Windows 10: How can I make text dark everywhere?

Discus and support How can I make text dark everywhere? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just built a new system for my wife and I am having great luck. It is a Z170 and i7-6700k, and It has 64 bit Windows 10 Pro. However, it is very hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MPSAN, Dec 8, 2016.

1. MPSAN Win User

How can I make text dark everywhere?

I just built a new system for my wife and I am having great luck. It is a Z170 and i7-6700k, and It has 64 bit Windows 10 Pro. However, it is very hard to read the screens!
    The text or colors are just wrong. I know about web pages using their own colors but I am talking about everything else. Listings in programs like File Explorer are almost impossible to read. It is not so much the size of the text, but there is just not enough contrast between the text color...that I wish were just Black...and the background. What setting am I missing
    Thank You ALL.

:)

MPSAN, Dec 8, 2016
  2. Ri-G Win User

Cannot customize colors in windows 10 and bad update setting.

Do not forget to make the window header and text customizable in color too !

Because that can really be painfull right now if the window header get to dark the text is not readable.

Ri-G, Dec 8, 2016
  3. screen turns out before finished reading etc.

How do you increase the time the screen stays lit up. when I'm reading a text message etc. the screen turns dark before I can read it all. It's very annoying! Is there any way of making the screen stay lit for longer? I need to know how to do it on a 2630
    and a 6101. Thanks

cherylh---01, Dec 8, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Try going to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Maketext and other items larger or smaller.

From there you can use the drop down box to change the text size and make text bold in Title Bars, Menus, message boxes and other items.

Then in the left column click on Adjust Clear Type Text and there is also the option to calibrate color.

Try those and see if they help.

This may also help

[youtube]bJxN4CHT1A4[/youtube]

essenbe, Dec 8, 2016
  5. MPSAN Win User
    Great, I will have to try this tomorrow!
    Thank You so much.

MPSAN, Dec 8, 2016
  6. MPSAN Win User
    I have a Control Panel-Display but not quite what you are showing. I did select the items and checked BOLD and it helped a lot. However, even in File Manager the names are great but the columns like date and file type are still dim. Even the items in Control panel-display can be hard to read. Would it help if I picked a Theme?

MPSAN, Dec 8, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    Did you do the registry edit? Also, in he display settings did you change other items in the drop down menu to bold and possibly increase the font size?

If not, I think the registry edit will make a big difference. You can also try going to Control Panel > Ease of access and look for 'Make the computer easier to see'.

essenbe, Dec 9, 2016
  8. MPSAN Win User

I did not do the reg edit. I will look at the above video again if that is what you mean. I am not having an issue with the right click in File Explorer, but as I said the file names are nice and dark, but other items like date are not. Yes, I did change the items to bold, but the font size of 9 is fine. As I said it was not the size but the text not being a nice bold black.

MPSAN, Dec 9, 2016
  9. fr8549 Win User
    For me, it's the shades of blue that Microsoft has text assigned. I have difficulty, for example, in File Explorer, to see the file information that's in a lighter shade of blue. The filenames are a darker shade, and easier to read, but still make me squint.

I read the recommendations and implemented the registry change you referred to above.

That helped the context menu format, but when I open File Explorer I see that the text is still some shade of blue - darker for the filenames and lighter for the file information.

Is it possible to just change the text color to all black, for readability, without having to go to a high contrast theme and try to re-create the wheel with all the nuances of screen colors?

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on a Dell Precision 4600 laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Frank

fr8549, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I make text dark everywhere? - Similar Threads - text dark everywhere

2. How can I make the clock text bigger?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I make the clock text bigger?: My Windows updated yesterday and now the font for the clock on the taskbar is needlessly small. How do I make it larger and bolder so it is easier to read? There is a ton of room on the taskbar to make the clock bigger....
  3. How can I make the clock text bigger?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I make the clock text bigger?: My Windows updated yesterday and now the font for the clock on the taskbar is needlessly small. How do I make it larger and bolder so it is easier to read? There is a ton of room on the taskbar to make the clock bigger....
  4. How can I make the text on screen darker, please!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I make the text on screen darker, please!!: How can I make the text on screen darker, It is very light grey and difficult to read https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-make-the-text-on-screen-darker-please/5d288934-5fb5-47e5-a8d8-9887772dd639
  5. How can I make the text on screen darker, please!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I make the text on screen darker, please!!: How can I make the text on screen darker, It is very light grey and difficult to read https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-make-the-text-on-screen-darker-please/5d288934-5fb5-47e5-a8d8-9887772dd639
  6. Missing text everywhere

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing text everywhere: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/zbyrte0zcc051.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=ff51f64430ca5cc292b972466a5a19ec813913bd https://preview.redd.it/8jt67g0zcc051.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=094a698c7f904de7790e5c35ed14dbcab84d5995 fix i tried but didnt work:...
  7. How can I make the screen text darker?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I make the screen text darker?: Since I changed to Windows 10 it's all light gray, light blue or yellow. Can't see it very well against a white background. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-make-the-screen-text-darker/7cc7ca68-1e7c-4f41-ae1d-29b542b8b0e0
  8. How can I make Windows Media Player dark?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I make Windows Media Player dark?: Why am I still using it? Because it's simple and it just works, my only gripe is there's no dark mode. How can I make that happen? If you want to recommend a different music player then I'd love to hear it because I can't for the life of me find any decent alternatives....
  9. How can i make TenForums Dark In Microsoft Edge ?Please

in Browsers and Email
    How can i make TenForums Dark In Microsoft Edge ?Please: How can i make TenForums Dark In Microsoft Edge ? please [img] 145849
  10. Text missing everywhere

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Text missing everywhere: Hello! After updating to 1903 in undetermined intervals all my text is missing, from context menus, Explorer or in programs. This problem is exactly described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9voa80/why_is_all_my_text_missing_everywhere_in_windows/ I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. make text darker

2. how to make text print darker