Windows 10: how can i password protect/encrypt a folder?

Discus and support how can i password protect/encrypt a folder? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i want to encrypt/ password protect a folder, but when i try to turn on encryption for the folder the area is greyed out, i downloaded winrar and 7zip... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Creep, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Creep Win User

how can i password protect/encrypt a folder?

i want to encrypt/ password protect a folder, but when i try to turn on encryption for the folder the area is greyed out, i downloaded winrar and 7zip but when i try to password protect or encrypt the folder it says folder not found, i edited the registry, i used encryption0 command for cmd but nothing is working.

:)

Creep, Nov 2, 2020

2. Private folders encrypted and password protected folders

Im posting this because i've been looking for a free tool like this sense XP thought people should know about it *Toast :toast:

Windows 7 when combined with Pismo get’s an incredible feature of creating password protected folders ( *.pfo ) which they call as Private Folders. It is just like any other folder to which you can add any folder and do any operation but not password protections just comes out of the box in Windows 7.

Updated :

To create a private folder, you need to make a right click, select new and then private folders

how can i password protect/encrypt a folder? [​IMG]

How to create private folder in windows 7

how can i password protect/encrypt a folder? [​IMG]

To re-lock right click unmount

Windows 7
    private folders

Here are the features which will interest you :

* Password protection.
    * Mount visibility to owner or entire users group.
    * In case you make it available to entire user group, you get option to make it available as network drive
    * Type of access to users , Read or Read and Write

Private folders are just incredible way to share private data with set of people you want. This is what makes private folders rock. Its just not securing your data but also sharing data privately with others. You can download Pismo Private Folder from here

Live OR Die, Nov 2, 2020
  3. Can't encrypt or password protect folders?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced.
    I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Are you logging-in using Administrator User account?
    • Is this issue specific to any particular folder or persist in all the folders?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that you can use to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure. I suggest you to try
    log-in through other Administrator account and perform the below given steps to encrypt the folder and check if it works:

How to encrypt a file

• Right-click (or tap and hold) a file or folder and select Properties.
    • Select the Advanced... button and select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    • Select OK to close the Advanced Attributes window, select
      Apply, and then select OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Nov 2, 2020
  4. twilyth Win User

Private folders encrypted and password protected folders

How good is the encryption?

I use the encrypted file approach and mount it to a drive letter. I like having all those files in the same place and I can copy it to any other computer or backup it up to ftp, server or whatever. All I need is to have a copy of TC installed at the new location. I'm guessing the priv folders feature is like NTFS file security except, would you be able to take ownership on the new machine?

IDK.

If you need solid and/or multi-layer encryption, you have to at least look at TC.

twilyth, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

1. how can i password protect/encrypt a folder? - Similar Threads - password protect encrypt

2. How can I password protect folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I password protect folders?: How can someone who has a personal laptop or tablet e.g. Surface Go with Windows 11 S password protect or encrypt folders? Is Bitlocker something that can be purchased for individuals? Are there any particular applications or alternatives Microsoft recommends for individuals...
  3. How can I password protect folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I password protect folders?: How can someone who has a personal laptop or tablet e.g. Surface Go with Windows 11 S password protect or encrypt folders? Is Bitlocker something that can be purchased for individuals? Are there any particular applications or alternatives Microsoft recommends for individuals...
  4. I cannot password protect/encrypt my folders on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot password protect/encrypt my folders on Windows 11: Hello!I was wondering as to why the option to encrypt or password protect my folders is greyed out in Windows 11, in other word I cannot select the option.I really need this feature for my research subject. Attached below is a screenshot! Help would be much appreciated!...
  5. I cannot password protect/encrypt my folders on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot password protect/encrypt my folders on Windows 11: Hello!I was wondering as to why the option to encrypt or password protect my folders is greyed out in Windows 11, in other word I cannot select the option.I really need this feature for my research subject. Attached below is a screenshot! Help would be much appreciated!...
  6. How To Password Protect A Folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How To Password Protect A Folder?: Hey, so I have been trying to find a way to password protect a folder, for various sets of reasons, and it's a bit weird that this isn't a thing. I have been on multiple different websites and videos, but all they do is give you a .bat file that just hides the folder. This...
  7. How can I password-protect a folder without encryption?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I password-protect a folder without encryption?: I want to password-protect a folder, without encryption -- just require a password to open files in the folder. The only solutions I've seen online involve encryption; how do I do it without encryption? A little background on the "why" in case it helps: I have a new...
  8. How do I password protect a folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I password protect a folder: How do I password protect a folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-password-protect-a-folder/a6e1a357-c248-44c4-adf0-d1fc02f569b2"
  9. HOW CAN I PROTECT A FILE AND A FOLDER USING PASSWORD

HOW CAN I PROTECT A FILE AND A FOLDER USING PASSWORD: HOW CAN I PROTECT A FILE AND A FOLDER USING PASSWORD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-protect-a-file-and-a-folder-using/8fd3cac7-f10c-4888-81b8-855f4445fbff"
  10. How I can protect a folder with password?

How I can protect a folder with password?: I need your support; how i can create a password to protect my folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-protect-a-folder-with-password/9cc8f781-f069-4737-866a-972f39aa7f45"