Windows 10: How can I make Windows use UEFI instead of BIOS without losing any data?

Discus and support How can I make Windows use UEFI instead of BIOS without losing any data? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, How can I make Windows use UEFI instead of BIOS without losing any data? My disk is apparently using MBR right now, which only supports BIOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Warma99, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Warma99 Win User

How can I make Windows use UEFI instead of BIOS without losing any data?

Hi,

My disk is apparently using MBR right now, which only supports BIOS mode.

Currently running 1903, can I easily make this change during the update to 1909?

I've seen some videos but they look kind of concerning, is there an easy way of doing this without losing any data?

Thanks.

:)

Warma99, Dec 24, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss  

Here it is:

Brink, Dec 24, 2019
  3. tfwul Win User

Matter solved, thanks!

FWIW ...

[Screenshot 1]
    From admin command prompt

mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS

and then:

mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullOS

How can I make Windows use UEFI instead of BIOS without losing any data? [​IMG]

=
    [Screenshot 2]
    From admin command prompt

Diskpart
    List Disk

shows the converted drive (disk 1)

=
    [Screenshot 3]
    Run msinfo32
    shows that now UEFI is enabled to boot from.

=
    [Screenshot 4]
    run dskmgmt
    before and after - shows an extra partition

=
    [Screenshot 5]
    Motherboard BIOS (Asus X99 DeLuxe/U3.1)
    select Boot section in BIOS
    select CSM
    select Enabled
    select UEFI and legacy OpROM

'Enabled' and 'UEFI and legacy OpROM' were already selected in my case)
    (tried UEFI only, but that disables the keyboard)

=

Small note:
    In my case the steps outlined in "How to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10" didn't work.
    Start->Settings->Update & Security->Recovery->Restart Now (Advanced Startup)->Troubleshoot->Advanced Options...

from this point on Windows restarted ("Please Wait" and "Turning off your computer"), instead of 'Startup settings",
    instead of getting "UEFI Firmware Settings".

Anyway, matter solved.

tfwul, Dec 24, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

For clarity, you can only change UEFI settings if already booted to UEFI. If booted as legacy bios, that option does not exist.

cereberus, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

1. How can I make Windows use UEFI instead of BIOS without losing any data? - Similar Threads - UEFI instead BIOS

2. Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?: I have a 1TB SSD installed as a C drive, is there any way I can upgrade that to a 2TB SSD without formatting or losing any data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-my-c-drive-without-formatting-or/cae2b53a-4bab-433c-8790-3e186caf6fdd
  3. Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?: I have a 1TB SSD installed as a C drive, is there any way I can upgrade that to a 2TB SSD without formatting or losing any data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-my-c-drive-without-formatting-or/cae2b53a-4bab-433c-8790-3e186caf6fdd
  4. How can I activate Windows 10 without losing data?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I activate Windows 10 without losing data?: I have an old Toshiba Satellite. It came with Win 7 activated, I decided to upgrade every computer I have to Win 10. The upgrade went smooth on one, but two couldn't update for whatever reason. My computer reverted to Win7 but didn't activate. So, I decided to do a clean...
  5. How can I activate Windows 10 without losing data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I activate Windows 10 without losing data?: I have an old Toshiba Satellite. It came with Win 7 activated, I decided to upgrade every computer I have to Win 10. The upgrade went smooth on one, but two couldn't update for whatever reason. My computer reverted to Win7 but didn't activate. So, I decided to do a clean...
  6. How can I activate Windows 10 without losing data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. UEFI instead of BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI instead of BIOS: Hi guys. So recently i've been checking out my system components and my BIOS seems to be outdated. First of all i want to install UEFI instead of BIOS, and secondly, it says 'Outdated' next to the 'BIOS', which i believe is a bad thing? Even tho google tells me that i don't...
  8. How do I reinstall Windows without losing any data.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I reinstall Windows without losing any data.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bustedcondomdisaster [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dtvu6g/how_do_i_reinstall_windows_without_losing_any_data/
  9. Can I use UEFI instead of BIOS for memtest?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I use UEFI instead of BIOS for memtest?: Hi I'm going to follow this tutorial to do a memtest86 MemTest86+ - Test RAM BSOD Tutorials Is it OK to use this tutorial and boot to UEFI instead? Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials By the way I don't know what bios vs uefi...
  10. Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB?: I have been trying to create a multipurpose bootable USB for myself, I am trying to get to to have a windows installer and a live linux distro with persistence on one usb. but i have been having trouble trying to find a bootloader that can boot both from the same usb in efi...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. create windows 10 system image using efi instead of bios

2. any way to get windows 10 1909 without uefi bios