Windows 10: How can I find what is windows defender/antimaware service scanning at the moment

Discus and support How can I find what is windows defender/antimaware service scanning at the moment in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Every time I do a search for a file in Microsoft Visual Studio Code, the defender starts and slows the search, which makes using vscode very hard. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WonderBoy, Nov 17, 2018.

1. WonderBoy Win User

How can I find what is windows defender/antimaware service scanning at the moment

Every time I do a search for a file in Microsoft Visual Studio Code, the defender starts and slows the search, which makes using vscode very hard.

I don't have any troubles to open vscode or any other file, just when I search for files inside vscode the defender starts.

I tried adding the folders of vscode and my projects as an exception, but it didn't help. I tried to turn off various features of both vscode and defender, but the only solution is to stop the real-time protection, which is not much of an option.

So how can I see what triggers the defender to start or what is it scanning at the moment?

:)

WonderBoy, Nov 17, 2018

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Nov 17, 2018
  3. windows defender scanning stopped

Hi Mary,

As per the issue description you are unable to scan your computer using Windows Defender. While scanning your system you are getting an error message "Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped. You can start the service manually or
    restart you computer, which will start the service."

The issue could be if the service responsible for Windows defender either get corrupted or is stopped. Try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows Defender are running. If it is running make sure the status is Automatic. You may follow the steps provided below to check the services.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each service and start the service if not running.

Method 2

If issue persists, try to refer the articles mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Updating your Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Help protect my computer with Windows Defender

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Nov 17, 2018
  4. How can I find what is windows defender/antimaware service scanning at the moment

Cannot schedule scans for Windows Defender

Hi Nathaniel,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you can’t schedule scans for Windows defender and getting error message pop ups: “The combination of properties that task is using is not compatible with the scheduling
    engine” on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

There could be a possibility that this issue might have occurred if there are corruptions in Windows defender services.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1:

You can enable the Windows Defender either from control panel or from services.

Step 1:
    Enable Windows Defender from control panel

• Press Windows + X, Click on control panel.
    • On right top corner click on View and then choose large items.
    • Now from the list click on Windows Defender and try to enable it.
    If not try to enable it from services.

Step 2:
    Enable Windows Defender from services.msc.

• Press Windows + R, to open run prompt.
    • Type services.msc and press enter to open services list.
    • Under services look from Windows defender service and start the service and set to automatic.
    Note: If the services are already started, then click on the option that says: “Restart the service” and check if that helps.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

How to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?

Note: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how
    to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)to
    scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.
    If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

All the above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

How can I find what is windows defender/antimaware service scanning at the moment

1. How can I find what is windows defender/antimaware service scanning at the moment - Similar Threads - find defender antimaware

2. Where can I find Windows Defender Offline Scan results?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where can I find Windows Defender Offline Scan results?: Hello, I have done offline scans in the past but I cant find the results for them, any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-can-i-find-windows-defender-offline-scan/f134e268-a697-4079-83aa-1fd89777328b
  3. Where can I find Windows Defender Offline Scan results?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where can I find Windows Defender Offline Scan results?: Hello, I have done offline scans in the past but I cant find the results for them, any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-can-i-find-windows-defender-offline-scan/f134e268-a697-4079-83aa-1fd89777328b
  4. how can i find a scan?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how can i find a scan?: how do I find a scanned document on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-find-a-scan/57eb0253-9733-450a-a257-d26847a97823
  5. how can I find my scan?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can I find my scan?: How can I find my scan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-find-my-scan/fab02647-502e-430d-b2d3-6bc7d8f75f09
  6. I can't find the Windows Defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't find the Windows Defender Offline Scan: My antivirus notified me about the presence of a rootkit in my PC. I deleted it immediately but the file kept reappearing. The antivirus seemed ineffective in removing this malware so I looked it up on Google and I found that this issue can be resolved with the help of...
  7. how can i find a scan

in Windows 10 Customization
    how can i find a scan: I scanned something to email and cant find it. how do I recover this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-find-a-scan/8c5ba0bf-4264-4d12-bed3-34b8a6d2b866
  8. How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I find out what is triggering Device Association Service?: The service Device Association Service which Enables pairing between the system and wired or wireless devices. This service is set as Manual (Trigger Start). Normally this service never started by itself during computer turn on or restart. But from recent few days I have...
  9. Where can I find a log file for the Windows Defender Offline scan?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Where can I find a log file for the Windows Defender Offline scan?: I've run the Windows Defender Offline scan. It finishes, but I don't know what the result is. Does it produce a log file& where can I find it? I thought that I had found the answer in microsoft forums, but all links with the answers don't go anywhere...
  10. Can I schedule scans with Windows Defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I schedule scans with Windows Defender?: There does not seem to be a way to schedule an automatic daily scan with Windows Defender. I got a action center notification to run a Defender scan. Is that something I can expect regularly? Having to do a regular manual scan will be a pain. 15824