Windows 10: How can I fix scaling on taskbar toolbar icons?

Discus and support How can I fix scaling on taskbar toolbar icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi. I run my system at 3840 x 2160 with scaling at 200%. I made my taskbar two levels tall and on top level I have added a folder as a toolbar to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Doug996, May 6, 2020.

1. Doug996 Win User

How can I fix scaling on taskbar toolbar icons?

Hi. I run my system at 3840 x 2160 with scaling at 200%. I made my taskbar two levels tall and on top level I have added a folder as a toolbar to keep icons for programs I use a lot. Problem is, the taskbar stuff looks fine but the toolbar icons are all tiny. Is there any way to scale them up to fix it?

How can I fix scaling on taskbar toolbar icons? 6ae28d60-ed23-4ff7-935a-b53a118f96d0?upload=true.png

:)

Doug996, May 6, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, May 6, 2020
  3. AndreyT Win User
    Notification area is broken under 110% scaling. Any way to fix it?

The problem is apparently caused by glitchy calculations for "irregular" scaling values' like 110%. It is not surprising that 125% scaling works fine. I have 200% scaling on my ThinkPad and it also woks fine.

But for my desktop %125 is too much. I need %110, just like I had in Windows 7.

You have a lot of custom toolbars, which is why locking/unlocking the taskbar make a difference for you. In the default setup (no extra toolbars) locking/unlocking does nothing in Windows 10. I wish I could unlock the bar and manually increase the size of notification area a little bit, but alas it is not possible.

And, of course, no, I'm not hitting any "exit options", as is clearly demonstrated by the pictures I posted. The invisible notification icon can be made to reappear by rearranging other icons.

You didn't see them because they are not there. The scaling value is not a fixed list, as you seem to suggest. The scaling value is freely specifiable by the user. You are supposed to type it in. You can type in any value: 123%, %99 or 136% if you so desire. The "125%, 150%, 175%" list that you see there is just a suggestion.

No, the icon that disappears is not listed as "hidden" there. As I said above, it is an obvious GUI-level drawing bug.

AndreyT, May 6, 2020
  4. How can I fix scaling on taskbar toolbar icons?

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

There has been an issue with the Windows taskbar which drives me crazy. It has been a problem since Windows XP and the "skinning" of the underlying user interface controls. It still persists in Windows 10.

When using a Toolbar on the Taskbar and the icon size is set to "small", the clickable targets are smaller than the vertical height of the taskbar. No problem, right? Either make the taskbar icon set to "small" as well and the clickable target area matches.

But what if I like the large buttons to click on? Setting the Toolbar (not taskbar!) icons to Large causes the taskbar vertical height to increase. This is fine for the Toolbar, but the application icons in the Taskbar now have an unclickable space beneath
    them. See image below (not my image... found online when trying to find a solution to this.)

How can I fix scaling on taskbar toolbar icons? 6f777bb5-ca6a-4272-baa3-52616c5b675b.png

This doesn't happen in Windows 7 when using the "Windows Classic" scheme... so the problem must derive from the Aero skinning of the taskbar.

To recreate:

• Right click on the taskbar and Unlock it.
    • Ensure taskbar is set to "large icons" mode from Taskbar properties dialog box.
    • Right click an empty area of the taskbar and create a new Toolbar.
    • Right click on the label of the toolbar and choose View > Large Icons
    This wouldn't necessarily be an issue if the clickable region of the Application Icons was the full vertical height of the visible taskbar. It also wouldn't be an issue if the Toolbar "Large Icons" setting didn't have icons bigger than the Application Icons.

If there is a registry hack or other solution PLEASE let me know! I have had this problem with Toolbars since Windows XP, and the Toolbars are essential to my workflow.

Thanks!

spiffyfitz, May 6, 2020
Thema:

How can I fix scaling on taskbar toolbar icons?

1. How can I fix scaling on taskbar toolbar icons? - Similar Threads - fix scaling taskbar

2. 125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar: Hello. I have an issue with icons on taskbar, when I launch some games with low resolution, after that the icons on taskbar looks very blurry. I have toggled "Let Windows try to fix app so they're not blurry", tried change DPI settings in compatibility section, didn't help....
  3. 125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar: Hello. I have an issue with icons on taskbar, when I launch some games with low resolution, after that the icons on taskbar looks very blurry. I have toggled "Let Windows try to fix app so they're not blurry", tried change DPI settings in compatibility section, didn't help....
  4. 125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Icon only representation for a taskbar toolbar

Icon only representation for a taskbar toolbar: Is icon only representation for a user-created taskbar toolbar possible?I added a folder as a taskbar toolbar to taskbar/tray.Even if I assign an icon to that folder via its deskto.ini, only folder's name as text is displayed as toolbar title/name.Playing with...
  6. How can i fix this icon

How can i fix this icon: Can somebody know how to fix this icon? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-this-icon/a3da9979-9e39-46c9-a3fc-94dad21ebc36
  7. Toolbar Icons not Taskbar Icons disappear for Microsoft Apps

Toolbar Icons not Taskbar Icons disappear for Microsoft Apps: This is probably the way that it is, so nothing can be done. I use a single Toolbar for certain Apps. Both Microsoft and 3rd Party. I copy the shortcuts from: Explorer Shell:AppsFolder into the Toolbar folder. I rename those copied shortcuts. The Icons shortcuts...
  8. Custom Toolbar Scaling

Custom Toolbar Scaling: Hi, I run my windows 10 laptop on external monitor using 1920x1080 with 150% scaling. I have added quick launch toolbar to the taskbar. when I disconnect the external monitor, and use my build-in monitor 1366x768 with 100%, all icons on taskbar scale correctly except...
  9. Taskbar toolbar Icons

Taskbar toolbar Icons: Hi Ever since I think windows 98, I have had a particular setup on Windows and I am so used to it that I really don't want to change it. I recently bought a Dell laptop and upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro The Setup I have is that I have the task bar on auto-hide on the...
  10. Windows 10 taskbar toolbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 taskbar toolbar icons: I've been looking all over the paces and was not able to find any inteligent answer. Recently I lost my icons sort order for Quick Launch toolbar. any time after I move icons around to place all in some logical (to me) order, the next time I reboot the computer they are...