Windows 10: How can I make all picture files in Windows Explorer default to medium icons?

Discus and support How can I make all picture files in Windows Explorer default to medium icons? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The latest update screwed everything up and now all my pictures are defaulting to large icons. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DeportThatBeanBoy, Jun 14, 2020.

1. How can I make all picture files in Windows Explorer default to medium icons?

The latest update screwed everything up and now all my pictures are defaulting to large icons. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

submitted by /u/DeportThatBeanBoy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DeportThatBeanBoy, Jun 14, 2020

2. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Phil D Win User
    File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed

Hello! First time posting here.

I asked this question about a week ago on the HP community, and although a suggestion was offered, the problem persists.

I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the default:

How can I make all picture files in Windows Explorer default to medium icons? [​IMG]

to this:

How can I make all picture files in Windows Explorer default to medium icons? [​IMG]

Notice they are folder icons with the unique icon picture 'overlay'

Brief history:
    • I have had my HP Spectre x360 15 (4K touch display) for about 6 weeks.
    • Initial file transfer was done using Windows (7) Easy Transfer (migwiz) which I have used on other machines without incident. Using the advanced selection; no settings were transferred, just Documents, Pictures, Music, Video.
    • I do not use any outside themes; just experimented a few times using the built in HP themes.
    • I have gone so far as to try overriding the current icons using the registry modifications mentioned in this Ten Forums post: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10
    • When I tried the suggestions in Option One, the only change which occurred was that the unique icon picture was removed and only the plain folder icon remained. Yet the registry entries outlined in Option 2 “Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users” all appear to be correct.
    • There are no “exotic” programs on the computer – just Office 365, Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements, Bootstrap Studio, Inkscape, etc.
    Purchased at the same time was an HP Envy x360 laptop which is almost identical in specifications and installed programs except it has a regular Full HD touch screen (1920x1080). The Navigation Pane icons there are the expected 'default' as shown in the second screenshot.

Any ideas what may have caused this and any suggestions how to get the default icons back?

Phil D, Jun 14, 2020
  4. How can I make all picture files in Windows Explorer default to medium icons?

Windows 10 Picture Files not updating thumbnails

Hi,

I realize that the picture files are not updating thumbnails. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to perform “Disk Cleanup”, cleaning up the temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files, so as to check the thumbnail view of the photo is updated by cleaning up your temporary data.

Further, if the issue persists then you can also follow these steps:

• Right click in the Folder that contains the images.

• Select View.

• Note the current icon size, and change it to another size (ie: "Medium-Icons" to "Large-Icons", then back to "Medium-Icons").

• This causes the icons to be resized and their cache updated.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

How can I make all picture files in Windows Explorer default to medium icons?

1. How can I make all picture files in Windows Explorer default to medium icons? - Similar Threads - picture files Explorer

2. How can I make File Explorer to default to Quick Access when saving a file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I make File Explorer to default to Quick Access when saving a file?: How can I make File Explorer to default to Quick Access when saving a file?When I want to save a file, I get this File Explorer window:It defaults to a D:\ drive, as you can see.Is it possible to make it default to Quick Access?Setting “Open file explorer to: Quick Access”...
  3. How can I make File Explorer to default to Quick Access when saving a file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I make File Explorer to default to Quick Access when saving a file?: How can I make File Explorer to default to Quick Access when saving a file?When I want to save a file, I get this File Explorer window:It defaults to a D:\ drive, as you can see.Is it possible to make it default to Quick Access?Setting “Open file explorer to: Quick Access”...
  4. How to make file explorer the default file browser

How to make file explorer the default file browser: HelloI recently changed my default file explorer from "file explorer" to "Files". Now I've uninstalled that app but still when i press win+e it opens files. i want to change this and make "file explorer" the default file browser and win + e should launch "file explorer". How...
  5. How to make file explorer the default file browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make file explorer the default file browser: HelloI recently changed my default file explorer from "file explorer" to "Files". Now I've uninstalled that app but still when i press win+e it opens files. i want to change this and make "file explorer" the default file browser and win + e should launch "file explorer". How...
  6. How to make file explorer the default file browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Icons to Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons to Pictures in File Explorer: In Windows 10 20H2 OS Build 19042.630 and in File Explorer I would like to see the actual pictures and not just the icons when I open a folder that has either some form of jpeg or video. Ive tried to look through the Tutorials and cannot seem to find the correct one to fix...
  8. make Large Icon the default in Windows 10 File explorer

make Large Icon the default in Windows 10 File explorer: Hello, I would like to make Large Icon the default view mode in Windows 10 File Explorer. And I have tried these steps: 1 Open File Explorer 2 Open a folder and on the Home Tab, in the Layout section, choose Large Icons or whatever is your preferred view 3 Then click the...
  9. how to make icons remain on medium view

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to make icons remain on medium view: I have windows 10 When I open up some of my folders, they are suppose to be on medium icons. The problem is, whenever I come back to that folder, it is in the details, instead of the icons. How can I get it to stay on medium icons? I still want to be able to see thumbnails...
  10. File Explorer only Medium Icon shows icons and folders

File Explorer only Medium Icon shows icons and folders: My icons disappeared only in (Extra) Large Icons but all of the file and folder icons only appear in medium icon. Ive been trying to solve this by searching through google but it didnt work. The files inside the folder disappeared too.[ATTACH][ATTACH]...