Windows 10: How can I move my desktop/downloads folders to a new drive?

Discus and support How can I move my desktop/downloads folders to a new drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I have a C: drive with Windows 10 on it and a T: drive for all my personal files and programs, I don't remember exactly how I did it but years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kallut0, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Kallut0 Win User

How can I move my desktop/downloads folders to a new drive?

Hello! I have a C: drive with Windows 10 on it and a T: drive for all my personal files and programs, I don't remember exactly how I did it but years ago I managed to move my desktop and downloads folders to this T: drive without issues.I'm planning to buy a new drive because T: is starting to "die" because it's old, and I want to make sure that I will cause no problem moving these folders to a new location.So, I have to make a specific folder? Or I just need to select the drive as the new location?I hope I'm explaining myself, thank you.

:)

Kallut0, Oct 13, 2021

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 13, 2021
  3. Windows 10 desktop renamed "downloads"

Hi,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

How did you exactly change the default folder for downloads to desktop? Is it through Internet explorer/through any other source?

As the issue started after setting the default folder for downloads to desktop, I suggest you to change the default folder for downloads to Download folder. (Follow the same procedure as you have did to change the default folder for downloads
    to desktop)

You may try this steps and check if you are able to rename the folders names for desktop and downloads.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows explorer.

• Click on This pc on the left navigation pane.

• Open the drive where Windows 10 is installed. (Ex: open C:/ drive if the Windows 10 is installed in c drive)

• Click on Users and select
      user name
      . (user name is the user you have logged in to the computer at present)

• Right click on Downloads folder and click on
      Rename and change to Desktop. (Do the same step for the Desktop folder also)

You may try to reset the view settings of the folders and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to open File Explorer.

• Click on the This PC on the left navigation pane.

• Click on the View tab at the top of the File explorer window.

• Click on Options and select
      Change folder and search options

• Navigate to the View tab in folder options window.

• Click on Reset Folders. (Click on Yes if any dialog box prompted)

• You may click on Restore defaults
      to restore the default settings for the folder.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 13, 2021
  4. How can I move my desktop/downloads folders to a new drive?

creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 13, 2021
Thema:

How can I move my desktop/downloads folders to a new drive?

1. How can I move my desktop/downloads folders to a new drive? - Similar Threads - move desktop downloads

2. Moving download folder to C:\ drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving download folder to C:\ drive: So the other day I reinstalled my windows 11 and I moved my downloads folder to D:\ drive and now I want to move it to C:\ Drive but an error keeps popping up "Failed to build regular subdirectories under D:\Config.Msi". Access is denied."...
  3. Moving download folder to C:\ drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving download folder to C:\ drive: So the other day I reinstalled my windows 11 and I moved my downloads folder to D:\ drive and now I want to move it to C:\ Drive but an error keeps popping up "Failed to build regular subdirectories under D:\Config.Msi". Access is denied."...
  4. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  5. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  6. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can not move Desktop folder

Can not move Desktop folder: I'm trying to stop my OneDrive account to use iDrive. However, I can't move my Desktop folder now that I've unlinked OneDrive from the cloud.Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-move-desktop-folder/082f9566-460e-4ed0-9a22-66ecd0de74d2
  8. I tried to move my Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders to my E drive and now they're...

I tried to move my Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders to my E drive and now they're...: [ATTACH] As you can see they are all labelled as E:\, and double clicking on them brings me to my E drive. My intention was to still be able to use and access them like normal but instead of the files being saved on my C, have the actual files themselves saved in my 2TB hard...
  9. Moving user folder to new Drive

Moving user folder to new Drive: Hi I have just bought a new PC that has 2 drives never had this before. The C Drive is the SSD which is small and then it has a D Drive which is 2 TB. I wanted to move my User folders to the D drive . I thought I had done it but it hasnt worked properly. On the C drive my...
  10. My Downloads folder is filling up my C drive...how do I move it?

in Windows 10 Support
    My Downloads folder is filling up my C drive...how do I move it?: Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but I'd rather have Win10 see and...