Windows 10: How can I go into sleep s3 manually

Discus and support How can I go into sleep s3 manually in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. I have a Dell XPS 9500 and a big issue with it: When I close the screen press the power button shortly I expect it to go into sleep as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SamuelGfeller, Oct 15, 2020.

1. How can I go into sleep s3 manually

Hello.

I have a Dell XPS 9500 and a big issue with it:

When I close the screen press the power button shortly I expect it to go into sleep as the screen turns black but the fans often don't calm down during a very long time. Often I came 1h or more later to continue my work but the computer was extremely hot and the fans blowing at max speed.

I work while travelling as well and when I put it in my bad it has happened numerous amount of times that the fans go wild because the computer wouldn't pause working and heating up in my bag.

When I open the computer to see which damn task is eating so many resources while it should sleep it is almost always the same: "System" using 15% of CPU which is a lot with Red "Battery consumption: Very high" in the task manager.

Now I humbly just ask: How can I make sure that my computer pauses its work when I close it.

I read that I was not the only one with this issue and that it wasn't like this when s3 was a thing so now I'm asking here how can I put my computer to s3 sleep so it stops working?

> powercfg /a

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected

Hibernate

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby S1

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby S2

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby S3

Hybrid Sleep

Standby S3 is not available.

:)

SamuelGfeller, Oct 15, 2020
  2. Icyeros Win User

My computer's "Sleep after X" sleep is deeper than manual sleep

With Sleep after X minutes, all fans shut down. A mouse click or key press is required to wake the system. This is ideal.

When I manually sleep via the start menu, fans stay on and mouse movement wakes the system.

powercfg -a lists this:

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

Fast Startup

Automatic hibernation is off, only sleep is on in power settings.

I'm on 16299

So, my question is, how do I manually put my computer into this deeper sleep state?

Icyeros, Oct 15, 2020
  3. iandh Win User
    S3 sleep trouble with Gigabyte GA-790FX-UD5P AM3

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried F3, F3b, F3i, F4d, F4g, and now F4, sleep does not work 100% on any but better on some than others.

iandh, Oct 15, 2020
  4. How can I go into sleep s3 manually

sleep problem with standby when both s1 and s3 shows under powercfg

My supermicro X9SRA board only have the option diable, s1, s3 under acpi.... but if i select s3 then under windows powercfg /a it would give standby (s1 s3)

and that seems to be the problem that i can't properly wake the computer after it goes to sleep and power down everything. a touch of the keyboard would wake up the fan but you just have a blank screen and an unresponsive computer...

conversely, i notice a few other computers i have where s3 sleep works properly, under powercfg /a, you only have standby (s3)

is there a way to tell windows to specifically only use s3 when both s1 and s3 standby are listed under powercfg /a ?

wildpig1234, Oct 15, 2020
Thema:

How can I go into sleep s3 manually

1. How can I go into sleep s3 manually - Similar Threads - sleep manually

2. My laptop wont turn off display or go to sleep unless I manually put my laptop to sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop wont turn off display or go to sleep unless I manually put my laptop to sleep.: I don't know what's happening, I've checked the setting->power and battery->screen and sleep. I changed it all and its set to like 5 min screen of and 15 sleep, but it won't actually do either. I want it to be able to sleep and turn the screen off automatically cause I will...
  3. My laptop wont turn off display or go to sleep unless I manually put my laptop to sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop wont turn off display or go to sleep unless I manually put my laptop to sleep.: I don't know what's happening, I've checked the setting->power and battery->screen and sleep. I changed it all and its set to like 5 min screen of and 15 sleep, but it won't actually do either. I want it to be able to sleep and turn the screen off automatically cause I will...
  4. Windows 11, version 22H2: Issue with Manual Sleep Mode Activation on Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, version 22H2: Issue with Manual Sleep Mode Activation on Laptop: Hi all,I have set my laptop to keep on when you close the lid.I've also updated my screen and sleep settings as follows:When plugged in, turn off my screen after --> NeverWhen plugged in, put my device to sleep after --> NeverSince making these changes, I'm unable to manually...
  5. Windows 11, version 22H2: Issue with Manual Sleep Mode Activation on Laptop

Windows 11, version 22H2: Issue with Manual Sleep Mode Activation on Laptop: Hi all,I have set my laptop to keep on when you close the lid.I've also updated my screen and sleep settings as follows:When plugged in, turn off my screen after --> NeverWhen plugged in, put my device to sleep after --> NeverSince making these changes, I'm unable to manually...
  6. I manually put my PC to sleep, then it crashes and shuts down. ntoskrnl.exe.

I manually put my PC to sleep, then it crashes and shuts down. ntoskrnl.exe.: Minidump https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-manually-put-my-pc-to-sleep-then-it-crashes-and/6894891b-b061-4271-b925-e0d37c7e76ad
  7. I manually put my PC to sleep, then it crashes and shuts down. ntoskrnl.exe.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I manually put my PC to sleep, then it crashes and shuts down. ntoskrnl.exe.: Minidump https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-manually-put-my-pc-to-sleep-then-it-crashes-and/6894891b-b061-4271-b925-e0d37c7e76ad
  8. ThinkPad X1 Carbon Won't Sleep Automatically + Manually

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ThinkPad X1 Carbon Won't Sleep Automatically + Manually: Hello everyone,I recently bought a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 10. I really like this machine.But since the last couple of days I am facing an issue with it. I can't get my laptop to sleep, neither automatically nor manually.If I shutdown/restart my laptop, I am able to put it to...
  9. ThinkPad X1 Carbon Won't Sleep Automatically + Manually

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Won't Sleep Automatically + Manually: Hello everyone,I recently bought a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 10. I really like this machine.But since the last couple of days I am facing an issue with it. I can't get my laptop to sleep, neither automatically nor manually.If I shutdown/restart my laptop, I am able to put it to...
  10. When I manually press sleep it doesn't fully work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I manually press sleep it doesn't fully work.: So normally when you choose sleep option it should turn off the monitors and the computer. Recently it only turns off the monitor but the computer itself is still running rgb lights, fans. I checked to see if I have the hardware option selected where it will wake the computer...