Windows 10: How can I find out why Windows 10 2004 update fails

Discus and support How can I find out why Windows 10 2004 update fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I'm unable to install Windows 10 2004 on my Lenovo Legion Y740-17ICHg laptop running Windows 10 1909 Pro and I'm wondering if there's a way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MogZero, Sep 29, 2020.

1. MogZero Win User

How can I find out why Windows 10 2004 update fails

Hi

I'm unable to install Windows 10 2004 on my Lenovo Legion Y740-17ICHg laptop running Windows 10 1909 Pro and I'm wondering if there's a way to find out WHY it's failing to hopefully fix the problem.

Windows update initially didn't offer the update, but a couple of months ago, it started offering the update. I told it to install the update three times, each time it got to 95% progress and then rolled back with an error code 0x8007042b. After the three failures, it stopped offering the update.

I have subsequently used the Windows 10 Update Assistant multiple times, but it too fails in the same way.

I do not have any 3rd party antivirus or security products installed just Windows Defender.

I freed up over 50GB of disk space but this made no difference.

I ran Windows Update Troubleshooter, again no difference.

I followed the instructions here https://zcom.tech/windows-10-failed-to-install.html/ to:

• Clear c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    • Run DISM restore health and sfc /scannow errors found and fixed according the console window but no affect

I'm actually quite keen to install the 2009 update but this tries to install 2004 first.

I'm not even sure what else to try.

I'm a member of the Insider program and like to take advantage of the new features, although I've not yet installed any insider builds on this machine.

:)

MogZero, Sep 29, 2020

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 29, 2020
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Sep 29, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I find out why Windows 10 2004 update fails - Similar Threads - find why 2004

2. How can I find out why I am being charged for a subscription?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find out why I am being charged for a subscription?: I am being charged a monthly fee of 9.99 and I have no idea what it is for. It says I have a subscription. A subscription to what? Why can't I talk to someone on the phone?...
  3. How can I find out why I am being charged for a subscription?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find out why I am being charged for a subscription?: I am being charged a monthly fee of 9.99 and I have no idea what it is for. It says I have a subscription. A subscription to what? Why can't I talk to someone on the phone?...
  4. The update failed in Windows 10 Home 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The update failed in Windows 10 Home 2004: I have tried to update Windows 10 Home every month since June 2021 and all updates fail. I have also tried using the update catalog to manually download the updates and install them. Continue to the end and then you get an update error message. Tried this from February to...
  5. How can I find the KB Id of a failed Windows update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I find the KB Id of a failed Windows update?: I’m trying to find the update I need so I can download it from Microsoft update catalog but it doesn’t show me the KB Id in settings or event viewer. submitted by /u/lil_dachi [link] [comments]...
  6. How can I find out whats downloading?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I find out whats downloading?: [ATTACH] Is this normal? No idea whats its downloading. https://preview.redd.it/msmiwqdkt8361.png?width=1535&format=png&auto=webp&s=909e440c047bc0dfbcd2b03a23ddb3daffe69106 submitted by /u/DolleO [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 2004 Update failing with 0x803100d8

Windows 10 2004 Update failing with 0x803100d8: I am trying to update to v 2004 but keep getting the same error. The update downloads and runs, reboots twice, then reverts back to my current version. I've tried twice. The first time I ended up on a recovery page asking for my bitlocker key. The second time it just...
  8. Windows 10, version 2004 Update failing

Windows 10, version 2004 Update failing: I am trying to install the latest update but it is failing everytime with error message"We temporarily need more space to install your updates. Please remove some things you don't need right now and we'll try again." . Not sure why this error is poping up as my C drive is...
  9. Windows 10 2004 update fail

Windows 10 2004 update fail: 2004 "Download and install" selected. "Getting things ready" ran twice, the download later shewed 100% complete for 3 hours!! Ran t/shooter and got "failed update" RETRY. Selected retry and option to "Download and install" re-appeared. Same result, any solutions please. Not...
  10. Program stopped working with 2004 update. How to find out the source of the issue?

Program stopped working with 2004 update. How to find out the source of the issue?: Hello everyone, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64Bit. The program in question is a flash based educational software from 2013 that is using a licensing system https://www.allinone-protector.com/ to launch the actual software. The flash files are in an encrypted container file,...