Windows 10: How can I password protect my laptop?

Discus and support How can I password protect my laptop? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; How can I password protect my laptop?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ipapadi, Oct 17, 2020.

1. ipapadi Win User

How can I password protect my laptop?

:)

ipapadi, Oct 17, 2020

2. password protect

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you referring to BIOS password as Boot password?
    • Is it a login password which you are referring when Windows starts?
    If Login password, provided you are using Local Account on Windows 10 you may follow the below steps:
    • Press Windows + R keys to open Run command
    • Type " control userpasswords2 "
    • Select the account and uncheck "user must login with password"
    • Select apply and Ok.
    If Boot password you may have to contact your computer manufacturer.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 17, 2020
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    How can I find the password for my Windows 10 laptop?

I found a solution to my problem. What I did was:
    1. Open Network & Sharing Center on the laptop.
    2. Click "Change advanced sharing settings"
    3. Expand the "All Networks" item.
    4. Change "Password protected sharing" from On to Off.

Now when I click my laptop name in File Explorer > Networks, it just shows my shared folder without asking for a network credentials password. This is how it used to work before.

Hope this helps others,

4. Laurijan Win User

Password protected Harddisk

Hi!

According to ATA specifications every ATA harddisk (PATA,SATA) must have the possibility be protected by a password - the bios must be compatible but most new ones are.
    A nice progam HD-X Lock makes it possible to install passwords to ones harddisks so that ever time the PC is shut down and is started again a usb-stick or CD-Rom or floppy with this program has to be inserted to provide a password. Otherwise the Harddisk apears to be empty / formatted. A very nice thing if one is a pirate.
    There is a user password and a master password. With the free version of HD-X Lock one can only set the user password - with the full version also the master password which is important cause the factory set master password in all seagte harddisks is well know (seagate+25 spaces) and samsung has no master password at all installed.
    With laptops that have a harddisk password setting in the bios one can not use HD-X Lock because when you set a password with HD-X Lock it is internally scrambled and you can not get the harddisk open without putting the lapstops harddisk into a desktop PC.

Laurijan, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I password protect my laptop? - Similar Threads - password protect laptop

2. How can I password protect folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I password protect folders?: How can someone who has a personal laptop or tablet e.g. Surface Go with Windows 11 S password protect or encrypt folders? Is Bitlocker something that can be purchased for individuals? Are there any particular applications or alternatives Microsoft recommends for individuals...
  3. How can I password protect folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I password protect folders?: How can someone who has a personal laptop or tablet e.g. Surface Go with Windows 11 S password protect or encrypt folders? Is Bitlocker something that can be purchased for individuals? Are there any particular applications or alternatives Microsoft recommends for individuals...
  4. How can I recover my password or reset my laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I recover my password or reset my laptop?: I forgot my password and I don’t have a usb drive to help me reset my password. I also tired to factory reset my laptop but it says I can’t because I have to free up some space first. Is there any way I can recover my password or reset my laptop?...
  5. How can I protect my privacy?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I protect my privacy?: When you install Windows 10 there are some options about data collection. How can I be sure that by disabling those option my privacy is secured? Is there any other option that is hidden or anything? submitted by /u/SixtySecondsToGo [link] [comments]...
  6. how can i password protect/encrypt a folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i password protect/encrypt a folder?: i want to encrypt/ password protect a folder, but when i try to turn on encryption for the folder the area is greyed out, i downloaded winrar and 7zip but when i try to password protect or encrypt the folder it says folder not found, i edited the registry, i used encryption0...
  7. How can I password-protect a folder without encryption?

How can I password-protect a folder without encryption?: I want to password-protect a folder, without encryption -- just require a password to open files in the folder. The only solutions I've seen online involve encryption; how do I do it without encryption? A little background on the "why" in case it helps: I have a new...
  8. How can I password protect Microsoft Solitaire?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I password protect Microsoft Solitaire?: ONLY Microsoft Solitaire. NOT all my apps. NOT my entire computer. NOT my folders. There seems to be no information on how to do this one simple task. Right clicking on the app doesn't even have an option to "view in folder." The only option to keep people from...
  9. HOW CAN I PROTECT A FILE AND A FOLDER USING PASSWORD

HOW CAN I PROTECT A FILE AND A FOLDER USING PASSWORD: HOW CAN I PROTECT A FILE AND A FOLDER USING PASSWORD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-protect-a-file-and-a-folder-using/8fd3cac7-f10c-4888-81b8-855f4445fbff"
  10. How I can protect a folder with password?

How I can protect a folder with password?: I need your support; how i can create a password to protect my folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-protect-a-folder-with-password/9cc8f781-f069-4737-866a-972f39aa7f45"