Windows 10: How can i make my user account administator, despite not knowing what the admin accounts...

Discus and support How can i make my user account administator, despite not knowing what the admin accounts... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; There are 5 accounts on my computer. 1 of them is mine. The 4 other accounts are all admin and they all belong to the same person, but they are never... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by LouiseCox2, Feb 3, 2019.

1. How can i make my user account administator, despite not knowing what the admin accounts...

There are 5 accounts on my computer. 1 of them is mine. The 4 other accounts are all admin and they all belong to the same person, but they are never used. The computer is only ever used by me. However, I cant download certain apps, look at websites, or create accounts because I need a stupid admin account password! I don't know the password, so I cant do anything!!!! It's really frustrating. So, how do I make my account an admin account, without needing to know the other admin account passwords?

:)

LouiseCox2, Feb 3, 2019
  2. Try3 Win User

My admin account switched to a user account!

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

Try3, Feb 3, 2019
  3. kenkickr Win User
    Deleting User Accounts

If you can access the admin account through safe mode then all you have to do to remove the other account passwords is go into User Accounts in the control panel and either delete the accounts or, I'm not sure, remove the account passwords.

kenkickr, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Raner Win User

How can i make my user account administator, despite not knowing what the admin accounts...

My admin account switched to a user account!

My account may have gotten corrupt in the update, Don't know for sure.
    I do know this, This mess is way above my paygrade...LOL...
    I really need some help to try to fix this issue.
    The attachments can explain far better than me trying type what exactly is going on.
    All I can say it's looks pretty darn complicated to me.
    I hoping it looks worse than it is.

How can i make my user account administator, despite not knowing what the admin accounts... [​IMG]

How can i make my user account administator, despite not knowing what the admin accounts... [​IMG]

I think the simplest way to address this is to make my account an administrator again.
    If it can be done, I'm going to need a step by step on how to do it.
    Let me know what you all think...Thanks...

Raner, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

How can i make my user account administator, despite not knowing what the admin accounts...

1. How can i make my user account administator, despite not knowing what the admin accounts... - Similar Threads - user account administator

2. How can I make a new account if I do not have access to my admin account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I make a new account if I do not have access to my admin account?: For some reason the two other account were deleted from this laptop, including the admin account, so I cannot even make any new accounts because the family and other users feature in the accounts settings is only available in the admin account....
  3. How can I make a new account if I do not have access to my admin account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I make a new account if I do not have access to my admin account?: For some reason the two other account were deleted from this laptop, including the admin account, so I cannot even make any new accounts because the family and other users feature in the accounts settings is only available in the admin account....
  4. Don't know administator account, username, or password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Don't know administator account, username, or password: Hello, I'm having some trouble with a laptop regarding administrator access. I'm using an HP ProBook 440 G7 running Windows 10 Pro. For context, I was given this laptop for work and it was previously used and potentially set up by another coworker who has since left. I'm...
  5. How to make an account admin if all the accounts are normal users

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to make an account admin if all the accounts are normal users: Hi, I accidentally made all the accounts in my pc normal users there is no administrators how can I make on of them admin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-an-account-admin-if-all-the-accounts/de0c26a5-9cda-45a4-93ba-3b779152de66
  6. Administer / Standard User Accounts

Administer / Standard User Accounts: I want to set up my Microsoft Account with both an Administrator account for making changes and a Standard User account for everyday use. However, I only have one email address. How can I do this? Or must I run as an administrator all the time?...
  7. How do I make a normal user account/create an admin account without admin rights?

How do I make a normal user account/create an admin account without admin rights?: Hello! I would just like to ask the question, how do I create an admin account without admin rights? Keep in mind I do not have a USB to install other software on. If someone could help me with this, feel free to ask questions to help you answer the question. Thank you!...
  8. [Help] How Can I Make My User As Admin ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    [Help] How Can I Make My User As Admin ?: Thank you for accepting me joining you in this wonderful forum. In the past few days, I have benefited greatly from all lessons posted by (Brink) to improve Windows 10 performance and it made me have a agreat windows I have a question that I am looking for an answer for ?!...
  9. No administer accounts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No administer accounts: My pc has unable to enter the sign in screen and keeps going to the "choose an option" blue screen. But when I try to use any of the advanced options it says I need to sign in to an administer account to continue but there aren't any. When i try to reset the pc, it says...
  10. My admin account switched to a user account!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My admin account switched to a user account!: My account may have gotten corrupt in the update, Don't know for sure. I do know this, This mess is way above my paygrade...LOL... I really need some help to try to fix this issue. The attachments can explain far better than me trying type what exactly is going on. All I...