Windows 10: How can I make Windows automatically offer the deletion of shortcuts with missing targets?

Discus and support How can I make Windows automatically offer the deletion of shortcuts with missing targets? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just switched from Win 7 to Win 10. I use folder shortcuts a lot for organizing reasons. Before this, when I tried to open one where the target... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/The_MellowKing, Aug 19, 2021.

1. How can I make Windows automatically offer the deletion of shortcuts with missing targets?

I just switched from Win 7 to Win 10.

I use folder shortcuts a lot for organizing reasons. Before this, when I tried to open one where the target folder didn't exist anymore, the popup window told me this, and offered me the option to delete it, which was very convenient for me.

In Windows 10, it only offers me a manual browse option to find it.

Actually, I always use Total Commander, but I don't think this is a TC setting, but an OS setting - if there is even a setting for this.

I'm not looking for a maintenance tool to clean a lot of these at once, just to get back the option to do it immediately one by one.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/The_MellowKing
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/The_MellowKing, Aug 19, 2021

2. Missing targets for new shortcuts

If I right click my desktop and try to create a new shortcut, the option is there, but when I click on browse to locate the target, I only have a limited choice. "This PC" is missing, as are all my other drives and Truecrypt mounted volumes. All I have
    access to is things like downloads, favourites and documents, plus a few other spurious files. The missing items display in Windows Explorer as normal. Any ideas how to fix this?

BrianUnderscoreE, Aug 19, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    How do you delete Excel shortcuts in Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What exactly happens when you try to delete the shortcut?

• Are you getting any error message?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

To delete a shortcut

Right-click the shortcut that you want to delete, click
    Delete, and then click yes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Reply with necessary information and I’ll be happy to help you further

Thanks and Regards

Arun B J, Aug 19, 2021
  4. How can I make Windows automatically offer the deletion of shortcuts with missing targets?

Shortcut deletion

Hello Candyrose126,

When a user deletes a shortcut icon, it should not delete the application associated with that shortcut. Also, a shortcut icon includes a small turned arrow in the corner.

To better assist you, do you wish to delete the shortcut from the Desktop and in its target folder? Deleting the executable file from its target folder will make the program unusable.

It would also be best if you can send us a screenshot the shortcut icons you intent to delete.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Aug 19, 2021
Thema:

How can I make Windows automatically offer the deletion of shortcuts with missing targets?

1. How can I make Windows automatically offer the deletion of shortcuts with missing targets? - Similar Threads - automatically offer deletion

2. How can I delete a Shortcut?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I delete a Shortcut?: So my dad used a laptop a couple of months ago and left a shortcut on my desktop. When I try to delete it, it doesn't work. I also can't open or rename it. What should I do?...
  3. How can I delete a Shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I delete a Shortcut?: So my dad used a laptop a couple of months ago and left a shortcut on my desktop. When I try to delete it, it doesn't work. I also can't open or rename it. What should I do?...
  4. How can I delete a Shortcut?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11: I am the administrator of my PC and I am trying to edit the Target in a created shortcut from Xbox Game Pass but the Target box is greyed out and cannot be edited. Is there a way to do this in windows 11?...
  6. How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11

How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11: I am the administrator of my PC and I am trying to edit the Target in a created shortcut from Xbox Game Pass but the Target box is greyed out and cannot be edited. Is there a way to do this in windows 11?...
  7. can i make iscsi target in windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can i make iscsi target in windows 10 pro: good morning to all, i have a doubt in iscsi creation , i have more than 25 computers each computer have 1 extra HDD for backup ,it's not using properly. so i would like to compine whole disk together and make a lun . then share to each and every . so that way who does need...
  8. Can I automatically remove shortcuts on desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I automatically remove shortcuts on desktop?: Hey I have a laptop provided by my organization that automatically adds around 7 shortcuts to my desktop every time I turn on the computer. I'd assume the network admins have done this to help with locating important sites we may need, however, I'm not in need of having the...
  9. How can i make shortcut for Mail

How can i make shortcut for Mail: How can i make shortcut for Mail https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-make-shortcut-for-mail/b2759a70-71d4-43d4-b871-a774f849059a
  10. How can I make a direct shortcut to Control...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I make a direct shortcut to Control...: In this post one guy recommended making a shortcut with: control.exe /name Microsoft.Sound and this works fine to open control panel's Sound window BUT I want it to go deeper into Playback>Speakers>Properties>Enhancements? please take a look at the image below: [ATTACH]...