Windows 10: How can I prevent automatic updates?

Discus and support How can I prevent automatic updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Glad we got there in the end. *Smile No, it even easier than that. I leave my WiFi as metered permanently. At a time of my choosing I got to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stonefly, Dec 12, 2016.

1. stonefly Win User

How can I prevent automatic updates?

Thanks, Bree. This is all good news.

To think I once did this so simply from the control panel on 8.1! Well, I guess we must keep up with the times. I don't know where it's all going though. It does trouble me that Microsoft obviously wants downloads to be done automatically. I have a long time problem with my internet connection where it won't connect. The way I have always dealt with this is by doing a quick restart, which kicked the modem back into working order. With the automatic updates, the quick restart turns into a 30 to 45 minute ordeal.

I was disappointed with the new calculator. No cube root. No y root of x. No reciprocal. etc... I did find the download for the old Windows 7 calculator, however, and have it on this computer.

stonefly, Dec 13, 2016
  2. SonicBlue Win User

I can't do crazy math but a search does reveal the 10 calc abilities. I like the 10 calc because you can resize it. Big numbers for old folks.*Smile
    Example (x^y)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/use-ne...-10-calculator

SonicBlue, Dec 13, 2016
  3. Barman58 Win User
    @stonefly

The native Windows 10 Calculator is a little more than a one trick pony - It has various additional versions accessed by the Burger icon as highlighted ...

How can I prevent automatic updates? [​IMG]

Barman58, Dec 14, 2016
  4. stonefly Win User

Yes I see they moved reciprocal 1/x to the standard view. I often use cube root and sometimes y root of x. They are missing from the 10 calc.

stonefly, Dec 14, 2016
  5. stonefly Win User
    Well I have Ethernet connection marked as metered, and they're still doin' it. MAKE 'EM STOP! MAKE 'EM STOP!

stonefly, Dec 16, 2016
  6. stonefly Win User
    I think the approach going through "services.msc" is the ticket. I have two of these cheapo computers, well $149 anyway, more expensive than a couple eggs over easy. On the first, I did both. I set Ethernet to metered, and by going through services.msc in the run box, I double clicked Windows Update, clicking "disabled" for startup type: in the properties box.

Both computers have Ethernet set as a metered connection, but only the first has "disabled" set for startup type. I've been using it longer, and Microsoft has yet to kidnap it. The second computer just got kidnapped for a half hour of my time. Apparently, Microsoft does not consider my Verizon connection as Ethernet.

I need two computers, now that I've built my trucking business communications on computers, I need to have one working at all times or it could cost me a load, or loads, or worse. I always keep a backup laptop in the truck. Microsoft isn't reliable enough for my liking. Having two of them is the way I've been dealing with the problem.

stonefly, Dec 16, 2016
  7. I have all connections marked as metered, and they can't do anything without my permission.

How can I prevent automatic updates? [​IMG]

I confirm that the addition of Group Policy Editor does not work in my Home Edition, but metered connections do.

Matthew Wai, Dec 17, 2016
  8. MrTom Win User

I have a computer I use Kodi on 24/7. I don't want Windows update bugging things up. I set the ethernet as Metered and it seemed to work for a while. Then strange things went on with the computer as the HD light kept blinking and internet activity was still going on, but it was going very slowly, in the Kbit range. I also had used O&O ShutUp10 to disable all the reporting from Win 10.

But in the end the thing that really worked was to set the permission of \Windows\SoftwareDistribution directory to deny all access from everyone. Now there's no Windows updates and no crazy HD access either. I may make a script to automate the permissions to enable/disable updates.

I'm hoping the registry method works for the Verizon VZ Access Manager. I have a Windows 10 customer that uses a Verizon USB modem and it's just leaching bandwidth and causing very slow internet in the browser.

MrTom, May 8, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Download a real calculator emulator - RPN is the business.

HP 41cx Emulator : Educalc.net

cereberus, May 9, 2017
  10. My tactic for preventing auto updates is:

1. Open services.msc (you can find it by searching in the Start menu, or by holding the Windows key then tapping R)
    2. Go to Windows Update service, right click, go to Properties, set to disabled, click Apply then OK. Don't force stop the service, else you might corrupt WU or something else while it's running.
    3. Reboot, to be sure it's really not running

This works on all Windows 10 editions, including Home

When you want to update again, just set the service status back to either Manual or Automatic.

AnonVendetta, May 9, 2017
  11. There is no need to disable Windows Update. Disabling autoupdate suffices, and then you don't have to do the following:
    And I don't have to manually check for updates because I have scheduled VBScript to do it automatically.

Matthew Wai, May 9, 2017
  12. Matthew Wai, May 9, 2017
  13. MrTom Win User

MrTom, May 9, 2017
  14. cmcole101 Win User
    I've used the registry to stop automatic updates for years, but this appears to no longer work in Windows 10 (Pro). My computer is on an Enterprise network which uses WU Servers, but I have changed the inherited permissions of the registry key for Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate that sets all users except my administrator account to Read. However, frequently I get the restart timer screen with a message that updates are installed and the system needs to be restarted. I can turn off this scheduler but in minutes to hours it pops back up turned on, and if I don't address it within the allotted time my computer WILL reboot and complete installing, quite often, unwanted updates.

How is it possible that a locked registry key is changed when SYSTEM is set to Read and updates are downloaded and installed, or Restart Scheduler pops back on after I manually turn it off (Group and Registry)?

Thanks for any help you can offer as this is driving me nuts.
    Cole

cmcole101, Oct 14, 2017
  15. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Oct 15, 2017
Thema:

1. How can I prevent automatic updates? - Similar Threads - prevent automatic updates

2. How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?: Hello I recently joined the IT department as a technician, I have laptops HP ProBook 455 G7 that automatically restart during use and close all applications. I use Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.I've even disabled automatic restart on system error in settings but it still hasn't...
  3. How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?: Hello I recently joined the IT department as a technician, I have laptops HP ProBook 455 G7 that automatically restart during use and close all applications. I use Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.I've even disabled automatic restart on system error in settings but it still hasn't...
  4. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  5. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  6. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  7. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?: Hello to everybody, I have Realtek 8822CE wireless adapter installed in my Lenovo IdeaPad Laptop running Windows 10 Home, build 10.0.19042. I'm not able to connect to my home WiFi network with two latest versions of Realtek drivers 2024.0.8.129 of 04.11.2020 is the latest...
  8. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?: Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit...
  9. How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...: I'm planning to install the first version of Windows 10 on my PC because the later versions use more RAM even if there is no apps are open. Now don't lecture me on features that I am missing and security features because I know what I am doing. I just need to prevent Windows...
  10. how to prevent automatic windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to prevent automatic windows update: I wish to check what the windows update does and only install ones I want. There are too many that I do not need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-automatic-windows-update/55cf74a6-0ead-460c-8dc7-71a6e3ac95cb