Windows 10: How can I move a Windows Pro product key from one computer to another?

Discus and support How can I move a Windows Pro product key from one computer to another? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently bought the Windows Pro product key so I could upgrade Windows Home to Windows Pro. I activated that key on computer A. But, that computer is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JerryPope0, Jun 13, 2020.

1. How can I move a Windows Pro product key from one computer to another?

I recently bought the Windows Pro product key so I could upgrade Windows Home to Windows Pro. I activated that key on computer A. But, that computer is having problems so I bought computer B, which has Windows Homes.

Because the product key is only good on one computer, how can I remove the Windows Pro key from computer A so I can use it on computer B?

Jerry

:)

JerryPope0, Jun 13, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key

The keys are there because 1. It is the product key you end up with when you gain a digital license for Windows 10 Pro through legitimate means and 2. When you do a clean install of Windows 10 (without adding an ei.cfg file), on a computer with a product key for Windows 10 Home stored in UEFI, you can use the generic product key to upgrade the Windows 10 Home that installs by default to Windows 10 Pro - but only if you have an existing digital license for that computer for Windows 10 Pro previously stored on Microsoft Activation Servers.

The reason the generic Windows10 Pro product key will not upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Pro is because you do not have a preexisting digital license for Pro for that computer stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2020
  3. EliSherer Win User
    Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 - Unique Product Key situation

No... let me try again.

• Old computer is running Win7 Pro (SP1) with a Product key I have from a few years ago. The Product is activated already, but I do NOT use this computer at this point, so I didn't worry about using the Product key when moving to the new computer (see below).
    • New computer is running Win10 Pro, with data and OS migrated from the Old computer, (same Product key as above), then Upgraded to Win10 (without getting a new Product Key).
    What I am trying to do now...

• I want to upgrade the OLD computer (Win7 Pro) to Windows 10... using a new Product Key I just purchased.
    • I have tried to do this internally, and also using the ISO burned to a thumb drive. But it does not want to work.
    • Steps:
      • Start from USB drive.
      • Enter New Product Key (or click "I don't have one").
      • Install initiates and then tells me to restart from Windows and then open the installer again to continue.
        • At this point, I actually need to Quit the installation to restart the machine.
      • When restarted, I go to the USB drive and restart/resume the installation process.
      • I have tried to download and not to download updates, but when the installation fails, I see the message, "Something happened" and "Setup has failed to validate the product key".
      • NOTE This happens if I enter the NEW Windows 10 Product Key, or if I skip that step (which I assume means that it will use the old Windows 7 Key for the upgrade).

EliSherer, Jun 13, 2020
  4. MrIndeed Win User

How can I move a Windows Pro product key from one computer to another?

Activating Windows Pro Product key from another computer.

Hi,

Will this work, even if the Windows 10 Pro is tied to the OEM license?

Is there a way to check if the Windows 10 Pro license is tied to the OEM license on the computer?

MrIndeed, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

How can I move a Windows Pro product key from one computer to another?

1. How can I move a Windows Pro product key from one computer to another? - Similar Threads - move Pro product

2. Can I and if so how do I move windows from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I and if so how do I move windows from one computer to another: If I build a new computer and download windows 11 on it. Can i move my retail windows 10 license from my old computer to my new or do I have to buy a new license?...
  3. Can I and if so how do I move windows from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I and if so how do I move windows from one computer to another: If I build a new computer and download windows 11 on it. Can i move my retail windows 10 license from my old computer to my new or do I have to buy a new license?...
  4. Can I and if so how do I move windows from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Can I and if so how to I move windows form one computer to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I and if so how to I move windows form one computer to another: If I build a new computer and download windows 11 on it. Can i move my retail windows 10 license from my old computer to my new or do I have to buy a new license?...
  6. Can I and if so how to I move windows form one computer to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I and if so how to I move windows form one computer to another: If I build a new computer and download windows 11 on it. Can i move my retail windows 10 license from my old computer to my new or do I have to buy a new license?...
  7. Can I and if so how to I move windows form one computer to another

8. icons move from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Support
    icons move from one computer to another: Hi guys, When I boot my laptop I get the icons from my desktop/tower computer on my laptop desktop. I delete them but on the next boot they come back. I think it's due to onedrive. I thought it had to do with syncing so I turned it off but still the same thing. I googled the...
  9. Activating Windows Pro Product key from another computer.

Activating Windows Pro Product key from another computer.: Hi, I am trying to activate my new laptop with a Windows 10 Pro license key from another computer. The other computer has two licenses, one home, and one pro. I got the pro license free from Microsoft because I was in the insider program during the early preview builds....
  10. Activating Windows Pro Product key from another computer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Activating Windows Pro Product key from another computer.: Hi, I am trying to activate my new laptop with a Windows 10 Pro license key from another computer. The other computer has two licenses, one home, and one pro. I got the pro license free from Microsoft because I was in the insider program during the early preview builds....