Windows 10: How can I fix a Windows 10 BIOS update that failed?

Discus and support How can I fix a Windows 10 BIOS update that failed? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HP 15-Cd059sa 2YK85EA#ABU My hard drive failed so upgraded with a 240GB SSD. I installed Windows 10 1709 with a USB stick made with HP Cloud... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnClements1, Mar 21, 2021.

1. How can I fix a Windows 10 BIOS update that failed?

HP 15-Cd059sa 2YK85EA#ABU

My hard drive failed so upgraded with a 240GB SSD. I installed Windows 10 1709 with a USB stick made with HP Cloud Recovery. Once installed the laptop did a few updates including a BIOS update which went fine.

The laptop did not offer Windows 10 20H2 so I ran the update manually which worked. After a few restarts to install updates, it restarted for the last time and did a HP BIOS update as before but instead of rebooting into Windows, it rebooted into a DOS like environment to updates other parts of the BIOS, ending with the boot block. When the laptop restarted all I got was a black screen and that is how it remains.

I've tried Windows + B and Windows + V but when turning on but makes no difference with or without a hard drive or BIOS recovery USB stick.

Can anyone offer any help to get it booting up properly again as I suspect the update on the boot block may have gone wrong so unrecoverable?

Also does anyone know if I can get a Super IO as I can solder a new one on the motherboard to save the cost of a new motherboard?

:)

JohnClements1, Mar 21, 2021

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Mar 21, 2021
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Mar 21, 2021
  4. How can I fix a Windows 10 BIOS update that failed?

Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Mar 21, 2021
Thema:

How can I fix a Windows 10 BIOS update that failed?

1. How can I fix a Windows 10 BIOS update that failed? - Similar Threads - fix BIOS update

2. How can I fix no signal after bios showing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I fix no signal after bios showing?: I've recently got a new GPU and went to install drivers. Also my screen has red lines all over it so I also need help with that. The GPU is a zotac gtx 1660 super 6gb and when I was in the middle of installing the drivers, I thought it would restart but it says no signal....
  3. How can I fix no signal after bios showing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I fix no signal after bios showing?: I've recently got a new GPU and went to install drivers. Also my screen has red lines all over it so I also need help with that. The GPU is a zotac gtx 1660 super 6gb and when I was in the middle of installing the drivers, I thought it would restart but it says no signal....
  4. How can I fix no signal after bios showing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How can i fix this, I can't update Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i fix this, I can't update Windows 10: I can't update Windows 10, I used to update normally but around 2-3 months now i still can't update my windows because of this error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-this-i-cant-update-windows-10/9efe060c-0138-4060-b4ac-dca346205c4d
  6. How can i fix this, I can't update Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i fix this, I can't update Windows 10: I can't update Windows 10, I used to update normally but around 2-3 months now i still can't update my windows because of this error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-this-i-cant-update-windows-10/9efe060c-0138-4060-b4ac-dca346205c4d
  7. How can i fix this, I can't update Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How to fix bios update failed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to fix bios update failed: At startup, I can only see this page and there is no restart option src 1 Advanced diagnosis 2 Turn off the computer If I click 1, it shows another 6 options If I click 2, it will shut down my computer, I can try this operation by pressing the Shift key, but it does not work...
  9. bios update failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bios update failed: So I stupidly tried to update the BIOS as recommended by the HP support software I was counting on hard reset if it fail However it got stuck on a black screen with blue box saying 'Flashing Boot Block - 89%' after flashing boot block finish. my laptop screen only appears...
  10. How can I update my BIOS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I update my BIOS?: After the Fall Creators Update, my mom's PC (The 2nd PC under my Specs) has been having issues. When I shut it down, it acts as if its restarting whenever I press the power button to power it back up again. It has an American Megatrends BIOS. I looked up their beep codes,...