Windows 10: How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?

Discus and support How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a new system running under Win 10 on which I want to use an SSD as the boot drive with all my s/w and a WD 6TB Black HDD for my data. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by woneil, Nov 22, 2015.

1. woneil Win User

How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?

I have a new system running under Win 10 on which I want to use an SSD as the boot drive with all my s/w and a WD 6TB Black HDD for my data. However, when I format the 6TB drive it shows up as two unallocated segments, one of 2048.00 GB and the other with 3541.03 GB. The smaller one is available for a simple partition under Win 10 Disk Management, but actions for the larger one are all greyed out. When I make a simple partition in the smaller one the option to extend the partition is greyed out. Does anyone know the secret to using the full 6TB under Windows 10?

:)

woneil, Nov 22, 2015
  2. Jsssssssss, Nov 22, 2015
  3. How can I partition a 6TB HDD under Win 10?

Hey there woneil,

Good work on fixing this. MBR partitions support volumes of up to 2.2TB and you can't really use larger drives with the MBR system. GPT is what you'd need and it's usually quite easy to reformat the drive from the Disk Management from MBR to GPT (the drive
    does get formatted and you won't be able to read any data from it after that so a backup is recommended if you have anything on the drive). Windows 10 requires you to have one single volume in order to convert the drive from MBR to GPT so if you have had two
    separate partitions you were most probably limited by this.

Feel free to ask if you happen to have further questions. How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10? :)

Captain_WD, Nov 22, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

You need to initialize the disk as GPT disk type. MBR disk type only allows to create partition of 2TB max.

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2015
  5. JohnC Win User
    It needs to be a GTP disk. You can rt click on the disk in disk management and convert to GTP.

JohnC, Nov 22, 2015
  6. woneil Win User
    Thanks to you and JohnC. I should have thought of that myself. One reason I didn't may be because Disk Management shows no option to convert to GPT. I wonder whether this could be because I have the "home" Win 10 rather than the "pro". Any further suggestions?

woneil, Nov 22, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

You can also do it via diskpart commands, but I would have to look that up. MiniTool partition wizard won't destroy any data already on the drive, if you have data on it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

No need to use third party partition. Open Admin command prompt:
    • Diskpart
    • list disk
    • ========>Take a note of disk numder for the 6TB drive
    • select disk # ====> # from step 3
    • Clean
    • Exit
    • Open disk management. A windows popup. Select GPT to initialize.

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2015
  9. woneil Win User
    Yes thanks, I'd already remembered about Diskpart and used it successfully to convert to GPT, after which Disk Management made me a 5.6TB primary partition without any problem. Diskpart is worth knowing about, see DiskPart Command-Line Options for its commands. You can do most of this via Disk Management, but not all.

woneil, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10? - Similar Threads - partition 6TB HDD

2. Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?: Hi! I bought a new SSD and cloned the OS from my HDD into it. I tried booting the computer without the HDD opened the computer, physically removed it and booted. It booted just fine but I noticed that the pathway for my apps is still C:/.... when the letter for the OS in...
  3. Is 6TB enough to backup 6TB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is 6TB enough to backup 6TB?: Hello. This may be a dumb question but... I have a 1TB SSD and 5TB hard drive in my desktop pc. I want to back up everything. All my data, all my files, etc. I plan on running the backup nightly or at least a couple times per week. I'm looking at the WD black hard drive, but...
  4. HDD & Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD & Partition: Hello, I have two internal HDD on my PC. So can I combine two HDD to one partition ? Can I know Pros and Cons of combining like this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-partition/10ea9c37-41dd-47cd-ac5e-2541c2ebb4ed
  5. how to do partition in win 10?

how to do partition in win 10?: how to do partition in win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-do-partition-in-win-10/3c598899-6bea-4639-b5cf-3c615b1b4fbc
  6. How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10?: I always used the entire disk for my installation but I heard that I should make two disks: 1) for the system itself. 2) for software ( games, programs etc.. ) My HHD is 1TB, is the true what I wrote above? Also how big should be the above partitions? submitted by...
  7. How can I remove old HDD, which has system partition on it?

How can I remove old HDD, which has system partition on it?: I bought an new HDD and I want to replace my old 160 GB one, but it has an old windows 7 and a system partition. The drive I want to replace is Drive 1, but I have to boot from it in order to my UEFI find the Op system and the multiboot "menu". [img] drive "I" is the one...
  8. WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting

WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting: Also if the OP hasn't already registered that drive with WD, he should, because the WD Black drives have a full 5 year warranty. I've had WD replace a couple of them in the past.
  9. System HDD (Drive 0) Partitioned. Can I lock it??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System HDD (Drive 0) Partitioned. Can I lock it??: OK, my perfect little world is about to take shape I've got everything ready to fix my foul-ups from the past week and a half but one thing I hadn't really thought of. The physical drive that is my system drive--the one onto which Windows will be installed--has several...
  10. can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?: i just bought new hdd and i want to install win 10 on it. i have a working win 10 and win 10 iso, can i just install win 10 to my other hard drive without usb or dvd? 23799

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to properly install windows 10 on a 6tb hard drive

2. how to get 6tb partition windows

3. 6tb hdd in win 10

4. partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10