo, Nov 5, 2017
  9. meepo Win User
    I've said in the OP that I cannot extend the 371gb volume. It is grayed out and therefore unavailable.

meepo, Nov 5, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    What do you have in the 15 GB partition to the right of the 77 GB free space? The 77GB of free space and the 15 GB partition to the right of it are both part of an extended partition. It's that 15 GB partition that is keeping you from doing anything with the 77 GB free space.

Right now you have an extended partition which has inside it 77 GB of free space, and the 15 GB partition to the right of it. It's that 15 GB partition that you really need to delete, delete the extended partition (if it is still there after deleting the 15 GB partition), then you will have real UNALLOCATED space. And that's the problem - people are confusing free space with unallocated space - they are not the same thing.

NavyLCDR, Nov 5, 2017
  11. meepo Win User
    How can I check the 15gb partition to ensure there isn't anything important on it?

meepo, Nov 5, 2017
  12. topgundcp Win User
    yep !!! What @NavyLCDR said is correct.
    I suspect the 15GB partition is just the old Recovery image from Windows 8 and don't think you have a need for it.
    Assign a letter to this partition and have a look to make sure or
    If you want to keep it then just copy to an external disk or make a folder in C drive then move everything to this folder.
    Go back to diskpart. Delete the 15GB partition first then delete the 93GB Extented partition. At this point, you'd have 93GB unallocated space and can extend C.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I extend the main volume of my disk? - Similar Threads - extend main volume

2. How can I extend a drive when Extend Volume in Disk Management is greyed out?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I extend a drive when Extend Volume in Disk Management is greyed out?: Windows 10I had two partitions on my computer C and D, I want to delete D and Extend C to include the space in D.I followed the instructions for using Disk Management and deleted the D Drive, when I went to extend the C drive 'Extend Partition' is greyed out....
  3. How can I extend a drive when Extend Volume in Disk Management is greyed out?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I extend a drive when Extend Volume in Disk Management is greyed out?: Windows 10I had two partitions on my computer C and D, I want to delete D and Extend C to include the space in D.I followed the instructions for using Disk Management and deleted the D Drive, when I went to extend the C drive 'Extend Partition' is greyed out....
  4. How can I extend a drive when Extend Volume in Disk Management is greyed out?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. extend volume of the main disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extend volume of the main disk: i cant extend the volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-of-the-main-disk/b2b7de90-24e1-433f-86db-a8e130d694f0
  6. extend volume of the main disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    extend volume of the main disk: i cant extend the volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-of-the-main-disk/b2b7de90-24e1-433f-86db-a8e130d694f0
  7. extend volume of the main disk

8. How can I enable "extend volume"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I enable "extend volume"?: How can I enable "extend volume" for C: partition? I already opened it as an administrator, I have unallocated space 14.35GB and the C: is NTFS. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-enable-extend-volume/bd99c6dd-fd5d-4f72-8c7e-c0164c14faee
  9. How can I enable "extend volume"?

How can I enable "extend volume"?: How can I enable "extend volume" for C: partition? I already opened it as an administrator, I have unallocated space 14.35GB and the C: is NTFS. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-enable-extend-volume/bd99c6dd-fd5d-4f72-8c7e-c0164c14faee
  10. Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk: The main disk where I have my boot and system partition is running out of space. I have an extra disk not used in my computer. In the past, I was able (during installation) to use two disks with stripped partitions (RAID-0-like), now however, I cannot. What I have done...