Windows 10: How can I move my windows license from a bad motherboard to another of same make?

Discus and support How can I move my windows license from a bad motherboard to another of same make? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have two Gigabyte G41M-ES2L boards. OLD I know but read on please. One was working. It was upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 during the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Henry Ramsey, Dec 10, 2019.

1. How can I move my windows license from a bad motherboard to another of same make?

I have two Gigabyte G41M-ES2L boards. OLD I know but read on please.

One was working. It was upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 during the free upgrade period.

The other may have had windows XP on it, but never anything more.

The one that was working with windows 10 is now having problems booting. I thought it was the hard drive, but it's

something else. It hangs trying to install windows 10, 7 OR XP. All exhibit same problem hang at random points while

installing or even after install.

I tried the second board and it was abled to install windows 10 without errors, but it has no current associated windows license digital or otherwise.

I want to move the windows 10 digital license from the bad board to the good board. Is there a way to do this?

If I can locate the windows 7 product key that was upgraded to windows 10 in the bad board could I use THAT

on the good board at least?

I know the age of the hardware, but it is only for internet and email use of a man who is 74 and just came from prison so he

has no money for a new computer. He was actually considering an "internet special" used Dell PC with a Core2due E7500

which is the same chip I have on this board. So if I can get this computer working he would not have to spend $100 on a 10 yr

old PC.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

:)

Henry Ramsey, Dec 10, 2019
  2. harshsyd Win User

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi, so recently I built a PC in 2014 and now the motherboard is starting to go really fishy and I can feel it is slowly going to die.

I've got Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC, with a Gigabyte Motherboard. It was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it is a RETAIL version if I check via "cmd: slmgr -dli".

Now in a few days there's two things I might do; Replace my faulty motherboard to a new one (same model) OR since it is a second fail, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS.

Now I've got a few questions;

• If I replaced my motherboard to same gigabyte model (except the serial/ID will change for sure), Windows will mostly fail to activate right? If I change/replace to another same model motherboard, can I reactivate Windows? (I tried this on my first fail
      last year, and installing win8 and re-upgrading allowed me to activate).
    • If I changed motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS, will I still be able to reactivate Windows?
    I've got my license linked to my Microsoft Account. I've online that after a hardware fail/change I can still activate Windows after all.

Also I got some questions on how this account links work;

• So if I linked my License to my MS Account, I should be able to activate on a motherboard replacement right? (Gigabyte model) - by clicking "I changed hardware recently".
    • How about if I change Motherboard to an ASUS one, will I still be able to activate via using MS Account Link?

Also one my first fail; I cannot remember for sure but I think I just input my Windows 8 key into Windows 10 on my first-time replaced Gigabyte mobo and activation was fine.

ALSO: As my license is Retail; And a Retail license should allow transfer rights, wouldn't I be able to transfer my license anyway from my current motherboard to my new replaced/new company mobo? If so, how would I perform this step? Would
    I need to deactivate on this faulty mobo first or what so?

Thanks! I'm a bit confused!

harshsyd, Dec 10, 2019
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Dec 10, 2019
  4. How can I move my windows license from a bad motherboard to another of same make?

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

How can I move my windows license from a bad motherboard to another of same make?

1. How can I move my windows license from a bad motherboard to another of same make? - Similar Threads - move license bad

2. how to move win11 license from dead motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move win11 license from dead motherboard: Googling I read that I can uninstall retail win11, then install on another system. However, the motherboard is dead, so cannot uninstall. Can I just delete it from my Microsoft account similar to deleting one of my 365 family shares?Is this explained better somewhere? I...
  3. how to move win11 license from dead motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move win11 license from dead motherboard: Googling I read that I can uninstall retail win11, then install on another system. However, the motherboard is dead, so cannot uninstall. Can I just delete it from my Microsoft account similar to deleting one of my 365 family shares?Is this explained better somewhere? I...
  4. can i simpy move my SSD with windows 10 pro on it from one motherboard to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can i simpy move my SSD with windows 10 pro on it from one motherboard to another: Hello I hope you can assist me PleaseI dont have a product key because Windows 10 pro was a free upgrade, so i have a digital entitlement, but can i use the Windows 10 generic key to activate Windows 10 pro on my New Motherboard ?so as far a i can tell i should not have to...
  5. can i simpy move my SSD with windows 10 pro on it from one motherboard to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i simpy move my SSD with windows 10 pro on it from one motherboard to another: Hello I hope you can assist me PleaseI dont have a product key because Windows 10 pro was a free upgrade, so i have a digital entitlement, but can i use the Windows 10 generic key to activate Windows 10 pro on my New Motherboard ?so as far a i can tell i should not have to...
  6. can i simpy move my SSD with windows 10 pro on it from one motherboard to another

7. How i can transfer my windows licence to another motherboard and another ssd?

How i can transfer my windows licence to another motherboard and another ssd?: How i can transfer my windows licence to another motherboard and another ssd? Can i use my old license key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-transfer-my-windows-licence-to-another/8b53b809-0baa-4789-a30b-2c5e59a0d15a
  8. How i can transfer my windows licence to another motherboard and another ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How i can transfer my windows licence to another motherboard and another ssd?: How i can transfer my windows licence to another motherboard and another ssd? Can i use my old license key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-transfer-my-windows-licence-to-another/8b53b809-0baa-4789-a30b-2c5e59a0d15a
  9. Can I move the window license to another device?

Can I move the window license to another device?: So my desktop just died, I think it's the motherboard. I wonder if I can use the same license if I got another motherboard? And what if I bought a new laptop or desktop? Does it have time limit cause I just activate it quite recently, and I don't have the money to get a new...
  10. HOW CAN I MOVE MY DIGITAL WINDOWS 10 LICENSE FROM MY CURRENT ACCOUNT TO ANOTHER ONE?

HOW CAN I MOVE MY DIGITAL WINDOWS 10 LICENSE FROM MY CURRENT ACCOUNT TO ANOTHER ONE?: Can someone help? For some business issues, I want to move my windows 10 license (linked to my current Microsoft account) to another account that I've created. How can I do?...