Windows 10: How can I keep my windows 10 file versions from getting too large?

Discus and support How can I keep my windows 10 file versions from getting too large? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I reluctantly upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 Pro recently. The reason it was reluctant was because the file history changed. I was under the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobinEllwood, Mar 2, 2020.

1. How can I keep my windows 10 file versions from getting too large?

I reluctantly upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 Pro recently. The reason it was reluctant was because the file history changed. I was under the impression I had to keep another external drive connected at all times I use a laptop and it is used everywhere. I loved the way Windows 7 worked in that you just right clicked and accessed the system volume files for the previous versions. I believed that there was no way to get file history without the external drive.

I always use file history. I work on databases, and directories and a right-click restore file can make the difference between months of work and a few seconds.

So I was told that Windows 10 stores the restore points on the computer. I believed that the restore points located in the System Volume Folder were what the file history in Windows 10 accessed. I was wrong. So, now I am faced with a problem I need help with.

When I set up the file history in Windows 10, I attempted to store it in Dropbox using the network drive. However it grew very large, very quickly. The inital setup seemed to be cloning my computer file by file to the drive and took as long as a regular backup. Meaning if I checked out the folder, it would just have the same exact things my computer has, it basically just copied and pasted everything. My SDD is 1TB so, copying it all over like that didn't make sense. The Volume snapshots were never this big. I had to turn of the History because it was taking too long, and was getting too big. There is no way to set up how big it gets unlike the system protection settings in Windows 7 where you can save both files and settings.

I need to also mention that I live with very, VERY slow internet. Don't ask why, but understand that I get about 15mb speed. It is what it is. So, the amount of time it takes to upload or download a lot of data makes using a cloud storage impossible. This is why I kept with the file history and saved images. Easier to attach an image and copy from there than doing regular backups as long as the system volume was set up.

So why is the file history so big? Am I setting it up wrong? It appears to be copying everything whether there are changes or not, and the initial set up was taking way too long and getting way too big. I am using about 600gig right now.

I am using Shadow Explorer for the shadow copies but they are getting really big too. I have about 100gig's set up for that and I am just about out of it with only 5 days covered. Windows 7 offered me way more copies for much less space.

I am open to any software that can effectively make file versioning possible like Windows 7 did, as long as it doesn't require cloud storage. If there is a program that mimics Windows 7 shadow copies I would be grateful to know.

Thanks!

:)

RobinEllwood, Mar 2, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Mar 2, 2020
  4. How can I keep my windows 10 file versions from getting too large?

Windows 10 Snipping Tool on Windows 7

All it is is one extra step beyond what is native to windows 10. Yes, technically it would be easier to have the functionality of print built in to the Windows 7 version, but you just have to save it ,and right click on it ,and print.

As far as getting the windows 10 version into windows7. I know there was a way to get the old winpaint, so maybe there's a way to get the snipping tool into 10, I don't know.

im curious if i could compress, and upload the application to this post? 7zip doesnt seem to be allowed

jboydgolfer, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

How can I keep my windows 10 file versions from getting too large?

1. How can I keep my windows 10 file versions from getting too large? - Similar Threads - keep file versions

2. Can I restore a video file that was too large to be synced to OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I restore a video file that was too large to be synced to OneDrive?: Hi, I had a very large video file 165GB that I imported onto my laptop's desktop. The file was too large to be synced to my personal OneDrive, and I think I tried to move it over to my school account and thought I still had a copy of it on my personal OneDrive. I deleted the...
  3. Can I restore a video file that was too large to be synced to OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I restore a video file that was too large to be synced to OneDrive?: Hi, I had a very large video file 165GB that I imported onto my laptop's desktop. The file was too large to be synced to my personal OneDrive, and I think I tried to move it over to my school account and thought I still had a copy of it on my personal OneDrive. I deleted the...
  4. Too large file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Too large file name: Split from this thread.Thank you for your comments.The word file name is too large - Microsoft cannot handle a too large file name. So of course, there is NO ERROR MESSAGE! Microsoft just simply does not delete the file.I have tried all suggested "too large file name...
  5. My system file are too large

My system file are too large: My C:\ disk has been used 140gb, When I checked it, it turned out that 100gb were used for the system. I've searched the Internet but there is no way that can reduce it, does anyone have a solution? I'm sorry if my English is bad, Thanks...
  6. How can I recover a deleted file too large for recycling bin?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I recover a deleted file too large for recycling bin?: Good day, everyone. We just did a recording session which resulted in a 90GB video file. My buddy accidentally deleted the file when he was clearing up space and it was too large for the recycling bin. What can we use to recover the file? We haven't overwritten anything...
  7. Windows 10 too large?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 too large?: Hey everyone, had a problem and was hoping for advice. I have a machine that runs with a rather small drive in use for the OS install itself, something that should be fixed but is on me and I haven't taken time to do it. That said by small, I mean it's 120GB, so small only...
  8. File too large

in Windows 10 Customization
    File too large: Yesterday it was I couldn't save changes to documents or pictures. Got that solved. Today, when I try to download a picture from a website, I'm getting the message, "failed, file too large". Even small pictures are too large. Can someone help with this?...
  9. System file too large

System file too large: I select every folder in my C disk and the property shows that they are only a little bit more than 100G. When I check the storage in the setting, it shows that the system file is 244GB. Is there anyway to delete it? PS: I already checked CBS folder and that does not...
  10. File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system

in Windows 10 News
    File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system: [ATTACH] This post will help you if you cannot copy large files over 4GB to USB flash drive or SD card, and you receive a message – File Too Large, The file is too large for the destination file system message [...] This post File Too Large – The file is too large for the...