Windows 10: How can I find large files in windows10

Discus and support How can I find large files in windows10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. How can I find large files on my local harddrive using windows10. I need to clean up unused large files 16407 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by selsmoran, Aug 14, 2015.

1. selsmoran Win User

How can I find large files in windows10

Hi.
    How can I find large files on my local harddrive
    using windows10.
    I need to clean up unused large files

:)

selsmoran, Aug 14, 2015
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 14, 2015
  3. How can I find duplicate files on a disk and in a folder and isolate them for deletion in a folder.

How can I find duplicate files on a disk and in a folder and isolate them for deletion in a folder.

JGannon9091, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Download and run WinDirStat, that should show you what's taking up the space.

Boozad, Aug 14, 2015
  5. LarryWind Win User
    LarryWind, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Thanks for that recommendation, and link to WizTree. Just what I was looking for *Smile
    EDIT .. I installed the above program and ran it. Among the many files it found are as per the screenshot I took, and attached to this post.

What is the C:\windows \panther thing? The image I attached shows only a sample selection of that file

How can I find large files in windows10 [​IMG]

Atomcrusher, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    I use Baidu PC Faster:

How can I find large files in windows10 [​IMG]

It comes direct from one of the largest Chinese IT enterprises, is free and without ads or malware, has a few charmingly Chinglish phrases in its dialogs, and does exactly what you want, regarding large files.

Baidu also make an antivirus and a Chrome-based Browser called Spark.

Baidu PC Faster | We Make PC Faster

Panther is a Microsoft Setup generated folder which contains a snapshot in XML of your old system taken during the upgrade process. It is not needed after the upgrade, but contains fascinating glimpses of what Microsoft telemetry knows about your PC.

Fafhrd, Aug 15, 2015
  8. Antilope Win User

You can search for large (or any size) files in Windows Explorer.

Start Windows Explorer.

Click on "View", select "Hidden items". Now you will see hidden files.

Select the folders to search or go to C: (or other drive letter) and search the entire drive.

In the "Search Quick access" box on the upper right, type...

size: (make sure to include the colon sign)

These file size selections will appear in a drop down menu:

Empty (0 KB)
    Tiny (0 - 10 KB)
    Small (10 - 100 KB)
    Medium (100 KB - 1 MB)
    Large (1 - 16 MB)
    Huge (16 - 128 MB)
    Gigantic (> 128 MB)

Click on one of the file size selections to search for files in that size range.

Antilope, Aug 15, 2015
  9. Can those files be safely deleted?

Atomcrusher, Aug 15, 2015
  10. ricorp Win User
    If you don't have any plans of reverting back to the previous version of Windows, then it's just fine to delete it (or use a 'cleanup' software).

ricorp, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Great ... thanks.

EDIT .. just to make sure .. can I delete the entire "panther" folder i.e. C:\Windows\panther ?

Atomcrusher, Aug 15, 2015
  12. I don't understand why the useful shortcuts to such things as size: and datecreated: (with handy drop-down calendar) are missing in Windows 10. A very retrograde step IMO, even though I often wished more of them were available.

An alternative for the OP is to search for *.* and sort on the size column.

nigelmercier, Aug 15, 2015
  13. ricorp Win User

Yes.
    If I remember it correctly there is another folder (or two) that is associated with the 'panther' folder that can also be deleted. This (or these) folder(s) were created during the Windows 10 upgrade process.

ricorp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I find large files in windows10 - Similar Threads - find large files

2. How can I fix these broken large icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I fix these broken large icons?: So I'd like to use custom icons and to make it I use IcoFx. Still, even though icons should be viewed in large size, they randomly switch to extra small look, make no mistake those icons next to Alan Wake's icon are full cover icons and should appear as a large icon but I...
  3. How can I fix these broken large icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I fix these broken large icons?: So I'd like to use custom icons and to make it I use IcoFx. Still, even though icons should be viewed in large size, they randomly switch to extra small look, make no mistake those icons next to Alan Wake's icon are full cover icons and should appear as a large icon but I...
  4. cant find my large files to uninstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant find my large files to uninstall: when i look in installed apps it says i have 373GB of installed apps but when i go to look at the largest app there it says its PowerToys with 547MB installed and i dont thing thats right my problem isnt related to the sub-topic is forced me to choose a sub-topic...
  5. cant find my large files to uninstall

cant find my large files to uninstall: when i look in installed apps it says i have 373GB of installed apps but when i go to look at the largest app there it says its PowerToys with 547MB installed and i dont thing thats right my problem isnt related to the sub-topic is forced me to choose a sub-topic...
  6. how i can fix the can not find script file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how i can fix the can not find script file: how i can fix the can not find script file C\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\update\manager.js https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-fix-the-can-not-find-script-file/3b28595e-11cf-452f-a8f0-2db71ef28390
  7. how i can fix the can not find script file

how i can fix the can not find script file: how i can fix the can not find script file C\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\update\manager.js https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-fix-the-can-not-find-script-file/3b28595e-11cf-452f-a8f0-2db71ef28390
  8. How can I find it?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I find it?: spend a lot of time, on the internet.One of the sites, I go to. You can download, panoramic pictures.If there's one picture you wanted? You click, save on. And give it, a name. Another picture, was different. It had, no save on.What it did, do. Was offer,a desktop...
  9. How can I recover a deleted file too large for recycling bin?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I recover a deleted file too large for recycling bin?: Good day, everyone. We just did a recording session which resulted in a 90GB video file. My buddy accidentally deleted the file when he was clearing up space and it was too large for the recycling bin. What can we use to recover the file? We haven't overwritten anything...
  10. How Can i install Windows10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Can i install Windows10: How can i install Windows 10 to my FreeDos PC submitted by /u/UnicornGoyo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ioglf5/how_can_i_install_windows10/