Windows 10: How can I get Windows 10 to recognize NEF files taken by a Nikon Z6 II?

Discus and support How can I get Windows 10 to recognize NEF files taken by a Nikon Z6 II? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I just bought a Nikon Z6 II and found that Windows 10 does not see the NEF raw files. It sees the JPG files just fine. Those files are useless... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PaulLivingston1, Nov 27, 2020.

1. How can I get Windows 10 to recognize NEF files taken by a Nikon Z6 II?

Hello.

I just bought a Nikon Z6 II and found that Windows 10 does not see the NEF raw files. It sees the JPG files just fine. Those files are useless to me.

Is there a fix for this? Right now my new $2,600 paper weight.

Please help!

Thank you,

Paul Livingston

:)

PaulLivingston1, Nov 27, 2020

2. Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos

While I don't have the same issue with my Z6 NEF files, I'm having some problems. Thumbnails of any raw photos from my Nikon Z6 look as expected, but as soon as I open a file in the Photos App, the photo appears nearly colorless and nothing like the thumbnail...or
    even like the neutral NEF file should look.

And this only happens with NEF files from the Nikon Z6, and not with NEF files from my Nikon D750.

Hmm...

PhilipOswald, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos

Did not fix the problem. Problem is not with all NEF files, but only the ones from the Nikon Z6.

HiltonGillis, Nov 27, 2020
  4. How can I get Windows 10 to recognize NEF files taken by a Nikon Z6 II?

Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos

The Z6 NEF files open normally with Photo Viewer but not with the Photos app, which I like to use for some editing. The Nikon ViewNX 2 software will open and display these files, but "Adjustments" does not function. The newer ViewNX-i appears to be fully
    functional for all Nikon files.

HiltonGillis, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

How can I get Windows 10 to recognize NEF files taken by a Nikon Z6 II?

1. How can I get Windows 10 to recognize NEF files taken by a Nikon Z6 II? - Similar Threads - recognize NEF files

2. I cannot transfer .NEF files out from my Nikon D850 camera through USB cable connection to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot transfer .NEF files out from my Nikon D850 camera through USB cable connection to...: I cannot transfer .NEF files out from my Nikon D850 camera through USB cable connection to my new laptop running Windows 11: 1. I have installed latest Nikon NEF Codec on this Windows 11 computer.2. When I connect D850 camera through USB cable to the computer, the D850 folder...
  3. I cannot transfer .NEF files out from my Nikon D850 camera through USB cable connection to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot transfer .NEF files out from my Nikon D850 camera through USB cable connection to...: I cannot transfer .NEF files out from my Nikon D850 camera through USB cable connection to my new laptop running Windows 11: 1. I have installed latest Nikon NEF Codec on this Windows 11 computer.2. When I connect D850 camera through USB cable to the computer, the D850 folder...
  4. Extremely slow transfer and viewing file details of Nikon Z6 II camera files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extremely slow transfer and viewing file details of Nikon Z6 II camera files: I recently got a Nikon Z6 II camera and the image files it produces NEF files seem to be creating serious issues with Windows.When I copy them from an SD card they transfer extremely slowly ~30 MB/s. Other image files from the same SD card and card reader tansfer at 80 - 90...
  5. Windows 10 won't recognize my Nikon Camera

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 won't recognize my Nikon Camera: As of yesterday Windows 10 won't recognize my camera. I connect through USB as U have dozens of time before and nothing. It's not the cord it's not the ports cuz they work for other things . The camera is on. It is usually recognized immediately now nothing....
  6. nikon nef files quandry

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    nikon nef files quandry: Hi All Have i got a problem or what?? i downloaded 429 nef filesnikon photos to a directory on my desktop a few weeks ago. I had a look at the directory a couple of days ago and i noticed the files were now a graphic of 2 mountains and a moon in the right corner and 2...
  7. Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos: I installed the latest Windows 10 update, version 1903. I installed the RAW Windows extension. I use Windows Photos App. NEF files from my Z6 on an XQD card will open and look fine, but will collapse into random horizontal streaks in 3-4 seconds. What gives? NEF (RAW)...
  8. Nikon D850 RAW/NEF files thumbnails not showing preview / not supported by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Nikon D850 RAW/NEF files thumbnails not showing preview / not supported by Windows 10: Hi, I recently bought a Nikon D850. I shoot in RAW. When I download the photos and videos, the thumbnails do not show preview like it used to do with my previous D810. The "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is not checked. The video thumbnails show preview though. It...
  9. Nikon D7200 no longer recognized

Nikon D7200 no longer recognized: I have a Nikon D7200 that used to be recognized by my computer, now it is not, this occurred after an update to Windows 10, any suggestions would be appreciated, BTW Nikon does not provide the drivers....
  10. nikon coolpixl840 isn't recognized.

nikon coolpixl840 isn't recognized.: Hello, My Nikon Coolpix l840 camera isn't recognized since I upgraded to WIN10. It was fine in previous versions. I just saw in another forum that they resolved the issue my replacing the usb cable with another. I couldn't see how that could be the case. I also tried to just...