Windows 10: How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?

Discus and support How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I couldn't find a way to learn what's the cluster size (allocation unit size) for an exFAT partition (or any other format). I tried with HWinfo,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by antonio3535, Jun 9, 2020.

1. How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?

I couldn't find a way to learn what's the cluster size (allocation unit size) for an exFAT partition (or any other format). I tried with HWinfo, Windows msinfo32, Hard drive sentinel, DriveDX. None of them say it!

Any help much welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Just right click on the drive you want to find cluster size click format (DO NOT CLICK OK AFTER THAT) the last format cluster size will be displayed!

:)

antonio3535, Jun 9, 2020
  2. woojoo666 Win User

Check the cluster size of an exFAT drive on Windows

How do I check the cluster/allocation size of an exFAT drive on Windows?

woojoo666, Jun 9, 2020
  3. lx07 Win User
    Hard drive cluster size issues? Size on HDD over twice the actual size

For the a sector size of 4k to double your disk utilization you'd have to have a really tiny average file size. From your numbers shown the average size if I calculate it correct is 132kb (unless you have 1 massive file and 17,711 tiny ones) so a 4k size will make no difference.

You could check with TreeSize Free - it will tell you if you right click on the status bar and select it to be displayed.

How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive? [​IMG]

EDIT - having checked the default for ExFat is 128k for drives over 32GB (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/140365) and when I tried to format an external USB drive that is what it picked. According to macbook - Reformat exFat with specific Device Block Size and Cluster Size - Ask Different OSX picks 128k also.

So if you had 128k as your cluster size minimum disk utilization would be 17,772 files * 128k = 2.17GB. So if all your files were just over this (say 132k which looks like your current average size) you would be using 4.44GB add a couple of big files and it could easily be 6GB.

I would check your average file sizes and also your current cluster size (you can use chkdsk as described in the AskDifferent link above).

The default is 4k for NTFS and I have always formatted ExFat as 4k also. Depending on your current setting reformatting 4k looks like a good idea.

As for how - copying the data elsewhere, formatting and then copying it back has to be the easiest, safest and most likely fastest way. You'll also get the disk defragmented automatically. There are tools to do it but they seem to have limitations and I wouldn't bother if you have a spare disk.

lx07, Jun 9, 2020
  4. How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?

file system cluster size

Hi

Can someone explain to me what is minimum and maximum cluster size for FAT/FAT32 and exFAT file system?

Mohammad Sadegh Ghorbani, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?

1. How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive? - Similar Threads - cluster size exFAT

2. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  3. How to change Hard Disk Cluster Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Hard Disk Cluster Size in Windows 10: Windows 10 file systems organize your hard disk based on cluster size (also known as allocation unit size). If you haven’t specified cluster size when you format a partition, it will select the defaults based on the size of the partition – and this is one of the reasons for...
  4. How do I partition my external exFAT hard drive in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I partition my external exFAT hard drive in Windows 10?: Hello, there. I'm having a lot of difficulty formatting and partitioning my external Seagate hard drive on my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro. There doesn't seem to be an option for me to partition the hard drive. I've looked through Disk Management and I don't have any sort of...
  5. How to extend exFAT partition on hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to extend exFAT partition on hard drive.: I have an external hard drive with 120gb unallocated space on it, when I try to extend my main partition the option is greyed out. Is there any way to extend the partition to make it all one partition?[ATTACH]...
  6. How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?: I couldn't find a way to learn what's the cluster size (allocation unit size) for an exFAT partition (or any other format). I tried with HWinfo, Windows msinfo32, Hard drive sentinel, DriveDX. None of them say it! Any help much welcome. - - - Updated - - - Just right click...
  7. How Can I make a cluster?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Can I make a cluster?: I'd like to make a cluster with 2 pc, but I don't know how do it. Help pls submitted by /u/Dedalo703 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ghmiyl/how_can_i_make_a_cluster/
  8. how can I increase the size of hard drive partition?

how can I increase the size of hard drive partition?: how can I increase the size of hard drive partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-hard-drive/0a87d537-d3ab-4212-a6a6-9f0cd708933e"
  9. how can I decrease the hard drive partion size

how can I decrease the hard drive partion size: how can I decrease the hard drive partion size https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-decrease-the-hard-drive-partion-size/f6ea89d6-3655-4089-ac70-2369aefcdf6b"
  10. Hard drive cluster size issues? Size on HDD over twice the actual size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive cluster size issues? Size on HDD over twice the actual size: I went to SSDs on all of my computers some time back, but I still use WD RE4s and 2.5 inch WD Black HDDs for a variety of backup tasks and for storage in which the data will not be accessed for a period longer than is ideal to use a non-powered SSD for. On my Macs I am using...