Windows 10: How can I find out what is stopping 20H2 update from installing

Discus and support How can I find out what is stopping 20H2 update from installing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The Windows 10 pro 20H2 install just won't complete. It has been failing via automatic updates for many weeks. I downloaded it for a manual install on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by msemmerse, Jan 24, 2021.

1. msemmerse Win User

How can I find out what is stopping 20H2 update from installing

The Windows 10 pro 20H2 install just won't complete. It has been failing via automatic updates for many weeks. I downloaded it for a manual install on Monday and it killed my ssd which now won't reboot - tried lots of times to fix/repair but still nothing. I can still see contents of the ssd if i use it as an external disk so I have bought a new ssd so I can access my old data. Restored my os disk to new ssd from a backup. Downloaded the 20H2 via media creation tool and had 2 attempts to update but both failed and rolled back. I assume I have something which is conflicting with the update. Any ideas how I investigate further?

:)

msemmerse, Jan 24, 2021

2. Update 20h2

Hi Wicki,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

20H2 should not be installed right-away on your device - MS said the rollout is only to a fraction of users and would be labeled as an optional update initially. Are you enrolled in WIP?

You may uninstall 20H2 using the steps below:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2020/10/uninst...

Content on the above blog is written by a Microsoft MVP so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Jan 24, 2021
  3. Installing 20H2 update

Are there any disadvantages about installing Windows 10 20H2 update from Beta Channel

SyedNoor Ali, Jan 24, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Update History is not showing v.20H2

Hi Dominic

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

This is normal behavior in Windows 10, typically when you install a Feature Update like 20h2, the update history is wiped, this is to prevent the user from trying to uninstall an update that was prior to the Feature Update, which would de-stabilize Windows
    10, the list should start building again, when some updates are applied to version 20h2 . . .

DaveM121, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

1. How can I find out what is stopping 20H2 update from installing - Similar Threads - find stopping 20H2

2. How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?: Yeah, I know, I know: "If you don't update, world will end." But in fairness, my experience is that about a third of the time the updates are buggy. Also, many updates don't apply to my situation but the damn things install ANYWAY. And finally, the long re-boot times as the...
  3. How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?: Yeah, I know, I know: "If you don't update, world will end." But in fairness, my experience is that about a third of the time the updates are buggy. Also, many updates don't apply to my situation but the damn things install ANYWAY. And finally, the long re-boot times as the...
  4. How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How can I find out whats downloading?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I find out whats downloading?: [ATTACH] Is this normal? No idea whats its downloading. https://preview.redd.it/msmiwqdkt8361.png?width=1535&format=png&auto=webp&s=909e440c047bc0dfbcd2b03a23ddb3daffe69106 submitted by /u/DolleO [link] [comments]...
  6. How can I stop Windows Update from installing the wrong drivers?

How can I stop Windows Update from installing the wrong drivers?: Hey everyone! So Windows update keeps forcing an install of graphics drivers and wifi drivers that seriously impede my system. My wifi capability with those drivers goes to almost nothing. Is there a way to stop that from happening on the latest Windows version? I tried...
  7. How can I find out what is running in back ground

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I find out what is running in back ground: How can I find out what is running in back ground? How can I set my computer to let me know what is running in the background. I can hear something running sometimes. Since I am on a metered wifi I would Like to know...
  8. How do I find out what was in a feature update?

How do I find out what was in a feature update?: I recently downloaded a feature update, upon downloading the update I wanted to see what it added, but when I click the see whats new in this update link in the update history this is all i get https://i.imgur.com/sIpPCGU.png Is there a way to find out what it actually...
  9. How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service?: The service Device Association Service which Enables pairing between the system and wired or wireless devices. This service is set as Manual (Trigger Start). Normally this service never started by itself during computer turn on or restart. But from recent few days I have...
  10. How can I find out what these "other" devices are?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I find out what these "other" devices are?: I gave up on trying to do a clean install, so I just deleted every single program in control panel. All of my drivers were either automatically updated or I was able to update them myself. These three are listed as unknown. The drivers won't update. I ran the Intel...