Windows 10: how can i get rid of how do you want to open this file. it is on all my apps

Discus and support how can i get rid of how do you want to open this file. it is on all my apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; was using registry editor to get exe. that was missing on VLC file. i backup registry now it says can be used on this computer. so now registry is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lulu1210VO, Jun 27, 2020.

1. how can i get rid of how do you want to open this file. it is on all my apps

was using registry editor to get exe. that was missing on VLC file. i backup registry now it says can be used on this computer. so now registry is messed up to. every app that i click on says "how do you want to open this file". pls help driving me crazy.

:)

lulu1210VO, Jun 27, 2020

2. how do you want to open this file

How to Fix: Windows 10 Keeps Asking: 'How do you want to open this file?'
    To avoid seeing the message "How do you want to open this file?", you will need to specify the program you want to use as the default, then make Windows 10 remember that file association permanently so it doesn't keep asking you "How do you want to open
    this file?".

To do so:

• Open a file which invokes the
      "How do you want to open this file?" window.
    • Scroll through the list of programs in the list available to you. If you don't see the correct program, scroll all the way down the list until you see a link which reads: "Look
      for another app on this PC
      ". You will then need to manually scroll through your "c:\program files" or "c:\program files (x86)" directory(s) to choose the appropriate program. Once that has been done, you will be taken back to the "How do you want to open
      this file?" window.

NOTE: if you scrolled through the "How do you want to open this file?" file list AND the "c:\program files" AND "c:\program files (x86)" directories AND you
      still don't see the proper program you want associated with your file: you may need to launch your web browser, then download and reinstall the appropriate program. For example: if I am trying to open a .PDF file and I want to use Foxit Reader as the
      default program, but Foxit Reader does not appear to be installed, then I would have to go online and search for Foxit Reader, download it, then reinstall it. Usually reinstalling a program will automatically reinstate its file association(s).
    • One you have selected your default program, scroll all the way down the "How do you want to open this file?" window, and (!important!) check mark the box that says: "Always
      use this app to open [filename extension] files
      " (pic). Doing this last step will prevent Windows 10 from repeatedly asking you: "How do you want to open this file?"
    Other Ways to Set File Associations in Windows 10
    There are two other ways you can set file associations in Windows 10.

• Click Start, then type in "default programs" (no
      quotes), then scroll through the list and set the program. The only problem with this method is that you won't get the option to "Look for another app on this PC" if you don't see the program you're looking for. As such you might want to try option #2 below.
    • Another way to set a file association is to browse the file using Windows Explorer, then right click the file, then select

"Open With" option
      (pic) and then either select from the list of available choices, or select the option "Choose another app." In the latter option, you will then need to manually locate the program manually using Windows Explorer. If you still can't find
      the correct program to be associated with tie file, then you may need to launch your web browser, download the program and reinstall it.
    I hope that helps.Mark this as answer if it helps

Mech Vivek, Jun 27, 2020
  3. how do you want to open this file

This is on almost all Windows 10 installs. After the sleep mode is woken, a box appears in the middle of the screen that is titled " How do you want to open this file".

It doesn't give a clue as to WHAT FILE it has problem with.

The suggestion to scroll to the program to use to open the (HIDDEN FILE) is a canned response.

HOW DO WE LEARN WHAT FILE IS CAUSING THE POP UP WINDOW?

on my machines, 3 separate, and others I work on, all seem to have begun this nightmare after 1607 upgrade.

HOW about an app or tool that shows the trigger file for this popup screen!

Keny Drescher, Jun 27, 2020
  4. rstamats Win User

how can i get rid of how do you want to open this file. it is on all my apps

How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This"

A similar situation in a photo program XNVIEW you can hit F3 key with any active image and go to the associated program, in my case to Photoshop CC. Formerly, in all previous versions I went with the image directly to Photoshop CC. Now every time I go to "How do you want open this file?" and even selecting "Always select this app to open "jpg" files." No matter how many times I do this it is always the same. Much less efficient with this extra unneeded step.

rstamats, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

how can i get rid of how do you want to open this file. it is on all my apps

1. how can i get rid of how do you want to open this file. it is on all my apps - Similar Threads - rid open file

2. Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?: Windows 10 10.0.19045.4046 2009, 22H2I have 41 *.URL files in Favorites. One is called vspeed.url and has the URL https://www.verizon.com/speedtest.It is the only one for which a double-click gives the security warning "Do you want to open this file?".I have already:ICACLS...
  3. Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?: Windows 10 10.0.19045.4046 2009, 22H2I have 41 *.URL files in Favorites. One is called vspeed.url and has the URL https://www.verizon.com/speedtest.It is the only one for which a double-click gives the security warning "Do you want to open this file?".I have already:ICACLS...
  4. Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  6. Why is this "how do you want to open this file" popping up randomly and how do I get rid of it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is this "how do you want to open this file" popping up randomly and how do I get rid of it?: Hi, I got a new computer about 4 months ago, and since I've had it, this tab always pops up that asks me how I would like to open this .mp4 file. It pops up very randomly, and when it does, the default app that I always click on to open it, is photos. When I open photos, it...
  7. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  8. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  9. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  10. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...