Windows 10: How can I group a program shortcut 'menu' in one 'Pin'?

Discus and support How can I group a program shortcut 'menu' in one 'Pin'? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to group similar types of programs on one 'pin', so I click the pin and a 'menu' of program shortcuts pop up. (pins for browsers, game... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NewOrderrr, Jul 11, 2020.

1. How can I group a program shortcut 'menu' in one 'Pin'?

I want to group similar types of programs on one 'pin', so I click the pin and a 'menu' of program shortcuts pop up. (pins for browsers, game launchers, utilities, audio & video players & editors, etc.)

Windows 7 had several programs that did this (7Stacks was one) but do any reliable ones exist for WIn 10? (Without tweaking the registry)

Since I use Start10 from StarDock, I was going to install their ObjectDock trial but it suggests I install Start8, a Win 8 program.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/NewOrderrr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NewOrderrr, Jul 11, 2020

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Aug 4, 2020
  3. RodHarney Win User
    How to pin shortcut to start menu.

This sounds great... only problem is that the hidden folder in Windows 10 "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" contains five folders and no files. If I add my shortcut to the "Programs" folder as suggested, it does NOT appear
    in the "All apps" list. If I put it in the "Windows System" folder, a subfolder of "Programs" which contains 7 other shortcuts that show up in "All apps", my shortcut still does not appear. I really don't care about "The common way" or "the more elegant way",
    I just want to know how to accomplish this, and so far, these solutions just don't work. It seems like there should be a folder, somewhere, where all the shortcuts for the "All apps" list are stored. I hope someone can help me with this frustrating issue.

RodHarney, Aug 4, 2020
  4. How can I group a program shortcut 'menu' in one 'Pin'?

How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

Please elaborate on I was unable to get it to recognize a new folder

Do you mean
    the folder did not appear in the Start list
    - or -
    you could not create the folder

I add folders and shortcuts to the Start menu regularly. Once I figured out the time stamp thing (a new object shows up, a copied object might show up).

Please follow these steps exactly and post any problems you run into when they happen.

1. Open Control Panel (View by: Small icons)

How can I group a program shortcut 'menu' in one 'Pin'? [​IMG]

2. Right click Indexing Options in Control Panel
      Select Create shortcut
      answer Yes when the dialog window tells you that the shortcut cannot be created here ....
      There should now be an Indexing Options shortcut on your Desktop

3. Launch File Explorer
      Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
      Create a new folder named 10test
      Open the new 10test folder in File Explorer
      Drag the Indexing Options shortcut on your Desktop to the new 10test folder

4. Open Start - the 10test folder should be at the top of the list and the Indexing Options shortcut is inside that folder.

That is the process I use.

There were issues with Start in some of the earlier Preview builds, but I haven't seen those in the Retail release.

If I recall, pinning something from the list to Start seemed to wake up the process. Try that if you don't see the 10test folder in the menu list.

That's about all I can think of.

Slartybart, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

How can I group a program shortcut 'menu' in one 'Pin'?

1. How can I group a program shortcut 'menu' in one 'Pin'? - Similar Threads - group program shortcut

2. How can I pin a shortcut to a URL to the start menu in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I pin a shortcut to a URL to the start menu in Windows 10?: Specifically desktop shortcuts made by a game launcher that link back to the launcher rather than to any .exe in the install. Particularly for expansion packs, and other dlc that have no specific .exe and therefore can only be launched from the game launchers url link...
  3. How can I pin a shortcut to a URL to the start menu in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I pin a shortcut to a URL to the start menu in Windows 10?: Specifically desktop shortcuts made by a game launcher that link back to the launcher rather than to any .exe in the install. Particularly for expansion packs, and other dlc that have no specific .exe and therefore can only be launched from the game launchers url link...
  4. How can I pin a shortcut to a URL to the start menu in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How can I get a desktop shortcut for this menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I get a desktop shortcut for this menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/idonthavexbox [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/vu934c/how_can_i_get_a_desktop_shortcut_for_this_menu/
  6. How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?: I found an article about how to do this that described this method: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3wnohc/is_there_a_way_to_pin_custom_shortcuts_to_the/ but this doesn't work. There are only a handful of folders and shortcuts in this folder, not anywhere near the...
  7. Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?: The start menu has groups of apps on the right side, e.g., Productivity, Explore, etc. How do I add a group of my own choosing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-a-group-for-app-shortcuts-on-the-start-menu/a88f905f-d124-4ae8-a862-50aacdc38d71
  8. Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen: Hiyas, some program groups or app shortcuts inside start menu folder won't show in full desktop start menu nor they're able to pin to home screen. I inspected respective folders a bit but found nothing suspicious. Most of them was created by regular installer. Also user...
  9. How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu: UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method. Since you cannot just drag and drop a shortcut to a web site into the app menu the way I do it is to create a short cut on my desktop then copy it into the...
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914