Windows 10: How can I have full control of the OS drive as the only user of my laptop so that Windows...

Discus and support How can I have full control of the OS drive as the only user of my laptop so that Windows... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, The issue I'm struggling to resolve for the last few days is that when I copy/move files from internal SSD D drive to SSD win 10 home SL C:/... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ceyhun Özsoylu, Jul 29, 2020.

1. How can I have full control of the OS drive as the only user of my laptop so that Windows...

Hello,

The issue I'm struggling to resolve for the last few days is that when I copy/move files from internal SSD D drive to SSD win 10 home SL C:/ drive it asks for my permission even though I have an admin account. I click on continue and it goes but on my other computer with win 10 pro this issue doesn't exist. With desktop or self-created folders within C, this issue doesn't exist. Also, this is probably related to right-click context new menu showing many folders on the desktop and self-created folders within C whereas on C:/ itself right-click new only shows "folder".

I compared these two laptops with different windows edition by right click C drive properties and security settings and found that on win pro, users group have full control and modification marks checked whereas on other laptops with home sl they are unchecked. When I check them and apply, it shows many errors, I still continue and then it takes a while until all attributes are assigned to files and folders in a few minutes. But then the search bar and start menu get unclickable, file move, and copy doesn't even ask for permission but gives an error instead that it cant be done. And often it prompts that the recycle bin is corrupted and needs to be deleted etc.. Also these security settings changed corrupts win recovery files so reset recovers corrupt windows. so the only way is to install fresh windows from USB.

I thought this issue might have to do with windows security settings overwriting the "live" files as they run in the background and thus result in issues. I thought maybe running them through cmd in dos could work just fine but then any new win update can just overwrite those settings reverting the issue. Or any resetting windows could also revert the issue. So changing the security setting is then a temporary solution. I d like to have a permanent solution so that every time I reset or windows gets an update the C drive users will have all the permissions checked. How can I ensure that? Would upgrading to win pro resolve the issue? I don't want to pay for upgrade only to see the issue persists and there is probably no way getting the refund back later once the license is assigned to the mainboard.

What should I do to resolve the issue? For days I 've devoted my time to this to no avail. I'd like to have a permanent solution to this. Could you please guide me?

Thank you

:)

Ceyhun Özsoylu, Jul 29, 2020
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

How can I find the password for my Windows 10 laptop?

I found a solution to my problem. What I did was:
    1. Open Network & Sharing Center on the laptop.
    2. Click "Change advanced sharing settings"
    3. Expand the "All Networks" item.
    4. Change "Password protected sharing" from On to Off.

Now when I click my laptop name in File Explorer > Networks, it just shows my shared folder without asking for a network credentials password. This is how it used to work before.

Hope this helps others,

3. Can I move my desktop SSD to my new laptop with OS installed

Well lads,

Just wondering can I remove my SSD from my desktop computer and place it into my new laptop that's coming in a couple weeks. It has Windows 8 installed on it and the new laptop that's coming will not have an OS installed!

The laptop supports 2.5" SSD slot so I know that'll be fine. But can I just plug it in and it'll just work fine?

Or will I have to reformat the drive and install windows 8 on it again?

Irish_PXzyan, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Phusius Win User

How can I have full control of the OS drive as the only user of my laptop so that Windows...

How do I get Windows 7 to install on a full 3 TB HDD?

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Giving this a shot now. I already try converting to GPT once already and it worked, but still only showed 2 TB, however, the steps listed your link Newteki have a few added steps I did not do. Also, I decided to go with Windows 8 Pro since Windows 7 was giving me so much trouble with this issue, yet it still gave me the same problems of only showing 2 TB then a separate 700ish GB drive.

Here goes nothing, thanks all, will be reporting back soon, hozzah!

Phusius, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

How can I have full control of the OS drive as the only user of my laptop so that Windows...

1. How can I have full control of the OS drive as the only user of my laptop so that Windows... - Similar Threads - full control drive

2. Unable to grant full control to the only user running windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to grant full control to the only user running windows 11: When going under advanced security properties and checking the box for either full control or write access to the only user on our new Dell windows 11 pc the following errors are displayed see attachment. The system advises that several files are in use and that write access...
  3. Unable to grant full control to the only user running windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to grant full control to the only user running windows 11: When going under advanced security properties and checking the box for either full control or write access to the only user on our new Dell windows 11 pc the following errors are displayed see attachment. The system advises that several files are in use and that write access...
  4. i have destroyed laptop the hard drive survive, so how can i activate the Windows 7 on the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have destroyed laptop the hard drive survive, so how can i activate the Windows 7 on the...: i have destroyed laptop the hard drive survive, so how can i activate the Windows 7 on the new motherboard? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-destroyed-laptop-the-hard-drive-survive-so/93152d6a-155e-4859-968e-33fb25fe568a
  5. i have destroyed laptop the hard drive survive, so how can i activate the Windows 7 on the...

i have destroyed laptop the hard drive survive, so how can i activate the Windows 7 on the...: i have destroyed laptop the hard drive survive, so how can i activate the Windows 7 on the new motherboard? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-destroyed-laptop-the-hard-drive-survive-so/93152d6a-155e-4859-968e-33fb25fe568a
  6. How can I and not Windows have the full control of sources of Windows Photos?

How can I and not Windows have the full control of sources of Windows Photos?: Windows Photos always add some sources that I don't want and I need to delete them everytime I restart my PC.This topic is closed and unsolved:...
  7. How to remove windows 10 as the only OS, so the laptop boots into BIOS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove windows 10 as the only OS, so the laptop boots into BIOS?: Hi, I want to return a laptop that was delivered without any OS and I was asked to remove Windows 10 from it. How do I do it, so that it boots directly into BIOS? submitted by /u/han_tatar [link] [comments]...
  8. How can I have full control permission under C: / Windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I have full control permission under C: / Windows?: When I look at the properties of windows folders, I find that no user has full control permission. In the past, my windows 7 user system had full control permission, but now my windows 10 1909 does not. What can I do to have the highest permission of windows?...
  9. I have the wrong Control Panel on my OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have the wrong Control Panel on my OS: OK so, I have Windows 10. But I have the Windows 7 Control Panel. How do I fix this and bring back the Windows 10 version? Thanks. submitted by /u/Caifabe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxb1c8/i_have_the_wrong_control_panel_on_my_os/
  10. How a user in a machine can have a full permission on D drive on anoth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How a user in a machine can have a full permission on D drive on anoth: How a user in a machine can have a full permission on D drive on another machine knowing that the two machines are on the same group, In the screenshot below, I wanted to grant the “jamal3” user that is a user on “jamalnuman3” machine a full permission on the D drive of...