Windows 10: How can i fix file explorer consant not responding

Discus and support How can i fix file explorer consant not responding in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File explorer always random says not responding then crashes. After open some times dragging files opens the loading part that shows when it completes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Yamo937, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Yamo937 Win User

How can i fix file explorer consant not responding

File explorer always random says not responding then crashes. After open some times dragging files opens the loading part that shows when it completes but stops and 0 then says not responding then crashes, and the files thumbnails randomly go blank. What is the cause of this? I have not been installing any random applications and I've done many virus scans and any fixes are always temporary if not doesn't work

:)

Yamo937, Oct 22, 2020

2. File Explorer Not Responding

Hi,

I am following very clear instructions online in order to fix File Explorer Not Responding on my brand new computer. Instructions I am following are at this link: https://www.****/knowledge/windows-10-file-explorer-wont-open-solved/

I can get as far as Step 4 where I try to right click on Quick Access within the File Explorer but because it is Not Responding this action does not work and I have to close File Explorer.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get around this when File Explorer is Not Responding?

Alternatively, should I consider storing larger files in a different drive of the computer?

A little background: I have had this computer that came loaded with Windows 10 for about 1 month. The File Explorer would not respond when I first started using it (transferring in new files), and again recently when I have tried saving several (large) design
    files from Illustrator. This may be the culprit for it's bogging down; either that or perhaps because I just deleted 1000's of emails off of gmail? My text display size is at 100%.

Thank you.

ps I am not very computer savvy so please dumb down your responses!

CarlieBall, Oct 22, 2020
  3. File explorer not responding

Hi Sue,

After an update, your PC can sometimes cause software conflicts. We would like to know more about the File Explorer not responding. Please provide answers to the questions:

• Can you please tell us if this update was a regular security update or the Fall Creators update?
    • When you saw a dialog box, did you see a particular error message? If yes please send a screenshot.
    • Did you perform any troubleshooting steps to resolve the concern?

We'll wait for you response to our queries.

Robert Caw, Oct 22, 2020
  4. J. Raúl Win User

File Explorer not responding problem.

Try this steps because I think it's related with quick access in file explorer:

1. Open a new Explorer window.
    2. Click View in the ribbon.
    3. Click Options.
    4. Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    5. Click OK.
    Now it should hopefully work fine.

J. Raúl, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

1. How can i fix file explorer consant not responding - Similar Threads - fix file explorer

2. download file is not responding, Windows11. How can I fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download file is not responding, Windows11. How can I fix it?: download file is not responding, Windows11. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-file-is-not-responding-windows11-how-can/ea53ca81-ff24-482d-92b3-623a799fb683
  3. download file is not responding, Windows11. How can I fix it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download file is not responding, Windows11. How can I fix it?: download file is not responding, Windows11. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-file-is-not-responding-windows11-how-can/ea53ca81-ff24-482d-92b3-623a799fb683
  4. File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Not Responding: I can't upload or attach anything from file explorer regardless of browser. I can open File Explorer on its own but it doesn't respond when I want to upload files online or attach files to email. I tried changing to Microsoft Edge and Opera, and it's still the same....
  5. File Explorer Not Responding

File Explorer Not Responding: I can't upload or attach anything from file explorer regardless of browser. I can open File Explorer on its own but it doesn't respond when I want to upload files online or attach files to email. I tried changing to Microsoft Edge and Opera, and it's still the same....
  6. File Explorer not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not responding: I have a 6 year old Lenovo desktop running Windows 10 with build 19041. Yesterday I installed a second hard disk that I plan to use for backups. My primary disk is a 2tb sata disk while this one is a 500mg sata drive from previous pc where it was the primary drive and ran...
  7. File Explorer not responding

File Explorer not responding: I have a 6 year old Lenovo desktop running Windows 10 with build 19041. Yesterday I installed a second hard disk that I plan to use for backups. My primary disk is a 2tb sata disk while this one is a 500mg sata drive from previous pc where it was the primary drive and ran...
  8. how to fix file explorer not responding in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to fix file explorer not responding in windows 10: every time I try to use file explorer it hunts and hunts and eventually says not responding https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-file-explorer-not-responding-in-windows/b8543f09-128c-4223-8760-85ec810e7cc3"
  9. File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Not Responding: Hi, I am following very clear instructions online in order to fix File Explorer Not Responding on my brand new computer. Instructions I am following are at this link: https://www.****/knowledge/windows-10-file-explorer-wont-open-solved/ I can get as far as Step 4 where I...
  10. Fixing Windows 10 File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Fixing Windows 10 File Explorer Not Responding: File Explorer, also known as Windows Explorer, is the program that allows viewing folders and files and is also responsible for displaying the desktop. Sometimes File Explorer can encounter problems where it gets stuck in a “Not Responding” state. We’ll go through several...