Windows 10: How can I make a list of filenames in File Explorer via command prompt?

Discus and support How can I make a list of filenames in File Explorer via command prompt? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; These are the steps I take in: open the folder that I want to print the filenames of In the location bar, typed "cmd" At the command prompt, I typed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LAPIII, Nov 22, 2018.

1. LAPIII Win User

How can I make a list of filenames in File Explorer via command prompt?

These are the steps I take in:

1. open the folder that I want to print the filenames of
    2. In the location bar, typed "cmd"
    3. At the command prompt, I typed "dir > vjoy.txt

The command prompt read Access is denied.

:)

LAPIII, Nov 22, 2018
  2. JeffCL Win User

Searching for a string within a filename in File Explorer

I want to search a folder for filenames that contain the word "Committee". When in File Explorer, I type "Committee" into the Search field and hit enter. It finds (highlights in yellow) files that start with "Committee" but not the ones where "Committee"
    is embedded in the file name. For example:

• "Committee-Mission-Roles-and-Responsibilities" = finds it and highlights "Committee" in yellow
    • "19510701ListClubCommitteesReportDirectorsBW" = Lists this file but does not highlight "Committee" in yellow
    • "20150526MinutesBoard" = Lists this file because the word "Committee" is in the text of the file.
    Is there a way to do a search that lists only filenames that contain the word "Committee"? I don't want files listed if the word "Committee" is not part of the filename.

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage )

JeffCL, Nov 22, 2018
  3. File Explorer not opening via pinned Taskbar icon on Windows 10

Hi Leon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I apologies for delay in reply. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to unpin the File explorer from the task bar and re-pin the File Explorer and check If issue is resolved. If issue persist, I suggest you to follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Nov 22, 2018
  4. How can I make a list of filenames in File Explorer via command prompt?

ghost file on desktop

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your continued patience on this issue. I would like to assist you further.

If you are unable to remove the file using Explorer, I suggest you to try delete the file using the command prompt. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • Now browse to the folder where the file is located. You can go to the root of the drive by typing in cd /, followed by
      cd foldername to navigate into directories. Once you are there, type in
      dir to get a listing of all the files.
    • To delete a fie type del “filename”

Hope it helps this time.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

How can I make a list of filenames in File Explorer via command prompt?

1. How can I make a list of filenames in File Explorer via command prompt? - Similar Threads - list filenames File

2. How do I make File Explorer produce a list of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make File Explorer produce a list of files: I bought a new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed but it does not produce the same file structure is in my old copy of Windows 10 in the other computer. The old version produces a list of files underneath each file as I click on it. That is, when I click on a file it...
  3. how do i make an exe file out of a command prompt command

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i make an exe file out of a command prompt command: hi, i am curious of how to make an exe file run a command into command prompt. Can someone help me? submitted by /u/Ethanol2814 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lql0i3/how_do_i_make_an_exe_file_out_of_a_command_prompt/
  4. Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?: Around a month ago, I turned my laptop Asus TUF Gaming FX504 and instead of Explorer launching, I got greeted with Command Prompt. The fix was simple, I just typed "explorer" and everything was back to normal, but this issue kept on happening. I have a feeling it's something...
  5. Can you access msconfig via command prompt?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can you access msconfig via command prompt?: Hi, Is there a command to issue in command prompt that opens msconfig or is there a command that changes msconfig start up to "selective" or "normal"? My laptop is win 10 ver 1909. It's stopped booting into windows after I changed the start up in msconfig from...
  6. Create a File List at a Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Create a File List at a Command Prompt: From the directions on the support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/196158/how-to-create-a-text-file-list-of-the-contents-of-a-folder dir > filename.txt doesn't work for me in Windows 10. I get the error "There is not enough space on this disk." Even though...
  7. How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?: I need to move some folders to the SD chip and leave a shortcut in the original folder on the SSD. That much is easy to do. Unfortunately, when using "Sort by Name", File Explorer lists the shortcuts with the files, not with the folders. I don't want to use "Group by Name"...
  8. Can I disable services via command prompt...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I disable services via command prompt...: Can I disable services using the command prompt if they can't be disable in the services manager, and could some services be installed on the system for threat uses and intrusions in the computer? 136697
  9. Can I disable services via command prompt...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I disable services via command prompt...: Can I disable services using the command prompt if they can't be disable in the services manager, and could some services be installed on the system for threat uses and intrusions in the computer? 136697
  10. File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt: When I launch a recent folder or any folder linked on the pinned taskbar icon for File Explorer it launches what appears to cmd.exe with "Administrator" and the folder path in the top bar. the folder is also displayed in the command prompt itself. However if I just click on...