Windows 10: How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service?

Discus and support How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The service Device Association Service which Enables pairing between the system and wired or wireless devices. This service is set as Manual (Trigger... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BLaZiNgSPEED, Aug 30, 2019.

1. How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service?

The service Device Association Service which Enables pairing between the system and wired or wireless devices.

This service is set as Manual (Trigger Start). Normally this service never started by itself during computer turn on or restart. But from recent few days I have noticed that this service runs in the background at all times on startup and doesn't go away.

Is there a way to find out exactly which device is triggering this service to start? Surely Device Association Service isn't meant to be running in the background at all times?

I have made sure to update all drivers, everything is up to date. This service isn't using CPU usage and the memory is very low, admittedly. But I still want to find out what is triggering this service to start! I know I can disable the service, but then I won't know what is trying to start it up.

:)

BLaZiNgSPEED, Aug 30, 2019

2. Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services

Hi Balubeto.

Greetings from the distant future.

I'm not sure why the other user was being so difficult in answering your question.

"Manual" and "Manual (Triggered)" are the same mode, but windows 7, 8 and 10 have added features to the "Manual" mode, namely the ability to add very specific triggers which will start a service which ordinarily would not start by themselves. An example of this is the Bluetooth service on a laptop, where the BT handling service only starts when a device tries to connect to the BT radio.

If your service says "Manual (Triggered)" it means that there is one or more triggers enabled. To look deeper into this, first find the service name:

Open up services (By opening the "Run" dialog and typing "Services.msc"

Locate the service in the list, right-click on it and click "Properties". The Service Name is displayed under the "General" tab. For example, my Bluetooth Device Handler service is called "bthserv"

To find out what these triggers are, open the start menu and type "cmd". Rightclick on the "Command Prompt" list item and select "Run As Administrator"

At the command prompt, type:

sc qtriggerinfo bthserv (obviously replace "bthserv" with the name of your service)

All the triggers for that service will be shown below. To find out more about them, you might need to google or ask about for them individually.

To delete (and please, make sure you understand what you're changing here BEFORE you change it) the triggers for a service, type:

sc triggerinfo bthserv delete (again, replacing bthserv with your service name)

Restart the computer and check the service again using "sc qtriggerinfo". There will no longer be any triggers listed. If you check the service in services.msc, you'll see it now says "Manual" instead of "Manual(Triggered)"

SC is the service config command, QTRIGGERINFO is the Query Trigger Information command. TRIGGERINFO is the command to actually modify the triggers.

To show all SC commands and what else you can do with this, just type SC and press enter. Again, please use great care when modifying services, and if you aren't sure of the outcome, keep reading about it until you do. It's also best to leave these alone unless you have a very specific reason for removing the triggers.

UnmetPlayer, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Frank C Win User
    Add a device

I now have the Epson Perfection V500 showing in the
    Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and printers

This is likely because I followed a suggestion to set services
    as follows:
    Device Association Service Manual (Trigger Start)
    Device Install Service Manual (Trigger Start)
    Device Management Enrollment Service Manual
    Device Setup Manager Manual (Trigger Start)
    DevQuery Background Discovery Broker Manual (Trigger Start)

I have lost track of the website that provided that information.

Also:
    Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners no longer shows the Epson Perfection V 500 as disconnected.

I started this investigation because I was told by Epson that there was a way to set the file save location
    in the properties of the Epson Perfection V500. This would allow using the Scan to PDF button to save the scan at the same location during a series of scans. I will look into that.

How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service? [​IMG]

Frank C, Aug 30, 2019
  4. How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service?

Windows Update Service: Manual (Triggered) Is that the same as Windows Update Medic Service

I am having issues downloading Windows updates (Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 amd64 2019-03) where it just continues to initialize and downloads but then starts initializing again for hours. So I went to check the settings as posted below in
    order to fix the issue:

• Restart the Windows Update Services: Open the Service Manager and ensure that they are Started and their Startup type is as follows:
    1. Background Intelligent Transfer Service: Manual
    2. Cryptographic Service: Automatic
    3. Windows Update Service: Manual (Triggered)
    #1 and #2 above are fine but I do not see "Windows Update Service: Manual (Triggered)" at all. Instead I see "Windows Update Medic Service" set to manual. Is that the same thing and if not- should I have a settings titled "Windows Update Service: Manual
    (Triggered)" ? If yes, how to I find where I can add that missing setting into my laptop? Can that cause other issues?

Best,

Lee

solidsilver222, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service?

1. How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service? - Similar Threads - find triggering Device

2. How can I find what account is associated with my device if I don't remember the email I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find what account is associated with my device if I don't remember the email I...: My laptop updated and when I tried getting into it, Bitlocker appeared which I didn't ever set up but I'm aware it comes automatically after researching this issue. When I log into my Microsoft account a key and key id come up but they don't pair up with the one shown on my...
  3. How can I find what account is associated with my device if I don't remember the email I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find what account is associated with my device if I don't remember the email I...: My laptop updated and when I tried getting into it, Bitlocker appeared which I didn't ever set up but I'm aware it comes automatically after researching this issue. When I log into my Microsoft account a key and key id come up but they don't pair up with the one shown on my...
  4. Cannot find Device Association Service

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot find Device Association Service: Hi, I was trying to add a Bluetooth device to my laptop but the dialog immediately crashes after selecting the type of device. The same is true when I try to add printers as well. After doing some searching, I saw that enabling the Device Association Service fixed the issue....
  5. How can I find out whats downloading?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I find out whats downloading?: [ATTACH] Is this normal? No idea whats its downloading. https://preview.redd.it/msmiwqdkt8361.png?width=1535&format=png&auto=webp&s=909e440c047bc0dfbcd2b03a23ddb3daffe69106 submitted by /u/DolleO [link] [comments]...
  6. Device Association Driver Service

Device Association Driver Service: I would like to know what "device"s, and in what "association" consists in practice, and for what purpose(s). 1909 159038
  7. How can I find out what is running in back ground

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I find out what is running in back ground: How can I find out what is running in back ground? How can I set my computer to let me know what is running in the background. I can hear something running sometimes. Since I am on a metered wifi I would Like to know...
  8. How do I find out what device is connecting?

How do I find out what device is connecting?: I have a PC that will randomly play the tune for device connect. I have looked at the system event viewer log and don't see anything showing something connected. As a test I connected a flash drive and I didn't see anything logged either. Is there another place to look to see...
  9. How can I find port number associated with each network service?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I find port number associated with each network service?: I would like to find out which port is being used by each network service. For example, I have Dnscache running as a NetworkService. How can I find which port Dnscache is using? Thanks! Mike...
  10. How can I find out what these "other" devices are?

How can I find out what these "other" devices are?: I gave up on trying to do a clean install, so I just deleted every single program in control panel. All of my drivers were either automatically updated or I was able to update them myself. These three are listed as unknown. The drivers won't update. I ran the Intel...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can I find what is triggering a service in Windows 10