Windows 10: How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it?

Discus and support How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS from my HDD to an SSD but i don't have the partition of Windows 10 OS to do so, Since my HDD with the OS on it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lewis Hayden, May 29, 2023.

1. How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it?

I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS from my HDD to an SSD but i don't have the partition of Windows 10 OS to do so, Since my HDD with the OS on it is way bigger than the SSD i can't just clone it, i need to seperate the OS in a partition from the HDD.So I'm asking if there is a way to seperate the windows OS so that it can be migrated to my 120GB SSD.

:)

Lewis Hayden, May 29, 2023
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 29, 2023
  3. Proper HDD partitioning for Win7 reistall

I'm not so much interested in keeping current data. Would I need to do your second step for the keeping of future data if I installed and kept all my data on the non-OS partition?

jasper1605, May 29, 2023
  4. Scrizz Win User

How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it?

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, May 29, 2023
Thema:

How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it?

1. How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it? - Similar Threads - partition current HDD

2. How can i make my hdd and ssd work at the same time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i make my hdd and ssd work at the same time?: I recently just bought an ssd to upgrade my pc and add it with my already existing hard drive. I installed windows on it, run it and all, but i have come to realize that my hdd wasn’t detected so i decided to take the ssd off to figure out where the problem is from, but my pc...
  3. How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it?: I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS from my HDD to an SSD but i don't have the partition of Windows 10 OS to do so, Since my HDD with the OS on it is way bigger than the SSD i can't just clone it, i need to seperate the OS in a partition from the HDD.So I'm asking if there is...
  4. How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i make a partition in my current HDD with only my Windows 10 OS in it?: I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS from my HDD to an SSD but i don't have the partition of Windows 10 OS to do so, Since my HDD with the OS on it is way bigger than the SSD i can't just clone it, i need to seperate the OS in a partition from the HDD.So I'm asking if there is...
  5. Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?: Hi! I bought a new SSD and cloned the OS from my HDD into it. I tried booting the computer without the HDD opened the computer, physically removed it and booted. It booted just fine but I noticed that the pathway for my apps is still C:/.... when the letter for the OS in...
  6. Migrating only the os from un-partitioned HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating only the os from un-partitioned HDD to SSD?: HDD has only one partition, in which is the windows 10 also. So how can I do it? Should I (if it's possible) split the HDD to allocate for Windows and clone only that particular partition? How to do that if it's possible? I also want to keep anything else on HDD, I don't want...
  7. Should I make a partition for Windows 10? How big should my partition for Windows 10 be?

Should I make a partition for Windows 10? How big should my partition for Windows 10 be?: I'm planning on installing Windows 10 (64 bits) on a 120gb SSD and also I will be using a 500gb HDD for other files. I would like to have other files on my SSD, should I divide my SSD in 2 partitions? If so, how big should the Windows 10 partition be? (Considering updates) Or...
  8. How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10?

How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10?: I always used the entire disk for my installation but I heard that I should make two disks: 1) for the system itself. 2) for software ( games, programs etc.. ) My HHD is 1TB, is the true what I wrote above? Also how big should be the above partitions? submitted by...
  9. Delete OS Partition on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete OS Partition on HDD: Hi so tomorrow I'm going to change my OS from an HDD to an SSD. Thing is that I want to use my HDD that I'm replacing as back up storage and I heard you can keep your info from the old HDD without having to format it, but you can delete the OS partition of the drive. Anyone...
  10. How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?: I have a new system running under Win 10 on which I want to use an SSD as the boot drive with all my s/w and a WD 6TB Black HDD for my data. However, when I format the 6TB drive it shows up as two unallocated segments, one of 2048.00 GB and the other with 3541.03 GB. The...