Windows 10: How can I make the num lock stay on?

Discus and support How can I make the num lock stay on? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I boot up the num lock is off. I would like for it to stay on. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks in advance. I tried most of the suggested... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bamagull, Jul 31, 2015.

1. bobfrost Win User

How can I make the num lock stay on?

I tried most of the suggested tips, but only one worked;

Go to Registry HKUsers/Default/ControlPanel/Keyboard and change the Keyboard Indicator value from 2147483648 to 2147483650, i.e. change the last two numbers from 48 to 50.

More details at https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
    Bob Frost

bobfrost, Dec 17, 2015
  2. Atomic77 Win User

I think it always did that.

Atomic77, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Graulges Win User
    Thanks for that. This problem suddenly appeared for me after installing a new Logitech mouse. That change has sorted it.

Graulges, Dec 18, 2015
  4. wjay Win User

I have now tried every fix suggested on here from fast boot to reg changes and nothing works , number lock stays off after shutdown .

5. wjay Win User
    I believe i have found the solution . in registry hkey_current_user go to controlpanel , keyboard , initalkeyboardindicators and modify the number to 2 , using find next change all instances to 2 . Now go to power options in control panel click choose what the power buttons do , then scroll down to fast startup and turn it off .
    I think there is some line in fast startup that reverses the bios instruction .
    It adds just a few seconds to startup but works for me so I'm happy !

6. Steve C Win User
    This is the fix which just worked for me:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

• Turn off fast start-up (if not already off)
    • Run REGEDIT and go to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard
    • Change the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators to 2147483650
    • Reboot & turn on fast start up (if you want it)

Steve C, Jan 27, 2016
  7. Has anybody actually rectified this issue? I've reported it to Microsoft in the feedback from start menu/cortana about a dozen times now and there's still no fix. All everyone keeps suggesting is to change these registry values which does not do anything at all.
    I have managed to get my numlock to be on on the lock screen from a fresh start up, but for every new app that I open up, the num lock will turn itself off, and every time that the computer resumes from sleep the numlock has been turned off again.

manfrommars, Jan 31, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

I can only say my fix at post 19 is working fine after 1 week *Smile

Steve C, Jan 31, 2016
  9. plemons7 Win User
    Windows 10 makers!!

We have tried all the things listed in this thread to make numlock ON the default. Nothing works. Please include this fix in the next update you send out on this!

plemons7, Mar 12, 2016
  10. wjay Win User
    in registry hkey_current_user go to controlpanel , keyboard , initalkeyboardindicators and modify the number to 2 , using find next change all instances to 2 . Now go to power options in control panel click choose what the power buttons do , then scroll down to fast startup and turn it off .
    ~It is necessary to find all instances in registry ohterwise the fix wont work .
    I agree with post on here that this should have been fixed by now , users should not have to amend the registry to make a basic function work correctly , you have to go through all the fix again should you have to re install. Not clever Microsoft .

11. I hate to ruin your parade, but these 'fixes' do not completely solve the issue, at least not for me. Num lock will still turn itself off when the screen is locked or when returning from screensaver. The interesting thing to note is that when I have numlock turned on and press Win+L, then attempt to type in a PIN using my numpad, the first number will enter, but immediately after this, num lock will turn itself off, and stays off until manually turned back on.

manfrommars, Mar 12, 2016
  12. wjay Win User
    Well I am sorry the the fix does not work for you and the expression is 'rain on your parade' not ruin your parade . It may be related to the hardware and version of windows I don't know all i know is I stumbled on it whilst googling the issue and it works on my configuration .

13. How can I make the num lock stay on?

OK Guys, this gona sound kinda nuts, I have a gigabit GA-990fx-Gaming MB and it has the option to turn on the Num Loc...and I did have it set to enable, I have tried ALL the options listed here....and none has worked....so I said what if MS tried to turn Num Loc on but u already have it set to on?? maybe it will disable it on boot due to it being on already?..so I went into BIOS and disabled it....and to my surprise....IT WORKS.....Iv turned my system off for 1/2 hr and booted back up and Num Loc still worked..( u still need to do the Reg tweek) but so far, after a week, its still working for me...

Flying Hawaiian, Apr 26, 2016
  14. There is no setting in my BIOS for num lock. This issue is still happening for me. Always whenever the computer locks itself num lock reverts to being off, but never after waking from sleep or on startup, just when the computer locks itself from screensaver, or when pressing Win+L, etc. (assuming that num lock was already on before sleeping or shut down)

manfrommars, Apr 26, 2016
  15. danstra1 Win User
    I've been searching all over for an answer to this question. I looked in to one forum that showed changes to the Registry. I tried it, but it didn't work. Then I thought to search the rest of the registry for the same key. I found three additional registry keys of the same name:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Control Panel\Keyboard

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Control Panel\Keyboard

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2811650670-4092972000-2562370483-1001\Control Panel\Keyboard

I changed all of the following key values to 80000002 and it worked. For those who don't know much about editing the registry, BE CAREFUL.

Dan

danstra1, May 7, 2016
Thema:

1. How can I make the num lock stay on? - Similar Threads - num lock stay

2. how can i unable num lock?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i unable num lock?: i tried to enable num lock button but i was unable to do so https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-unable-num-lock/f6822e88-57ae-4a74-8396-2b8a4b43c582
  3. how can i unable num lock?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i unable num lock?: i tried to enable num lock button but i was unable to do so https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-unable-num-lock/f6822e88-57ae-4a74-8396-2b8a4b43c582
  4. Num lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    Num lock: bios numlock is on, registry in default user is set to 2 as well as specific users, as they look date formatted i dont think it matters, but they were all 0 so i changed them all num lock turns off every time i log in. why doesn't microsoft listen to the bios setting, or...
  5. How can I turn off the Caps Lock and Num Lock overlay?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I turn off the Caps Lock and Num Lock overlay?: When I toggle caps lock and num lock there is a notification on my screen. How do I turn this off? This doesn't work because I don't have a "Screen configurations" tab (maybe because I am using multiple monitors?). Thanks! submitted by /u/wafflewrestler [link] [comments]...
  6. num lock will not stay on

num lock will not stay on: num lock will not stay on, in the regstry the value is set at two? thanks re https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-will-not-stay-on/2a8683d3-9d36-4b22-94c0-3d71c97bcc0a
  7. num lock

num lock: My num lock and the number keys on the far right of the keyboard do not work while on the internet. They work normally if not. I can not use the keys to include them in an email. Need some help. By the way the number keys on the top of the keyboard work in both formats....
  8. Num Lock

Num Lock: Why can't WINDOWS include a setting so that non-gamers can choose to have Num Lock permanently ON unless the keyboard key is depressed. I've tried several 'fixes' but none work and Num Lock comes up OFF every start-up and sometimes goes off randomly during normal use. My PC...
  9. Num Lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Num Lock: When I restart my computer the num lock is disabled. How do I keep it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_8/num-lock/e59ee399-5c71-4de8-8f07-44744b9ee600
  10. Num lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num lock: How do I get NUM LOCK OFF recognized for numbers to print? Characters will not register. 61221