Windows 10: How can I move just the OS to my SSD?

Discus and support How can I move just the OS to my SSD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My laptop came with a 1 TB hdd and a 128 GB ssd. I've used up approximately 700 GB of the hdd and have noticed it has been slower. After now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/shortforrossel, Jun 12, 2020.

1. How can I move just the OS to my SSD?

My laptop came with a 1 TB hdd and a 128 GB ssd. I've used up approximately 700 GB of the hdd and have noticed it has been slower. After now understanding that the SSD would be much faster, I want to move just Windows 10 to the ssd so I can boot from it but still have my programs and what not on the hdd. Does anyone have any idea how to do this (if possible)? Thank you!

For some clarification, I had to install Windows myself at the beginning, and having not known much, I put it on the hdd. Now the ssd just serves as a place to store some files.

submitted by /u/shortforrossel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/shortforrossel, Jun 12, 2020
  2. techguy31 Win User

64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, Jun 12, 2020
  3. how to migrate only the OS to a new SSD

hi

i gust got a new SSD

and i want to move my OS and only my OS over to it

so that i can boot from it.

if any one can give me a step by step guide to it that would be grate

some PC info

i have windows 10 64bit

the SSD is 120GB

mrhexeberg, Jun 12, 2020
  4. How can I move just the OS to my SSD?

Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

To do so, follow the steps below:

Step 1.
    Clone OS to SSD

Step 2. Enter into BIOS and set the SSD as the first boot disk.

Step 3. Change the old drive to D:\ (you'd better do a disk backup of the old drive in adavance).

Hope my answer will give you a hand.

Paper Plane-4567, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

How can I move just the OS to my SSD?

1. How can I move just the OS to my SSD? - Similar Threads - move SSD

2. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  3. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  4. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  6. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  7. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

8. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC: I am trying to move contents from an old PC with windows 10 to a new PC with windows 11. What I've done is connect a new SSD to the old PC so I can directly copy all of the files. The operation appears to finish without any issues. And when I right click properties of the...
  9. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC: I am trying to move contents from an old PC with windows 10 to a new PC with windows 11. What I've done is connect a new SSD to the old PC so I can directly copy all of the files. The operation appears to finish without any issues. And when I right click properties of the...
  10. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC