Windows 10: How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux

Discus and support How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi My windows 10 system boots directly from windows 10 C drive. Usually windows 10 boots from a small boot (500 mb) partition but I moved the partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zxvadsf, Mar 14, 2021.

1. zxvadsf Win User

How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux

Hi
    My windows 10 system boots directly from windows 10 C drive. Usually windows 10 boots from a small boot (500 mb) partition but I moved the partition to C drive using macrium reflect boot repair. When I install linux it wont boot since there is no boot partition anymore. How can I restore boot partition . I install linux but it wont boot . The system directly boots to windows. Grub wont show up.
    I tried making a partition and using macrium reflect again but this wont work.

Thanks.

:)

zxvadsf, Mar 14, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 14, 2021
  3. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Mar 14, 2021
  4. sttubs Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

1. How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux - Similar Threads - move boot files

2. Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?: I want to remove that hard drive from pc because it is starting to fail https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-move-windows-boot-manager-to-another-drive/49d45fc6-2fe3-43fe-961d-0c7e6037786d
  3. Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?: I want to remove that hard drive from pc because it is starting to fail https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-move-windows-boot-manager-to-another-drive/49d45fc6-2fe3-43fe-961d-0c7e6037786d
  4. Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10?: If your Windows computer has low disk space, you might be looking for a way to clear disk space – especially on the System Drive. Now, does Windows show you all the files and folders it contains by default? No. There are some protected files and folders that remain hidden by...
  6. Move the boot partition to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move the boot partition to another drive?: My situation is as follows: My Desktop has 2 different SSDs: First has a WS19 install and the boot partition, Second has only the Windows 10 partition. I want to delete the WS19 partition and move W10 into its place. Am I right, that I have to keep the original boot...
  7. Moving windows 10 to another drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving windows 10 to another drive: Hi all, So I installed a NVMe drive on my desktop computer. My windows 10 install right now is on a SATA drive, and I would like to move it to my NVMe drive as I want to get faster load times and all. Any ideas? The only way I know of is to totally reinstall windows, which...
  8. Moving boot partition to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving boot partition to another drive: I've found very mixed things about this, most making it seem too difficult to be worthwhile. I have Windows 10 dual booting with OSX, and for some reason, Windows put its bootloader on my HDD which I use solely for backup purposes. Windows itself is installed to its own SSD....
  9. How can I move windows from the C drive to another hard drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I move windows from the C drive to another hard drive?: My laptop has recently had multiple bsod, I didnt give it much attention until I decided to scan my hard drive and realized that the C has a physical bad sector, and to my luck I got a bsod and since then can't be on the laptop for more than 10 minutes without getting a...
  10. Moving Windows Subsystem for Linux to another drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Moving Windows Subsystem for Linux to another drive: Help me to move Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL to another driver, not C:\ Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-windows-subsystem-for-linux-to-another/2f278008-00ed-4cdd-b854-b6fd01de1e29