Windows 10: How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions?

Discus and support How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1903. When I run winrm quickconfig in PowerShell as an Administrator it stops with an error stating that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BenediktBöhme, Aug 12, 2019.

1. How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions?

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1903.

When I run winrm quickconfig in PowerShell as an Administrator it stops with an error stating that one of the connection types is set to public and needs to be changed:

WinRM service is already running on this machine.

WSManFault

ProviderFault

WSManFault

Message = WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

Error number: -2144108183 0x80338169

WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

When I check the network connections with Get-NetConnectionProfile it returns a single connection which is set to private.

Name : Network

InterfaceAlias : Ethernet 2

InterfaceIndex : 17

NetworkCategory : Private

IPv4Connectivity : Internet

IPv6Connectivity : NoTraffic

I have tried resetting the network settings and adding the firewall predefined inbound rules (Windows Remote Management and Windows Remote Management (Compatability)), but the error still shows up.

What I want to achieve is to change the MaxEnvelopeSize.

:)

BenediktBöhme, Aug 12, 2019

2. Good Antivirus + Firewall

I would never put anything Norton on my computer.

Nod32 is arguably the best antivirus. AVG is likely not as good, but it's free and at least pretty good.

Firewalls, I'd put Comodo and whatever "Tiny Personal Firewall" is named nowadays on your short list. I think Kerio might have sold it now and it's named something else. Otherwise, just put Comodo on your short list. I think the current version's ease of use has taken a step backwards, seems a bit counter-intuitive when trying to do certain things with it, but overall it does a good job and the price is right.

Deusxmachina, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Kol12 Win User
    Firewall setup?

said:
    How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions? [​IMG]

When outbound connections is set to allow is basically every app and service allowed through the firewall?

TairikuOkami "Yes, but if you have only trusted apps installed, it is not really an issue."

Does this mean that when I install an app that requires an outbound connection it still won't even show in the outbound rules list when outbound connections is set to allow?

Kol12, Aug 12, 2019
  4. Goatberg Win User

How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions?

Windows Admin Center getting blocked by Firewall in Windows 7 PC

I am working with Windows Admin Center. I have Windows Remote Management up on the target PC and also have Windows Remote Management (WS-Management) running in Services but when I try to connect to the target PC I get a connection error "WinRM
    cannot complete the operation. Verify that the specified computer name is valid, that the computer is accessible over the network, and that a firewall exception for the WinRM service is enabled and allows access from this computer. By default, the WinRM firewall
    exception for public profiles limits access to remote computers within the same local subnet. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic."

I even turned off the firewall briefly and got the same error. I must be missing a running service? The target is Windows 7. I have been successful connecting to Windows 10 PCs but not this Windows 7 PC so far.

***Modified title from: what firewall exceptions are needed for Windows Admin Center on the target PC?***

Goatberg, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions?

1. How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions? - Similar Threads - winrm setup Firewall

2. How can I get out of the "setup is starting" screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get out of the "setup is starting" screen?: I been trying to reboot my pc I built with windows 11 due to recently it stopped working with windows 10 but for both I used a usb and put windows on it and did the "Create Windows Installation Media" but now I tried both to boot onto my pc and it boots but it gets stuck on...
  3. How can I get out of the "setup is starting" screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get out of the "setup is starting" screen?: I been trying to reboot my pc I built with windows 11 due to recently it stopped working with windows 10 but for both I used a usb and put windows on it and did the "Create Windows Installation Media" but now I tried both to boot onto my pc and it boots but it gets stuck on...
  4. how do I get rid of Firewalls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I get rid of Firewalls: how do I get rid of Firewalls https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-firewalls/05421c77-d743-445f-b74e-e1df61ca13b5
  5. How do I make a exception for a dll in windows firewall?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I make a exception for a dll in windows firewall?: I wanna make a exception for a dll in windows firewall but I cant find a way to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-a-exception-for-a-dll-in-windows/becb2b6e-d22b-4e87-ae96-979ba7db3817
  6. How I can change Display Resolution when use winrm?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How I can change Display Resolution when use winrm?: I use windows server 2016 as jenkins slave for GUI tests by selenium. Master Jenkins node use for work with slave winrm protocol. When I use winrm as protocol for work beetwen master - slave I have had screenshots from web browser with tests in resolution? maybe 1024*768....
  7. Windows Firewall Exceptions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Firewall Exceptions: I have three computers on Local Area Network Computer "A" is Win10 and runs database Engine and stores Data Files - The Database Engine is listed as Firewall Exception. Computer "B" is Win7 and runs a program that makes TCP/IP requests for data to database engine on...
  8. How can I 'lock' the firewall?

How can I 'lock' the firewall?: I want to prevent any entity from making firewall rules but ME. Got any ideas how I can do that? Warm Regards, Mark. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-can-i-lock-the-firewall/093f24d5-41a2-49b5-b490-c571425dd60c"
  9. Firewall setup?

Firewall setup?: I found this site quite interesting, tests your internet router security. Probably more to do with adapter/router settings than firewall but still quite interesting... GRC
  10. Does anyone know how to get to Win 10 Firewall exceptions?

Does anyone know how to get to Win 10 Firewall exceptions?: I need to add and remove certain exceptions but I cannot find out how to get there. Can anyone help please. 7063