Windows 10: How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display?

Discus and support How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm using a projector, and I want to be able to have my main display and the projector display be separate. I'm extending instead of duplicating on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by xemkis, Jul 19, 2019.

1. xemkis Win User

How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display?

I'm using a projector, and I want to be able to have my main display and the projector display be separate. I'm extending instead of duplicating on multiple displays, but I want my computer screen to show the projector screen when the mouse goes onto it so I can see what I'm doing on the projector display without having to get up and move, or crane my neck backwards to see the projector.

I remember being able to do this on previous versions of Windows, but is there a way to do it simply in the current update of Windows 10?

:)

xemkis, Jul 19, 2019
  2. Andriy Win User

second display configuration issue

Hi All,

My configuration:

Windows 10 Pro x64
    AMD Radeon HD 7800

Latest updates and video drivers installed, no hardware changes for 2+ months, latest significant Windows update 2 weeks ago, latest AMD video driver installed at least a week ago.

I have 2 identical displays connected via DVI to Windows PC over several years already with "Extend displays" configuration, and suddenly this configuration stopped working a couple of days ago when I was in the middle of doing something. Windows just replaced it with "Duplicate displays" configuration.

During PC startup I see BIOS diagnostics on both displays. Windows detects 2 displays. "Show only on 1" and "Show only on 2" options work as expected.

Problem: "Extend these displays" results in display 1 going blank and display 2 shows it's part of the image.

AMD Eyefinity (which creates virtual desktop over several monitors) works fine - which suggests that problem maybe only with Windows configuration.

What is done:

• checked cables
    • removed and installed again latest AMD drivers
    • removed second display from the System Devices, refreshed hardware list and added display again - now I have "Generic PnP monitor" and monitor with correct name in Monitors section
    • searched for latest drivers for monitors and display adapters from Device Manager, nothing found

Next I replaced one monitor with monitor from different manufacturer, and everything works as expected - "Extend these displays" configuration shows extended image.

Any ideas what else can be done to fix the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Andriy, Jul 19, 2019
  3. alone Win User
    Display langage reverted back

I followed the suggested actions: everything OK from step 1. and I attach as requested the output for step 2.

How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display? [​IMG]

for convenience I attach the google translation

How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display? [​IMG]

I'm ready to act following suggestions (if any) before...going through the restore (please don't misunderstand, I'm not looking forward doing it).

I appreciate in any case your help

alone, Jul 19, 2019
  4. How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display?

What to do with a second display?

i was wondering to my self what good does my second display possibly do for me? i was wondering if there were any programs i should have up in it or if theres a game i could use on it? any suggestions? *Toast :toast:

TechPowerDown, Jul 19, 2019
Thema:

How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display?

1. How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display? - Similar Threads - main display follow

2. How do I select main display if my screen doesn’t show a mouse?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I select main display if my screen doesn’t show a mouse?: Hello,I have a MSI Raider GE68 running on windows 11. I recently connected it to my 27” HP monitor, but when changing the display settings it made my laptop #2 while my monitor became #1 display. When I try to change which one is the main display, for some reason it does not...
  3. How do I select main display if my screen doesn’t show a mouse?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I select main display if my screen doesn’t show a mouse?: Hello,I have a MSI Raider GE68 running on windows 11. I recently connected it to my 27” HP monitor, but when changing the display settings it made my laptop #2 while my monitor became #1 display. When I try to change which one is the main display, for some reason it does not...
  4. How can I get the time to display on my taskbar on other monitors besides the main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get the time to display on my taskbar on other monitors besides the main: I run 3 monitors and my main one is often what I game on. Problem is that games run full screen and I can no longer have the time displayed in any task bar but the main monitor. I can't see anything in the close taskbars that's on the right hand side... Windows 10 I could at...
  5. How can I get the time to display on my taskbar on other monitors besides the main

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get the time to display on my taskbar on other monitors besides the main: I run 3 monitors and my main one is often what I game on. Problem is that games run full screen and I can no longer have the time displayed in any task bar but the main monitor. I can't see anything in the close taskbars that's on the right hand side... Windows 10 I could at...
  6. Notification icons not showing in main display.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notification icons not showing in main display.: Hi, Today Window started with a slight change and the notification icons are not in my main display but in a secondary one. I´çm pretty sure the Id assignment changed somehow, but the result is that in the screen I use the most, whic I have set as main display in display...
  7. How can I get to the settings for my second mouse?

How can I get to the settings for my second mouse?: Windows 10 20H2 19042.764 I use a Razer mouse and a Logitec Logi in Japan trackball. In Settings is appears to assume I have only one mouse and there is no way to select any one of multiple mice. Even the old control panel for Mouse does not allow me to select hardware now....
  8. How can I open apps in the second display using the second display's taskbar while in...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I open apps in the second display using the second display's taskbar while in...: Title says it all. When I try to open apps from second display's taskbar, the apps appear in first monitor! I'm using the extended display and the taskbar is set to be show on both displays submitted by /u/TipOfTheAnglersCap [link] [comments]...
  9. File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display: Whenever I open a new instance of File Explorer, it always opens up on my Left monitor which is not set as Main Display. I have tried dragging it over to my main monitor and closing it hoping that the new instance would remember the old one's position and re-open right there...
  10. How can I change the resolution on a second display?

How can I change the resolution on a second display?: Hi, so I got a drawing tablet, and its full resolution is 1920x1080. However, when I went to change the resolution, there was only one option, 800x600. I have a Windows 10 and I've looked everywhere and can't figure out how to add a resolution option. Please help, it'd be...