Windows 10: How can I pin Libraries to the Taskbar?

Discus and support How can I pin Libraries to the Taskbar? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Title says it all. I can pin libraries to start but not to the taskbar. I tired making a shortcut and pinning that, DO NOT try that! *Eek It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sqrly, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Sqrly Win User

How can I pin Libraries to the Taskbar?

Title says it all. I can pin libraries to start but not to the taskbar.

I tired making a shortcut and pinning that, DO NOT try that! *Eek

It started a recurring loop that could only be stopped by hitting the reset button on the case.

:)

Sqrly, Jul 23, 2017

2. "How can I pin MSN to the W10 start window on the lower left corner?"

I came for the same question, but have an additional step: Can the resulting tile be renamed, or the tile image be modified? Many sites, once pinned, have incomprehensible names and the generic "E" icon doesn't help differentiate. Thanks.

MarkCharland, Jul 23, 2017
  3. Delboyaa Win User
    "How can I pin MSN to the W10 start window on the lower left corner?"

I have the same issue, but I want to pin URLs to Start using IE in Windows 10.

I've tried using Edge, but it is a cut-down version of IE and does not do what I want, and have been advised (on this forum) to use IE, but then I find I cannot pin a URL to Start.

Delboyaa, Jul 23, 2017
  4. prikker Win User
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey Sqrly,
    You can create a Library Toolbar... Right Click on Taskbar > New Toolbar > Opens New Toolbar Choose Folder > Point it to your Library Folder.
    How can I pin Libraries to the Taskbar? [​IMG]

Eagle51, Jul 23, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Sqrly, *Smile

You should be able to create a Libraries shortcut on your desktop using the target path below,"Pin to taskbar" the shortcut, then delete the shortcut on your desktop.

*Arrow explorer.exe /e,::{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}

Brink, Jul 23, 2017
  7. Mooly Win User
    I can confirm Shawns method works just fine (as here with custom icons).

Mooly, Jul 23, 2017
  8. Sqrly Win User

No No No! That's how I created the recurring loop *Eek

Cool, I didn't know you could do that. I don't like it but, I like learning new stuff *Biggrin

Thank you, this works.

Thanks to Mooly for the screenshot showing the "Start in" folder.

Found that this causes a problem, posted below.

Sqrly, Jul 23, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help Sqrly. *Smile

Brink, Jul 23, 2017
  10. Sqrly Win User
    Ok, this worked but using it, the process opened every time you click on the shortcut never closes and every time you use the shortcut it creates a new process and eventually you have many "explorer.exe" processes left open doing nothing.

Sqrly, Oct 24, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's suppose to open a new process each time you click on the shortcut.

However, it should be closing the each process that you close as well. Did you refresh or open/close Task Manager to see if there may have just been a delay in refreshing it?

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  12. Mooly Win User
    I have just looked at mine and can confirm that I to see a lot of explorer.exe processes running. All I have done is open the library view from my shortcut and then close the window... and repeat. I would have to do a restart and test again not using the shortcut, and see if that were different.

Mooly, Oct 24, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hmm, I'm seeing the same thing as well now.

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  14. Mooly Win User
    I've tried this again from a restart situation and can confirm that opening libraries via the left hand pane in File Explorer does not appear to cause these multiple entries. I tried around a dozen open and closes of Libraries this way. There was only one explorer.exe process showing that I could see.

When I use the shortcut and look in Resource Monitor at the same time I notice that each closing of the Library window adds a new entry of explorer.exe

These entries only seem to appear at the instant I hit close.

Posted together *Wink

Mooly, Oct 24, 2017
  15. Sqrly Win User
    Thanks for the quick replies. It is comforting to get confirmation that this is not an issue isolated to my own PC. I'm capable of causing enough of those without any help. *chuckle

I'd still like to pin Libraries to the taskbar if anyone finds a better way. It's my opinion this has been blocked on purpose to manipulate people into using quick access.

FYI I'm still on 1703. The Fall update just hasn't got to me yet and I'm not forcing it.

Sqrly, Oct 24, 2017
Thema:

1. How can I pin Libraries to the Taskbar? - Similar Threads - pin Libraries Taskbar

2. Can I pin a website link to taskbar outside of browser pin?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I pin a website link to taskbar outside of browser pin?: I added a website link with a custom icon to my desktop. However, when I try to pin this to taskbar it automatically gets added as a child to my Firefox pin.Is there any way I can pin this directly to the taskbar so that I can see the icon separately from the Firefox pins and...
  3. How can I pin applications to the second monitor taskbar in Windows ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I pin applications to the second monitor taskbar in Windows ?: Since I have 2 wide displays, I like my task bars on the far left and far right sides of the monitor.I don't like all tasks the same on both task bars because there is limited space for icons on the task bar.I routinely keep some on the left and some on the right so I would...
  4. How can I pin applications to the second monitor taskbar in Windows ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I pin applications to the second monitor taskbar in Windows ?: Since I have 2 wide displays, I like my task bars on the far left and far right sides of the monitor.I don't like all tasks the same on both task bars because there is limited space for icons on the task bar.I routinely keep some on the left and some on the right so I would...
  5. How can I pin applications to the second monitor taskbar in Windows ?

6. How do I pin the notepad to the taskbar?

How do I pin the notepad to the taskbar?: How do I pin the notepad to the taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-pin-the-notepad-to-the-taskbar/65e979a0-e819-4193-b8c0-a5a54f30b229
  7. How do I pin "This Pc" to taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I pin "This Pc" to taskbar?: I had put "this pc" in my taskbar before installing windows 11. After the installation, it was still there but I decided to remove it. But now I changed my mind and want it back but there is no way to put it back there. Can someone help with that?...
  8. How do I pin "This Pc" to taskbar?

How do I pin "This Pc" to taskbar?: I had put "this pc" in my taskbar before installing windows 11. After the installation, it was still there but I decided to remove it. But now I changed my mind and want it back but there is no way to put it back there. Can someone help with that?...
  9. How can I Add / Pinning Gmail to the Taskbar

How can I Add / Pinning Gmail to the Taskbar: How can I Add or is it named Pinning Gmail to the Taskbar? I've already Added a Banking Site to it, & Sorry 4 repeating the Question How can I Add or Pin Gmail to the Taskbar [ATTACH]...
  10. How can I pin applications to the second monitor taskbar in Windows ?

How can I pin applications to the second monitor taskbar in Windows ?: I'm not sure there is a way. I'm using dual monitors win 10 right now and the option to pin a program only appears on my primary monitor. However, the apps I closed on the right monitor will open in the same location they were previously when I click the pinned taskbar icon...