Windows 10: How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU

Discus and support How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, First, some context: Edition: Windows 10 Home Version: 20H2 OS build: 19042.867 Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PatrickHirsh, Apr 13, 2021.

1. How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU

Hi everyone,

First, some context:

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 20H2

OS build: 19042.867

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Hardware: Dell XPS 2018ish model?. GTX 1050 and Intel Core i7-7700HQ

My Issue:

I'm experiencing very poor performance heavy stuttering, freezing, effectively unusable at times when using certain combinations of applications. Namely Zoom. Watching the performance tab, I can see the stuttering seems to coincide with my integrated graphics maxing out utilization. My RAM and CPU usage doesn't seem to peak or bare any affect on this.

I've tried specifying "Zoom.exe" and other apps I use commonly in the Graphics Performance Preference tab as "High Performance" to attempt to force use of my dedicated GPU, however utilization remains at 0% even after restarting my PC and the applications. My suspicion is that Windows is only selecting this hardware for 3D applications as it gets utilized just fine when running games, however on occasion my dedicated GPU will temporarily start getting used and the stuttering will subside, only for Windows to switch back to integrated graphics and for the stuttering to continue. Zoom in particular is the worst offender, when I'm in a meeting and the host is sharing their screen AND I'm transcoding various webcam streams simultaneously. It seemed like potentially focusing on different applications was causing windows to toggle usage of the dedicated GPU, but I couldn't find a clear pattern here. I should note that I have my power plan set to "High Performance" "Gaming" in Power Options and my device is constantly connected to AC power.

What I'm Hoping:

Since my laptop is constantly connected to AC power and power draw is not a concern, I would like to entirely disable my integrated graphics so that my dedicated GPU GTX 1050 is used for everything. After searching exhaustively, I can't seem to find a way to achieve this.

Surely Windows is capable of running solely on non-integrated graphics considering my home desktop has an AMD CPU with no integrated graphics and does all graphics processing on my RTX 3070. I tried setting my preferred graphics processor in NVIDIA control panel to my GTX 1050, however it seems this setting no longer works ever since Windows took control of these settings in a past Windows update: "Windows now manages selection of the graphics processor. Open Windows graphics settings". I also am unable to disable integrated graphics in my device's BIOS. Is there any way I can force windows to ONLY use my GTX 1050?

Thanks,

Patrick

:)

PatrickHirsh, Apr 13, 2021
  2. Carlo Fer Win User

About GPU dedicating.

Hello
    웅황,

The feature that you're looking for in Windows 10 is not available. I suggest that you check with your graphics manufacturer if forcing an app/game to use a dedicated GPU to each task is available with their software.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Carlo Fer, Apr 13, 2021
  3. JulianKik Win User
    Cant use dedicated gpu

Hello I'm trying to use my dedicated GPU in place of my integrated but after I saw this

How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU 8fc74c05-82ae-48fa-9f7e-31638ceac217?upload=true.png

I had no clue what to do so I went into my BIOS to change it and there was integrated and switchable listed I picked switchable and still nothing now I'm here hoping somebody can help me.

I'm running windows 10 home version 1903, integrated gpu=intel graphics 3000, dedicated=AMD radeon graphics HD 7670M

JulianKik, Apr 13, 2021
  4. How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU

Windows 10 - Software is not using dedicated GPU

This is a trial and error step.

It may or may not work.

Typically Windows will install default Microsoft drivers if the Intel GPU drivers are uninstalled.

The performance is better with computer manufacturer drivers if it were the only device.

If you can disable the Intel GPU then maybe only the Nvidia GPU would be in use.

There was no BIOS setting.

Open device manager > click view > click show hidden devices > expand display adapters > look for the Intel GPU > right click disable device

See if this then forces the use of Nvidia GPU for the software.

questions_, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU

1. How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU - Similar Threads - force dedicated GPU

2. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Minecraft not using dedicated gpu: I have an Nvidia 3060 ti and an integrated intel graphics card and when I first got my pc it would run minecraft on super high fps easy. I stopped playing and a year later i cant get over 10 fps with shaders and optifine when before I was fine. MC says im using the intel...
  3. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft not using dedicated gpu: I have an Nvidia 3060 ti and an integrated intel graphics card and when I first got my pc it would run minecraft on super high fps easy. I stopped playing and a year later i cant get over 10 fps with shaders and optifine when before I was fine. MC says im using the intel...
  4. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows 10 do not use dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 do not use dedicated gpu: hi i have problem my dedicated graphics card is not used it is only integrated it is also not shown in the graphics settings as a more powerful option it's like I didn't have any dedicated card in any way disconnected it can't be because I have a laptop thank you for any...
  6. Dell G3 3779 Dedicated GPU issues, not using dedicated gpu?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dell G3 3779 Dedicated GPU issues, not using dedicated gpu?: Hello, so my friend's Dell G3 3779 is not using the Nvidia GPU for gaming and using the integrated one, this is on a freshly installed win10 with latest BIOS, and the latest drivers make it run minecraft at 12 FPS We tried installing older nvidia drivers and the performance...
  7. Can I force windows 10 to use GPU while on Battery?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I force windows 10 to use GPU while on Battery?: I've got a surface book, first gen with the GPU. I know I can use the graphics settings to force the GPU for specific apps, but I was wondering if there was a setting to encourage the GPU use for the GUI of Windows 10 - ideally when I was plugged in. The performance with a...
  8. Cant use dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cant use dedicated gpu: Hello I'm trying to use my dedicated GPU in place of my integrated but after I saw this [ATTACH] I had no clue what to do so I tied...
  9. Windows 10 - Software is not using dedicated GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - Software is not using dedicated GPU: Hi all, My laptop running windows 10, with an integrated GPU Intel and dedicated GPU Nvidia. Recently, some softwares, especially video converters don't use the dedicated GPU for accelerating conversions, which is used to work well. I've tried many possible ways (such as:...
  10. How to use dedicated GPU for Minecraft Windows 10 Edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use dedicated GPU for Minecraft Windows 10 Edition: Hello, I have an issue with the game. It always uses the integrated GPU which is a Intel HD Graphics 630 instead of my dedicated GPU which is a GTX 1050. How can i set my dedicated GPU as default whenever i launch Minecraft ?...