Windows 10: How can I fix this error on settings Icon in start/cortana search?

Discus and support How can I fix this error on settings Icon in start/cortana search? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/5zo7ur2iyth51.jpg?width=984&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=26790cac2acc7bf218fd274a6827e88126414346 submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Hialus, Aug 18, 2020.

1. /u/Hialus Win User

How can I fix this error on settings Icon in start/cortana search?

/u/Hialus, Aug 18, 2020

2. Cortana and search fail to start. error 15616

I am currently using windows 10 (x64) as a direct upgrade from windows 8.1

Windows 10 has been working well until now. I do not use cortana, though i do use the search function built into the start menu.

A few days ago the search function, and cortana simply stopped working. By stopped working, the app does not execute when called, and there is a clear error in the event log. The search bar does not respond to keyboard/mouse input of any form. I have attempted
    to search the internet for others with my specific error though found none.

Things i have tried:

• Checking for updates
      • none found
    • rebooted
    • executed an 'sfc /scannow' from an admin powershell window
      • found errors, fixed some of them.
    • executed DISM from admin powershell window
      • Completed successfully
    • repeated step 3
      • no errors found this time
    • rebooted
    The error i can see in the event viewer is as follows:

"0x3D00: Cannot create the process for package Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy because an error was encountered while checking the user-level package status. The application cannot be started because
    it is currently updating."

though there may be other related errors i have not discovered yet.

Is there any workaround to my issue so i can regain search functionality?

theunkn0wn1, Aug 18, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Cortana will not search

Hi Richard,

Please answer these question to assist you better.

• Which is the latest build installed in your computer?
    • Is the issue specific to Internet Explorer?
    • Do you get any error message?

Follow the Methods below and check if Cortana search works as it should. Thank you.

Method 1: Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue still persists follow next Method.

Method 2: Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Do let us know if the Cortana's performance. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Aug 18, 2020
  4. How can I fix this error on settings Icon in start/cortana search?

No Cortana Icon on Microsoft Edge

Hi Praveen,

It is possible that the Show search and site suggestions as I type option in Microsoft Edge isn't enabled which explains why the Cortana icon is not visible. To check, follow these steps:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click the Menu button (...).
    • Click Settings.
    • Scroll down and click View advanced settings.

• Turn on the toggle switch for the Have Cortana assist me in Microsoft Edge
      option.

• Turn on the toggle switch for the Show search and site suggestions as I type option.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

How can I fix this error on settings Icon in start/cortana search?

1. How can I fix this error on settings Icon in start/cortana search? - Similar Threads - fix error settings

2. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  3. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  4. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cortana Search Icons not Working

in Cortana
    Cortana Search Icons not Working: Hello, since I installed the new Google Drive App, my Cortana Search Icons are not showing anymore. Is there a way to fix this without deleting Google Drive....
  6. How can i fix this icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can i fix this icon: Can somebody know how to fix this icon? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-this-icon/a3da9979-9e39-46c9-a3fc-94dad21ebc36
  7. How to fix Windows Search (Cortana)?

in Cortana
    How to fix Windows Search (Cortana)?: How do I fix Windows Search (Cortana)? I have Cortana disabled in Group Policy. I had the experience with the CPU spike with the installation of KB4512941. I uninstalled the update in the recent past and yesterday I tried installing the latest updates by resuming the...
  8. How to change search icon with cortana circle icon???

in Cortana
    How to change search icon with cortana circle icon???: Respect all! Do you know how to change search icon [ATTACH]with cortana circle icon? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-search-icon-with-cortana-circle-icon/bb6b23b4-45fd-4acf-b4be-6e66621e2453"
  9. There's a search instead of Cortana. how do I fix this

in Cortana
    There's a search instead of Cortana. how do I fix this: There's a search instead of Cortana. how do I fix this??? You Can See in This Image, Theres Search Icon Instead of Cortana icon. HELP! (I BOUGHT Windows 10 JUST to Try Out Cortana But :( )...
  10. cortana and start icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cortana and start icon: I can't get the start icon and cortana to search for me. If I left click on the start icon nothing happens. If I right click I get a black box with choices, but I can't get apps and features to come up. I can't get anything to type in the cortana search box....