Windows 10: How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?

Discus and support How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Basically what's on the title, if a regular shutdown leads to the system hanging for a long time during the process, is there any way I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jpaquim, May 16, 2019.

1. jpaquim Win User

How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?

Basically what's on the title, if a regular shutdown leads to the system hanging for a long time during the process, is there any way I can automatically dispatch a `shutdown /p` command?

I've tried it using a timer in a Powershell script, set as the shutdown script in gpedit.msc, but unfortunately it seems that Windows actually waits for the script to finish running before shutting down, so it has to wait for the full timeout anyway. Is there any way I can say schedule this task for 1 minute for now, if the system hasn't shut down by then?

:)

jpaquim, May 16, 2019

2. force shutdown

How can I forcedly shutdown my phone when it is hanged?

vamsiPesala, May 16, 2019
  3. R-T-B Win User
    PC is Suffering Unexpected Shutdowns

Most important detail to me would be whether these shutdowns are sudden, in which case it's likely a short or PSU issue (capacitor aging maybe?) or graceful windows style shutdowns, which suggests software interference.

It could also be overheating components if it's a sudden shutdown. What are your thermals like?

R-T-B, May 16, 2019
  4. How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?

Win 10 hangs on restart and shutdown

No, that's rocket science. I'm posting with 10 already, so the problem was solved two days ago...Thank you.

The Windows 7 shutdown screen simply decided to hang and I finally did a hard shutdown and started it up again, after which it was painless.

required name required as well, May 16, 2019
Thema:

How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?

1. How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs? - Similar Threads - force shutdown regular

2. Win11 - shutdown /p does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 - shutdown /p does not work: Hi There,I've just realized that on Win11 when I perform shutdown /p does not work. On Win10 I used to go to "start" and then type "shutdown /p".In Win11I'm able to see the run command prompting but once I click on it, the computer does not shut down itself.Any advice?Thank...
  3. Win11 - shutdown /p does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 - shutdown /p does not work: Hi There,I've just realized that on Win11 when I perform shutdown /p does not work. On Win10 I used to go to "start" and then type "shutdown /p".In Win11I'm able to see the run command prompting but once I click on it, the computer does not shut down itself.Any advice?Thank...
  4. Why it doesn't shutdown for 30 minutes now? Can i force it to shutdown safely?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why it doesn't shutdown for 30 minutes now? Can i force it to shutdown safely?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/theloneman1996 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l0g06t/why_it_doesnt_shutdown_for_30_minutes_now_can_i/
  5. Force shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force shutdown: Hello Eversince I've been using Windows 10 I have been struggling with many bugs and blue screens. Ok well I'm used to it now. But the thing is, when the computer is stuck, I'm unable to force shutdown and force restart it. I need to wait for the battery to be depleted....
  6. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown: Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not...
  7. How to force close app and shutdown?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force close app and shutdown?: My windows 10 file explorer is not responding sometimes and it's been the 4th times. I don't know why. I wanted to restart explorer proces from task manager but task manager isn't working either. So I restart explorer using the restart explorer.bat file on the desktop that...
  8. How to force install upgrades on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to force install upgrades on shutdown?: Hello. I manage a lot of windows 10 devices (currently running 1809) and need to deploy the upgrade to 1904 version. I use WSUS to deploy the upgrade. After I approved the installation, I see that computers are downloading and installing the update, but in order to complete...
  9. Forced shutdown safe?

in Windows 10 Support
    Forced shutdown safe?: Although not Windows 10 fault my machine got hung up accessing a misbehaving NAS network share. Unfortunately it couldn't resolve and I couldn't restarte explorer. I then tried a shutdown via Ctrl Alt delete but it just laboured on 'restarting' but didn't do it. I left it a...
  10. Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?: Hello, I followed Brink's tutorial here: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 And I saw that there are 2 ways to fully shutdown Windows through cmd: /s and /p. What is the difference between these 2, if both of them are said to perform a full shutdown? Thanks 39792

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wsus install upgrades and shutdown button

2. how to force shut down a pc when it hangs