Windows 10: How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?

Discus and support How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to move some folders to the SD chip and leave a shortcut in the original folder on the SSD. That much is easy to do. Unfortunately, when using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thosecht, Sep 11, 2019.

1. thosecht Win User

How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?

I need to move some folders to the SD chip and leave a shortcut in the original folder on the SSD. That much is easy to do.

Unfortunately, when using "Sort by Name", File Explorer lists the shortcuts with the files, not with the folders. I don't want to use "Group by Name" because the resulting list gets cluttered with "labels" (or whatever they're called) to announce each section of the list.

This screen grab shows the problem. I'm looking for a way to configure File Explorer so the folder shortcut "folderC" gets listed between "folderB" and "folderD".

How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders? 702c4d95-fe74-413c-89ac-8223f974f56f?upload=true.jpg

:)

thosecht, Sep 11, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Make list of files in a folder

My impression is that what he wants is a list he can click on. To me that suggests creating one folder with shortcuts to the items in the various media folders.

And perhaps Motim wants that to be a dynamic list- i.e. always up to date with respect to changing content in those folders.

If so, this could be done using Autohotkey, with a script which scans through the files in each folder in turn and for each file use this command to create a shortcut:

How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders? [​IMG]

Motim?

dalchina, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Folder Template with shortcut to folder inside folder.

I showed you the principle of a method that will do what you wish. To apply it to any folder structure you need to understand how it works.

• In my shortcut I defined the "Start in" folder as %CD%. This means that the shortcut must use the
      current folder as its base. In my example this was C:\Templates\Template1\TestA.
    • For the shortcut I used this command line:

explorer.exe ..\TestB\Target

What exactly does this do? Here is the explanation:

1. "..\" tells Explorer to step on up in the directory tree:

C:\Templates\Template1\TestA -> C:\Templates\Template1

2. "TestB" tells Explorer to steop one down in the directory tree:

C:\Templates\Template1 -> C:\Templates\Template1\TestB

3. "Target" tells Explorer to open the file or folder "Target".
    Applying this knowledge, you could create a shortcut that makes Explorer step up two folders:

Explorer.exe ..\..\Template2\TestB\Target

C:\Templates\Template1\TestA

-> C:\Templates\Template1

-> C:\Templates

-> C:\Templates\Template2

-> C:\Templates\Template1\TestB

-> Open "Target"

Armed with this knowledge you can now fix your shortcut yourself.

Frederik Long, Sep 11, 2019
  4. How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?

Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?

1. How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders? - Similar Threads - File Explorer list

2. File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder: This is Windows 10. All my photos are under e:\pictures.In c:\users\sumiyo, I create a shortcut to e:\pictures, which I name pictures. When I double-click on shortcut c:\users\sumiyo\pictures, e:\pictures is opened. Similarly, when I enter c:\users\sumiyo\pictures in the file...
  3. File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder: This is Windows 10. All my photos are under e:\pictures.In c:\users\sumiyo, I create a shortcut to e:\pictures, which I name pictures. When I double-click on shortcut c:\users\sumiyo\pictures, e:\pictures is opened. Similarly, when I enter c:\users\sumiyo\pictures in the file...
  4. File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  6. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  7. Make a list of empty folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Make a list of empty folders: Hi I want to make a spreadsheet of (the full path statements of) all empty folders on a drive (external, USB). I have googled and found 4 or 5 suggestions on how to do this, but couldn't get any of them to work. - - - Alternatively, some kind of DIR statement that gives the...
  8. How to make list of files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make list of files in a folder?: Can someone please tell me How to make list of files in a folder using cmd? Thanks. 163333
  9. Make folder shortcuts appear before folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Make folder shortcuts appear before folders?: Because of the allocation of my files to my hard drive and solid state drive and their respective storage space, I've had to move a lot of things around and create folder shortcuts to keep my method of navigating folders simple as I'm used to. The way I've always named...
  10. Make list of files in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Make list of files in a folder: Hello,I have several hundreds video clips (mp4), arranged in several folders.Wanted to make a list of them, not to print, just a list in the computer.On some site I found this: To write in the address line of the browser the full path to thatfolder and Enter, the list was...