Windows 10: How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive?

Discus and support How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I had posted here but then forgot I did and didn't come back to post so it got archived(see thread here:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Katiekabo0m, Feb 26, 2021.

1. How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive?

How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive? ARk8tD4RKvQzV6Ow_83fG-dqe5UShZsGhcNYsOoXcH4.jpg

I had posted here but then forgot I did and didn't come back to post so it got archived(see thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/d61kpe/can_you_make_an_external_hdd_into_an_internal/).

I have this external that my friend took out of the casing and put into my computer case as an internal. He claims that when I asked him to do this that I already could not see my files but I know that is BS because I was still able to see my files and thought I still could once it was put into the case as an internal. I had all my back up files on it that I did not want to lose and now I cannot access them.

I am still hoping to recover them but recovery programs are only able to access the first part (and only seemingly 297.99 Gb of it):

Disk 0 (D) is my old MyBook external turned into an internal HDD but now I can't access any files on it. Wasn't RAW before. I don't know what my friend did to it. How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive? :(

348.31 Gb RAW

Not the rest:

1698.69 Gb Unallocated and 746.49 Gb Unallocated

Also I don't know why it is reading as RAW. How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive? :(

The External MyBook HDD is now my internal D drive and doesn't show any files

I tried to recover the D drive but it didn't work so I deleted that failed attempt. This is how my computer reads the drives now:

D drive reads as RAW and unallocated - all those files GONE?

All gone? Recoverable? Or just wipe and use? I mean I NEED the space. Right now my main drive is practically full and that is not good for SSD's. If I wipe I could put my photos on the D drive which would make the SSD happy again.

The friend who switched it from a working external to a non-usable internal insists that it was like that before he switched it and refuses to help saying it is not recoverable. I am so frustrated as all my failes are gone.

Is it recoverable or should I just wipe the whole drive and use the 3 Tb as an internal HDD since it is now a lost cause? I am hoping that there is some way to save my files. So many photos (memories) as well as programs. How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive? :(

Help? Anyone? Advice?

submitted by /u/Katiekabo0m
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Katiekabo0m, Feb 26, 2021
  2. Drone Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Feb 26, 2021
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 26, 2021
  4. Platibus Win User

How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive?

Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive?

1. How can I get my files back that are not showing up on this hard drive? - Similar Threads - files are showing

2. How can I get my other hard drives back on the boot order?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get my other hard drives back on the boot order?: I was trying to update to windows 11. I was trying to switch from legacy to UEFI. Now my computer is stuck in a bios loop. The only thing showing in my boot sequence is windows boot manager. I think I just need my other drives to boot and I will be alright, but I have no idea...
  3. How can I get my other hard drives back on the boot order?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get my other hard drives back on the boot order?: I was trying to update to windows 11. I was trying to switch from legacy to UEFI. Now my computer is stuck in a bios loop. The only thing showing in my boot sequence is windows boot manager. I think I just need my other drives to boot and I will be alright, but I have no idea...
  4. How can I get my other hard drives back on the boot order?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How can I get my files onto the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get my files onto the hard drive?: In Windows 11, I am unable to put ANYTHING on my hard drive. The "New " to create folders is grayed out. I can't download folders or files from OneDrive to save to my hard drive. Others have tried, and it still has the OneDrive extension. Everything downloads to OneDrive by...
  6. How can I get my files onto the hard drive?

How can I get my files onto the hard drive?: In Windows 11, I am unable to put ANYTHING on my hard drive. The "New " to create folders is grayed out. I can't download folders or files from OneDrive to save to my hard drive. Others have tried, and it still has the OneDrive extension. Everything downloads to OneDrive by...
  7. Windows 10 my Portable Hard Drive that I back up my photo store on is showing up in File...

Windows 10 my Portable Hard Drive that I back up my photo store on is showing up in File...: I have scanned this drive with file recovery software and know that the photos are still there - unfortunately this is a 2tb drive, and over a period of time has had many, many photos written to it and subsequently deleted - and it has proved very difficult in the vast number...
  8. How do I back-up my ondrive files to an excternal hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I back-up my ondrive files to an excternal hard drive?: How do I back-up my ONDRIVE files to an external hard drive?*** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-back-up-my-ondrive-files-to-an-excternal/7f81b5eb-d867-4805-ac5a-1bb73be0c19b
  9. How do I back-up my ondrive files to an excternal hard drive?

How do I back-up my ondrive files to an excternal hard drive?: How do I back-up my ONDRIVE files to an external hard drive?*** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-back-up-my-ondrive-files-to-an-excternal/7f81b5eb-d867-4805-ac5a-1bb73be0c19b
  10. back up my hard drive to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up my hard drive to an external hard drive: backing up my hard drive to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-my-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive/322809a8-5ac9-408c-998d-8a2ecdcd1906