Windows 10: how can I increase the drive space allowed for windows history backup

Discus and support how can I increase the drive space allowed for windows history backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am getting a message that there is insufficient space allocated for the history backup but cant find a way to allocate more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrashShoe1345, Oct 16, 2018.

1. how can I increase the drive space allowed for windows history backup

I am getting a message that there is insufficient space allocated for the history backup but cant find a way to allocate more

:)

BrashShoe1345, Oct 16, 2018

2. Backup drive is running out of space

Hi Argel Obm,

Thank you for your helpful post. I am travelling & would try out your suggestions after return.

Would write back if I need further help.

Thank you

Bappaditya Gupta, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Backup drive is running out of space

Hi,

In Windows 10, you can either use File History in Settings or Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel to back up your files or the image of your Windows 10. Just to clarify, what tool did you use to back up your files or image? If you used Back and
    Restore (Windows 7) and you set up a back up schedule, the drive that you're using for the back up will surely consume a large amount of space. To free up disk space, you can either delete an old back up or you can set up Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to
    only save the latest backup file. To do this, follow these steps:

Delete an old backup file:

• Open Control Panel and access Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • Click Manage space.
    • Select View backups....
    • Choose the backup the you want to delete, and then press Delete.
    Keep the latest system image:

• Open Control Panel and access Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • Click Manage space.
    • Select Change settings....
    • Choose Keep only the latest system image and minimize space used by backup, and then press
      OK.
    If you do not want to use the current location of your backup anymore and you want to change it to your external drive, you can do so by following these steps:

• Open Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel.
    • Press Change settings.

• Choose the drive you want to save your backup file, and then click Next.
    • Choose your backup settings.
    • Press Save settings and run backup.

If you want to create a bootable media or an installation media of Windows 10, you can do so by using the Media Creation Tool. Please take note that you need a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of space so that you can create a bootable media. You can download
    the Media Creation Tool here. The link also has the steps on how to create and use the bootable media.

If you have additional questions, kindly reply to this thread.

Argel Obm, Oct 16, 2018
  4. how can I increase the drive space allowed for windows history backup

File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

how can I increase the drive space allowed for windows history backup

1. how can I increase the drive space allowed for windows history backup - Similar Threads - increase drive space

2. How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive: How can I get File History to backup files on the D:/ drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-file-history-to-backup-files-on-thr/e233f48b-7cab-4cd3-ba60-290dfaff8f42
  3. How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive: How can I get File History to backup files on the D:/ drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-file-history-to-backup-files-on-thr/e233f48b-7cab-4cd3-ba60-290dfaff8f42
  4. Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?: I am not asking about backing up TO an external drive. submitted by /u/nintendo1889 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mrq3tf/can_file_history_backup_the_files_that_are_on_a/
  5. Increase C drive Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Increase C drive Space: Is there a way to add a USB drive space to the C drive on Windows 10. Only have 32GB on C drive so cannot update Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-c-drive-space/65fb40ff-9391-4c4f-bb83-01992918f36a
  6. Unable to backup File History on Storage Space drive

Unable to backup File History on Storage Space drive: I’m trying to set up and use Windows 10 File History for the first time. I go into Control Panel, File History, then Select drive, but only my D: drive (an internal SSD) and 3x network shares (on external NAS) appear on the list of drives recognised by File History. It does...
  7. How can we increase a space in c drive from d drive in windows 10?

How can we increase a space in c drive from d drive in windows 10?: below are the screen shots[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-increase-a-space-in-c-drive-from-d/6706bca8-7ccd-4d2d-a512-3b3bebe351c9"
  8. How to increase disc space on C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to increase disc space on C drive: Hello all, I bought a new PC, but the C drive is split in 2 partitions ( C & D ). I tried to remove 100 GB from D, and add it to the C drive, but I'm not allowed to do that... There is no option to increase disc space on the C drive. Also tried to reinstall Windows 10 and...
  9. How to increase disc space on C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to increase disc space on C drive: Hello all, I bought a new PC, but the C drive is split in 2 partitions ( C & D ). I tried to remove 100 GB from D, and add it to the C drive, but I'm not allowed to do that... There is no option to increase disc space on the C drive. Also tried to reinstall Windows 10 and...
  10. Increase C drive space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increase C drive space: How do I increase C drive space from D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-c-drive-space/4fc39454-1d83-4007-9bfd-8e577eb00f64