Windows 10: How can i move my active partition to another disk?

Discus and support How can i move my active partition to another disk? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here is my situation and hoping i can get some help: 1) After checking the PC health checker for win11 upgrade, I found that my computer can't run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sofortune, Jun 26, 2021.

1. sofortune Win User

How can i move my active partition to another disk?

Here is my situation and hoping i can get some help: 1) After checking the PC health checker for win11 upgrade, I found that my computer can't run Win11 because i don't have secure boot. After trying to turn it on in my BIOS to no avail, it seems it's due to me having installed windows in "Legacy" mode. 2) I previously had a 2TB HDD, and later installed a SSD. The system reserved partition is still on the SSD but the OS is installed on the SSD. 3) From doing some research it seems that i needed to convert my drive to GPT in order to activate secure boot, which i converted it but secure boot still would not work. 4) I tried to deactivate my 2 TB HDD and the computer says it can't boot from the disk, so i came to the conclusion that the System reserved partition needs to be on the GPT drive as well and then maybe secure boot will work. 5) Here is where i am stuck, i made a new partition on the GPT drive, cloned the system partition drive but i can't change it to an active partition. So my question is there anyway to do this without losing the disk data? My key objective is to enable secure boot ultimately... WIndows Version: 21H1 Build 19043.1081

:)

sofortune, Jun 26, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 27, 2021
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Jun 27, 2021
  4. How can i move my active partition to another disk?

unmark a partition as "active"

Hello Bob,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Please be informed that marking a partition as active on a basic disk means that the computer will use the loader (an operating system tool) on that partition to start the operating system. An active partition is a partition on a hard drive set as the bootable
    partition that contains the operating system. So it is not advisable to configure anything related to boot partition.

Please follow the below steps to unmark the partition as active:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• Type in diskpart and press Enter.
    • To identify which disk you need to work with. Type the command: list disk.

This will list all the drives connected to your computer.

• To select the disk enter the command: select disk n

"n" will correspond to the disk # for the ssd you are referring to.

• To list all the partitions on the disk enter the command:
      list partition

• To select a partition use: select partition n

Substitute "n" correctly and it will select the particular partitions on that drive.

• To unmark the current partition as active use the command line:
      inactive

• Exit the command prompt using command:
      exit

• Reboot the system to let the changes happen.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 27, 2021
Thema:

How can i move my active partition to another disk?

1. How can i move my active partition to another disk? - Similar Threads - move active partition

2. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can i delete these files or move them to another disk?: can i delete the 8 files that are taking up most of the space? to move them to diskC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-these-files-or-move-them-to-another/2e542a31-e99d-4cac-a7aa-99f739e3336b
  3. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i delete these files or move them to another disk?: can i delete the 8 files that are taking up most of the space? to move them to diskC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-these-files-or-move-them-to-another/2e542a31-e99d-4cac-a7aa-99f739e3336b
  4. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can i move my active partition to another disk?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can i move my active partition to another disk?: Here is my situation and hoping i can get some help: 1) After checking the PC health checker for win11 upgrade, I found that my computer can't run Win11 because i don't have secure boot. After trying to turn it on in my BIOS to no avail, it seems it's due to me having...
  6. Moving to another disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving to another disk: How to move everything (files, programs, games and etc) from one non-system disk to another? Symbolic links will not work, because the old disk will be disabled after the transfer. submitted by /u/bogdan_nickitin [link] [comments]...
  7. How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?: Years ago, I bought a second hand PC with a small HDD. I formatted it and set a small 60gb as drive Cto install windows. I got a bigger HDD recently and clone the old HDD to the new one. Now I realize that 60GB is too damn small for Windows. The HDD has two partition, C and...
  8. move disk to another computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    move disk to another computer: I've noticed no real hangups when moving a win10 disk to another computer and booting from it. A computer died this morning and was looking for a quick solution, so I grabbed a spare working tower and added the disk from the dead computer. This is a domain workstation and...
  9. Moving the System partition from one disk to another

Moving the System partition from one disk to another: Hello everybody, I'm having an issue with the setup of my Windows 10 computer. I'm pretty lost right now. A few months ago, I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 in disk 0 (SSD). Because I had several work files, during installation I've maintained an old disk also...
  10. How do I move ESP - EFI SYstem Partition - from a partition to another

How do I move ESP - EFI SYstem Partition - from a partition to another: How do I move ESP - EFI SYstem Partition - from a partition at higher offset to another lower one, as was prepared ? [img] Many thankfulness for sincere helpful effort 101436