Windows 10: How can I index a symlinked folder for Windows 10 search?

Discus and support How can I index a symlinked folder for Windows 10 search? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As a Linux user, I hate the Windows nomenclature like C:, D:, etc., they are just absurd. So I don't map my NAS samba share to a specific Drive to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by everwishersong, Feb 25, 2020.

1. How can I index a symlinked folder for Windows 10 search?

As a Linux user, I hate the Windows nomenclature like C:, D:, etc., they are just absurd. So I don't map my NAS samba share to a specific Drive to Windows. Instead, I deleted folders like Downloads, Music, Video and Documents in my user folder and make symlink directories to the original sambashares via command: mklink/d .\Downloads "\\myServer\Downloads" as example.

Problem is, these symlinked folders don't show up in the Index List and I can't find any clue how to add them there at all! Any one knows how to index them please throw your answers.

:)

everwishersong, Feb 25, 2020
  2. NovatoN Win User

Windows 10 not displaying search results for indexed shortcuts in a folder.

Thanks Deepika,

I had tried running this troubleshooter before, but I've just run it again with "Files don't appear in search results" and "My problem isn't listed above" ticked, and it comes up with "Issue not present" against all potential issues, and "Troubleshooting
    couldn't identify the problem", even after troubleshooting as an administrator.

I'd be glad of any other suggestions please!

NovatoN, Feb 25, 2020
  3. Windows 10 not displaying search results for indexed shortcuts in a folder.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to search files on your computer, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the below troubleshooting steps and check:

Method 1: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks to see whether you
    have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

• Select the Troubleshooting option.

• Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing

• Click on Next to perform the Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 25, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

How can I index a symlinked folder for Windows 10 search?

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

How can I index a symlinked folder for Windows 10 search?

1. How can I index a symlinked folder for Windows 10 search? - Similar Threads - index symlinked folder

2. How to export indexed searches of Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to export indexed searches of Windows?: I want to export the 97626 indexed searches. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-export-indexed-searches-of-windows/3cbcbf13-ff35-4a23-9c9a-719f114cc61e
  3. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  4. How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you find that search results are missing, no longer valid, or incorrect, then […] This article How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Windows 10 not searching or indexing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 not searching or indexing: No indexing, so I sfc /scannow ,dism etc, rebuild, re-ran windows 20H2,restoro,restore, and still indexing will not come around. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-not-searching-or-indexing/db14f97d-377c-4769-8105-3edae83ce2b5
  6. Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?: TL;DR On COMPUTER-A I have a folder, with several files and sub-folders. COMPUTER-B is on the same network. On COMPUTER-B, can I add a symlink to the folder, but exclude one of the sub-folders? Hi all. I have a question about Windows symlinks. Here is my setup: I have two...
  7. Can I index a folder quickly in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I index a folder quickly in Windows 10?: I noticed that indexing takes a long time. I wonder if there's a way to quickly index a folder quickly, such as if you notice that it's not correctly indexed (searches doesn't give expected results in File Explorer). 142383
  8. windows 10 search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows 10 search and indexing: Search is not working in File Explorer Windows 10. When I use Control Panel for Indexing Options I have no one included location after very long waiting. Nothing changed here after I use Rebuild in Advanced: no included location again. I did Stop and Restart of Windows Search...
  9. Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10 Indexing the content of your PC helps you get faster results when your searching it for files, emails, or other local content....
  10. Symlinks in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Symlinks in Windows 10: Overview Symlinks, or symbolic links, are “virtual” files or folders which reference a physical file or folder located elsewhere, and are an important feature built in to many operating systems, including Linux and Windows. The Windows’ NTFS file system has supported...