Windows 10: How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once?

Discus and support How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an old corrupt Windows folder that I am trying to delete from a hard drive. This is what the permissions settings for the folder looks like:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ReiJohnston, Dec 12, 2019.

1. How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once?

I have an old corrupt Windows folder that I am trying to delete from a hard drive. This is what the permissions settings for the folder looks like:

How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once? 05946d31-91b9-44ad-8223-643e694dabac?upload=true.png

As you can see, both administrators and users have full control, applying to "This folder, subfolders, and files", allowing me to delete the folder and its contents.

However, when I go to the properties page of a subfolder or file in this folder, I see this:

How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once? 640b2720-a282-4b62-879c-ab88c21f4126?upload=true.png

and when I click "Advanced" to go to the same permissions page as in my first image, it looks like this:

How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once? 7cc2f1bc-4f66-4623-95c2-557be7594cf1?upload=true.png

Now, obviously I know that I can click continue here to get access to Read permissions for this single file. Unfortunately, this folder has over 200,000 files in it, so doing this individually for each file and folder one by one is not an option.

How can I get Read permissions for EVERYTHING in this folder at once, without having to go through each file one by one?

Do not suggest formatting the hard drive, or any other workaround that does not directly answer the exact question I am asking. The exact question I am asking, for which I want a direct answer, is "How I can get Read permissions for every subfolder and file in a folder at once?".

:)

ReiJohnston, Dec 12, 2019

2. How to Customize File Sharing Permissions to Create/Modify/Delete FILES... but not FOLDERS?

Hello. I need to customize a shared folder on my network so that one user (Reba) can create, append, modify, delete all FILES within that folder and subfolders... but Reba should not be able to create or delete the FOLDERS.

I've tested various configurations, and the closest I've been able to come is to create
    TWO sets of Advanced permissions for Reba:

1. The first instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "This folders and subfolders,"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Create folders / append data
    • Delete
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

2. The second instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "Files Only:"

• Read attributes
    • Write attributes
    • Delete
    • Read permissions

• Full control
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

The above configuration does deny Reba the ability to create folders/subfolders... but ALLOWs her to delete folders (which I do NOT want her to be able to do).

DMGonzalez-Web, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Need help customizing file share permissions: User can manipulate FILES, but not folders.

Hello. I need to customize a shared folder on my network so that one user (Reba) can create, append, modify, delete all FILES within that folder and subfolders... but Reba should not be able to create or delete the FOLDERS.

The closest I've been able to come is to create TWO sets of Advanced permissions for Reba. When tested, this configuration (shown below) does allow Reba to manipulate files and correctly denies her the
    ability to create folders/subfolders... but it incorrectly ALLOWs her to delete folders (which I do NOT want her to be able to do).

Also... I wasn't sure what to do with the options to "Only apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container."

1. The first instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "This folders and subfolders,"

• Read attributes
    • Write attributes
    • Read permissions

• Full control
    • Delete
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

2. The second instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "Files Only:"

• Read attributes
    • Write attributes
    • Delete
    • Read permissions

• Full control
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once? f70cfe67-1519-4ea4-8180-11deebfa2216?upload=true.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix this so that Reba is NOT able to delete folders?

Thanks!!!

DMGonzalez-Web, Dec 12, 2019
  4. How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once?

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once?

1. How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once? - Similar Threads - Read permissions subfolders

2. Does Removing Permissions for a Folder Remove Them From All the Subfolders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does Removing Permissions for a Folder Remove Them From All the Subfolders?: earlier, I gave my account just called 'User' access to the Tasks folder in System32. within that folder are 3 subfolders and a bunch of files, the files are mostly related to Nvidia and OneDrivemy User account has access permissions to all of these files, and 2/3 of the...
  3. Can I change the folder icons all at once?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change the folder icons all at once?: I was thinking of changing the icons for all the folders but don't want to change them one by one... Is there a way to change them all at once? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-change-the-folder-icons-all-at-once/362a8230-9bd1-4505-a1ca-c17495b55962
  4. Can I change the folder icons all at once?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I change the folder icons all at once?: I was thinking of changing the icons for all the folders but don't want to change them one by one... Is there a way to change them all at once? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-change-the-folder-icons-all-at-once/362a8230-9bd1-4505-a1ca-c17495b55962
  5. Mark all files in folder and all subfolders as Read-Only, but not the folders themselves

Mark all files in folder and all subfolders as Read-Only, but not the folders themselves: Hi,How do i set all the files in a directory and all the files in it's subdirectories as read-only, but NOT mark the folder or its subfolders as read-only?...
  6. Mark all files in folder and all subfolders as Read-Only, but not the folders themselves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mark all files in folder and all subfolders as Read-Only, but not the folders themselves: Hi,How do i set all the files in a directory and all the files in it's subdirectories as read-only, but NOT mark the folder or its subfolders as read-only?...
  7. Mark all files in folder and all subfolders as Read-Only, but not the folders themselves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. how to open everything in all subfolders at once

how to open everything in all subfolders at once: i have multiple subfolders under music, and i'd like to open all of the mp3 files at once to make a large playlist. is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-open-everything-in-all-subfolders-at-once/d7e6c6d2-c23a-4995-a75e-47daf068cf6b
  9. How do I get all the items in a folder and its subfolders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get all the items in a folder and its subfolders?: I have a folder with about 35 subfolders in it, each containing some files. Is there a way to move every file at once, instead of going through each folder and selecting and moving all of them? submitted by /u/lophlo [link] [comments]...
  10. can I view all documents in file explorer at once including files in folders

can I view all documents in file explorer at once including files in folders: If I pull up PC - Documents and to the right of the Document column I have a Details view with 4 columns: name...date modified...type...size...date created. Can I see all the files including all the files in the Documents sub-folders? And if I ask for a specific type of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 2016 change permission on folder and all sub folders to be the same